Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taylor Swift mega-thread

Not so sure about the earlier stuff but Red and 1989 are both fantastic albums.

She's a shoe-in for Glastonbury, apparently. Watch the Radiohead fans squirm.

Not so sure about the earlier stuff but Red and 1989 are both fantastic albums.
MOR American bubblegum country pop mainly. Breaking into American MOR pop rock every now and again. Pretty good for what it is but not as enormous as the tunes on Red/1989 (she was only 16 or something though :D ).

eg

He said the way my blue eyes shined
Put those Georgia stars to shame that night
I said: "That's a lie."
Just a boy in a Chevy truck
That had a tendency of gettin' stuck
On backroads at night
And I was right there beside him all summer long
And then the time we woke up to find that summer gone

etc

Last edited:
has she knocked the country on the head now?

the vids posted here give the impression of very innocent pop music - almost refreshing in the lack of using sex to sell the music. im guessing lots of parents approve and buy it for their kids

Last edited:
I don't like any of her songs. I find the choruses really plodding and obvious. I'm not being a snob about her as I can really belt out "Bad Romance" or "Like A Prayer" if they come on the radio. Her music isn't shit but a bit dull.

I don't like any of her songs. I find the choruses really plodding and obvious. I'm not being a snob about her as I can really belt out "Bad Romance" or "Like A Prayer" if they come on the radio. Her music isn't shit but a bit dull.
I don't like her music either, but she's far from the usual one-dimensional, media-manipulating pop stars that usually end up in the charts. If you read her wikipedia entry she comes across as articulate, talented and something of an interesting character.

she's ace. 1989 is top pop - proper.
it's exactly the sort of stuff everyone here thinks is worthless shite
and generally is - she just does it really really well.

she used to annoy me...she seemed too perfect, too poised for her age and it annoyed me.

If I'm honest, though, she really is a better role model for young women and girls than most, and it's really admirable that she's been able to keep a good head on her shoulders all this time, and has come back from a lot of the criticism with dignity and self-reflection.
Her song writing is maturing and it's interesting to watch.

This is completely stuck in my head lately

she used to annoy me...she seemed too perfect, too poised for her age and it annoyed me.

If I'm honest, though, she really is a better role model for young women and girls than most, and it's really admirable that she's been able to keep a good head on her shoulders all this time, and has come back from a lot of the criticism with dignity and self-reflection.
Her song writing is maturing and it's interesting to watch.
is she a christian do you knowq? usually wholesome country singers are

quote....Swift doesn’t talk much about religion, and even actively avoids it. She wrote a message to fans on a forum on her website:

Just wanted to remind you guys that let’s try to avoid topics and conversations that lean towards political or religious topics. In the end, someone will inevitably get offended and this just isn’t the place for that.1

But she definitely has a Christian background. She enrolled in the Aaron Academy’s homeschooling service, which has a strong Christian ethos,2 for her final two years of high school.3 She has given $250,000 to Christian schools around the country.4 And she has recalled watching her grandmother sing at church when she was a young girl.5

Swift also stood up to her record label execs to get Christian band Need to Breathe to go on tour with her,6 and has written and performed many songs referring to God. The lyrics for her single “Our Song,” for example, contain a prayer reference:

And when I got home, before I said amen/ I asked God if He could play it again.7

Oh, and here’s a big clue. She went on a date once with hyper-Christian football player, Tim Tebow.8

It is highly speculated that Swift is Catholic, but not confirmed. Her younger brother is a student at the University of Notre Dame, a Catholic research university,9 if that’s any help. But regardless, she certainly has the approval of Christian parents around the U.S. and even high-ranking Catholic officials have sung her praises. The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Minneapolis-St. Paul wrote of her:

It is refreshing to find a popular, musical role model who is focused on friends, friendship and family values.10

Oh yes, she’s squeaky clean–so far.

The politics of Swift
Swift is a bit of a contradiction. At first she certainly seems like a Republican. She performed at the Republican National Convention in 2008,11 and she once apparently wrote on her MySpace page,

Republicans do it better.12

But then, in one interview, she conceded that she supports Obama. Referring to the 2008 election, the first one in which she was old enough to vote, she said,

I’ve never seen this country so happy about a political decision in my entire time of being alive. I’m so glad this was my first election.13
http://hollowverse.com/taylor-swift/

quote....Swift doesn’t talk much about religion, and even actively avoids it. She wrote a message to fans on a forum on her website:

Just wanted to remind you guys that let’s try to avoid topics and conversations that lean towards political or religious topics. In the end, someone will inevitably get offended and this just isn’t the place for that.1

But she definitely has a Christian background. She enrolled in the Aaron Academy’s homeschooling service, which has a strong Christian ethos,2 for her final two years of high school.3 She has given $250,000 to Christian schools around the country.4 And she has recalled watching her grandmother sing at church when she was a young girl.5

Swift also stood up to her record label execs to get Christian band Need to Breathe to go on tour with her,6 and has written and performed many songs referring to God. The lyrics for her single “Our Song,” for example, contain a prayer reference:

And when I got home, before I said amen/ I asked God if He could play it again.7

Oh, and here’s a big clue. She went on a date once with hyper-Christian football player, Tim Tebow.8

It is highly speculated that Swift is Catholic, but not confirmed. Her younger brother is a student at the University of Notre Dame, a Catholic research university,9 if that’s any help. But regardless, she certainly has the approval of Christian parents around the U.S. and even high-ranking Catholic officials have sung her praises. The Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Minneapolis-St. Paul wrote of her:

It is refreshing to find a popular, musical role model who is focused on friends, friendship and family values.10

The politics of Swift
Swift is a bit of a contradiction. At first she certainly seems like a Republican. She performed at the Republican National Convention in 2008,11 and she once apparently wrote on her MySpace page,

But then, in one interview, she conceded that she supports Obama. Referring to the 2008 election, the first one in which she was old enough to vote, she said,

I’ve never seen this country so happy about a political decision in my entire time of being alive. I’m so glad this was my first election.13
If she is religious, then she's the kind of religious I like.

She doesn't ram it down anyone's throat and is seemingly happy for it to remain something personal. Unless, again, it's all part of the perfect PR persona to bring in the most money by upsetting absolutely no one.

"Swiftmas" was all over the media when she did it, and it was clearly well documented and publicised by her media team:

But even still, spending Christmas stalking your fans and buying them personal presents and probably making it the best Christmas ever for them? Hard to criticise :)

The politics of Swift

This is a C&P, right?

It has that bullshit ring of emptiness to it which avoids constructing any kind of argument and says look at this, look over there, and then over there! Isn't it so inhumane!

So maybe she's a Christian...

Do you have a big deal with that and, if so, why?

So much pathetic insinuation that it makes you wonder... until you remember that the poster actually failed to advance a single coherent point. "Shake it off" etc...

e2a, when people start automatically using surnames as their reference points, that's a pretty good indication that they are pretentious morons.

Last edited:
Substitute Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, or Sikh, amongst others, in ska invicta's post and read it back.
i hunt out christians wherever they hide...burnings too good for them!

read back this thread and you'll see that i have little idea of who taylor swift is and im trying to get an impression of her music and then of her.
1st impression is that the music + associated images are very inoffensive - theres a noticeable lack of using sex to sell in comparison to other peers with this level of success. miss caphat reaffirmed that

she came from the pop country thing and smashed that, so i was curious to know if theres a big catalogue of explicitly religious tunes or thinking behind her.
that post above (which was all a quote and had a link) came from a site that tries to work out "The religions and political views of the influentials" - not the best site in the world but at least there are footnotes/links for the assertions made.
Do you have a big deal with that and, if so, why?
shes the biggest selling artist of 2014 and im trying to find out who she is. from this thread i now have a good impression.
she doesnt bother me as i dont have to listen to her music, or any other christian country - but if i grew up in the heart of country radio land i think id probably be a Jugallo by now. there is a reactionary republican christianity in the US that i do have a problem with and since youve taken it there i have a problem with all reactionary rightwing aspects of religious traditions. Seems to me Taylor Swift is from that republican country tradition but re-presents some kind of highly watered down version of it
She might be an accomplished singer/songwriter but her music videos could do with a bit more creativity.
the video for shake it off seems to try and debunk female tropes of female perfection - from twerking to ballet - and shows Taylor laughing them off - i got from it that it was trying to take some of the pressure away from young girls who are fed a diet of these expectations
good head on her shoulders all this time, and has come back from a lot of the criticism with dignity and self-reflection.
what criticism was that miss c?

Back
Top Bottom