Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taylor Swift mega-thread

My 11 year old thinks she's great. It was refreshing to watch the Brits with her and see her sing along to Swift and be bemused and unimpressed by Kanye's antics, I think she's on the right track.

My 11 year old thinks she's great. It was refreshing to watch the Brits with her and see her sing along to Swift and be bemused and unimpressed by Kanye's antics, I think she's on the right track.
shes definitely very parent friendly

She's great and very lovely. She's been on Graham Norton a couple of times and was funny too.
When she launched her new album she (and her team) picked followers on Instagram that had tried and failed to meet her at gigs and appearances. She then invited them to her house and played her album for them. I just think she's genuinely really nice which isn't always popular.

She's good mates with Lena Dunham and has just been on holiday with Haim too so she's not that uncool.

I'm so excited about her playing Glastonbury, I really hope it happens. My mates, not so much. [emoji1]

Ffs, we've had Jessie bloody J there, the Sugababes who were awful, Lily Allen. Glastonbury likes a bit of pop. [emoji41]

so it generally is worthless shite?

that sort of mainstream pop? yeah but only because theres so very much of it and it seems to be the ultimate goal of all those talent show things to produce that type of pop.
in contrast to super manufactured artists she writes her own stuff and seems to have a good grip over her career - which is great
and her tunes are good too.
When you think about how depressingly run of the mill it is for sex to be useed to sell female artists, she's a gift from heaven to try and side step that.
as for her christian/republican background and all that, there is nothing there really that's particularly unusual considering her background although it might seem it to us. being a christian never cost a wholesome country artist sales, it's more telling that she doesn't speak about it tbf
either way she seems pretty grounded and right on
from her wiki
Swift opposes LGBT discrimination. Following the 2008 murder of Larry King, she recorded a Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network PSA to combat hate crimes.[455] On the first anniversary of King's death, Swift told Seventeen that her parents taught her "never to judge others based on whom they love, what color their skin is, or their religion."[456] In 2011, the music video for Swift's anti-bullying song "Mean" dealt in part with homophobia in high schools; the video was later nominated for an MTV VMA social activism award.[457][458][459] The New York Times believes she is part of "a new wave of young (and mostly straight) women who are providing the soundtrack for a generation of gay fans coming to terms with their identity in a time of turbulent and confusing cultural messages."[457]

which is not incompatible with being Republican and Christian. but it is uncommon.

i hunt out christians wherever they hide...burnings too good for them!

read back this thread and you'll see that i have little idea of who taylor swift is and im trying to get an impression of her music and then of her.
1st impression is that the music + associated images are very inoffensive - theres a noticeable lack of using sex to sell in comparison to other peers with this level of success. miss caphat reaffirmed that

she came from the pop country thing and smashed that, so i was curious to know if theres a big catalogue of explicitly religious tunes or thinking behind her.
that post above (which was all a quote and had a link) came from a site that tries to work out "The religions and political views of the influentials" - not the best site in the world but at least there are footnotes/links for the assertions made.

shes the biggest selling artist of 2014 and im trying to find out who she is. from this thread i now have a good impression.
she doesnt bother me as i dont have to listen to her music, or any other christian country - but if i grew up in the heart of country radio land i think id probably be a Jugallo by now. there is a reactionary republican christianity in the US that i do have a problem with and since youve taken it there i have a problem with all reactionary rightwing aspects of religious traditions. Seems to me Taylor Swift is from that republican country tradition but re-presents some kind of highly watered down version of it

the video for shake it off seems to try and debunk female tropes of female perfection - from twerking to ballet - and shows Taylor laughing them off - i got from it that it was trying to take some of the pressure away from young girls who are fed a diet of these expectations

what criticism was that miss c?

I can't really remember but one thing is she got a lot of flak for writing songs (very publicly) about her ex boyfriends and was labeled as frigid or psycho or undateable, etc. also she gets the general criticism about not being talented (enough), switching from country to pop, etc.

i hunt out christians wherever they hide...burnings too good for them!

read back this thread and you'll see that i have little idea of who taylor swift is and im trying to get an impression of her music and then of her.
1st impression is that the music + associated images are very inoffensive - theres a noticeable lack of using sex to sell in comparison to other peers with this level of success. miss caphat reaffirmed that

she came from the pop country thing and smashed that, so i was curious to know if theres a big catalogue of explicitly religious tunes or thinking behind her.
that post above (which was all a quote and had a link) came from a site that tries to work out "The religions and political views of the influentials" - not the best site in the world but at least there are footnotes/links for the assertions made.

shes the biggest selling artist of 2014 and im trying to find out who she is. from this thread i now have a good impression.
she doesnt bother me as i dont have to listen to her music, or any other christian country - but if i grew up in the heart of country radio land i think id probably be a Jugallo by now. there is a reactionary republican christianity in the US that i do have a problem with and since youve taken it there i have a problem with all reactionary rightwing aspects of religious traditions. Seems to me Taylor Swift is from that republican country tradition but re-presents some kind of highly watered down version of it

the video for shake it off seems to try and debunk female tropes of female perfection - from twerking to ballet - and shows Taylor laughing them off - i got from it that it was trying to take some of the pressure away from young girls who are fed a diet of these expectations

what criticism was that miss c?

Fair enough. But I do think you rather jumped the gun (as you tbh admit).

The C&P you put up is just a simple, incoherent, mainly religiously prejudiced character assassination that doesn't really get home any of its points, such as they are.

But the main problem is that you tried to rush home to where you want to get to without even a cursory examination of the context and were happy to ride on the coattails of morons to do so.

My main comment is that that wouldn't really wash if one was talking about religions around which there are great sensitivities at the moment; in fact, if you read your post back in a different light, it could quite easily come across as being exceptionally prejudiced.

Fair enough. But I do think you rather jumped the gun (as you tbh admit).

The C&P you put up is just a simple, incoherent, mainly religiously prejudiced character assassination that doesn't really get home any of its points, such as they are.

But the main problem is that you tried to rush home to where you want to get to without even a cursory examination of the context and were happy to ride on the coattails of morons to do so.

My main comment is that that wouldn't really wash if one was talking about religions around which there are great sensitivities at the moment; in fact, if you read your post back in a different light, it could quite easily come across as being exceptionally prejudiced.
:D
i admit nothing

Wisely taking the Fifth...
no, i stand by everything ive said on this thread. i didnt jump the gun, had no preconceptions and there were no conclusions i wanted to rush to - and the exceptional prejudice is your problem not mine

no, i stand by everything ive said on this thread. i didnt jump the gun, had no preconceptions and there were no conclusions i wanted to rush to - and the exceptional prejudice is your problem not mine

So you stand foursquare with the article/C&P you cited earlier or are you seeking to vary your position?

The biggest selling artist of 2014 has made sure she gets paid by Apple in the the 3 month window of their free trial - and this is front page news in all papers why? The news really is fucked up :(

The biggest selling artist of 2014 has made sure she gets paid by Apple in the the 3 month window of their free trial - and this is front page news in all papers why? The news really is fucked up :(
And this is after she removed her music from spotify because she couldn't gouge her fans enough with "free" listening.

Is it gouging, not wanting to give your music away?
She wasn't giving it away. Spotify pay artists (admittedly a pittance). Plus she's worth zillions. I agree with her stance re: Apple, but she wasn't doing it to help the smaller artists, who would have been the ones that suffered a real financial loss from Apple's 3 month freebie service.

She wasn't giving it away. Spotify pay artists (admittedly a pittance). Plus she's worth zillions. I agree with her stance re: Apple, but she wasn't doing it to help the smaller artists, who would have been the ones that suffered a real financial loss from Apple's 3 month freebie service.

Did you read her open letter? It specifically states that it's the smaller artists who would suffer.

Did you read her open letter? It specifically states that it's the smaller artists who would suffer.
Yes, I did read it. I don't believe it though, it's just a way of painting her in a positive light. She (and/or her management) has form for it e.g. the Spotify removal. As the largest selling artist she has a lot of power. This is all about corporate negotiations. Any benefits to smaller artists are incidental.

the front page is that they've changed their policy as a result isn't it?

the front page is that they've changed their policy as a result isn't it?
to me this is a story for a music trade newspaper.
might be being grumpy on a monday morning but tweets + apple + multi millionaires negotiating slightly more money for themselves is not front page news. Also hearing swift describe Apple as "this historically progressive and generous company" made me convulse :D

is it gouging to want to be paid more than a pittance for your work?
No. But that is not my point.

Taylor Swift's decision to remove her music this week from Spotify is a "big fist in the air" that other prominent artists are sure to follow, says her longtime record label president. In the week she sold 1.3 million copies of her new album 1989, Swift abruptly pulled her single "Shake It Off" and all of her previously released music from the streaming service, frustrating its 40 million users. "We never wanted to embarrass a fan," says Scott Borchetta, president of Big Machine Label Group, in a radio interview with Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx, of all people. "If this fan went and purchased the record, CD, iTunes, wherever, and then their friends go, 'why did you pay for it? It's free on Spotify,' we're being completely disrespectful to that superfan."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/taylor-swift-scott-borchetta-spotify-20141108

They are so caring about her "superfans" :D

I'm obviously well behind the times wrt this. I haven't heard any of her music, that I'm aware of. I wouldn't have recognised her either, except by googling her. The fact that she has challenged, and apparently won, this fight against Apple is a plus in my view. Good for her. Yes it might be self serving, but it will also have a knock on effect to the other artists.

Regarding the smaller artists' payments and the incidental benefits they may experience, presumably the detractors on here would be more content if she did nothing?

Back
Top Bottom