Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taskmaster

Julian Clary is just glorious isn't he?
"Name something you regret"
:D:D

Was that the moment when Lucy called him a "mucky bugger" ?

Anyway - great cast this series and I'm really enjoying it. Hell, we even watch reruns.

And yes the NZ one does seem to be very flat in comparison. Greg and Alex are the ones who really make it what it is.

I forget who it was but I was listening to someone (probably on RHLSTP) talking about being on the show. They said how Alex makes you feel really safe when you're doing the tasks and it's not quite the same when he's not there. Because he's not always there for filming the tasks.

Last edited:
It's actually a case where I think the NZ TM did the task better. When they made sausages, they were given the skins and a sausage extruder. So although there were some proper horror-shows, at least everyone got to make something that was recognisably a sausage. It was more focused on the horror of Paul having to eat them, rather than the distraction of whether they'd even made a sausage in the first place. Obviously Alex disagrees with me, because it was done in NZ first and he knew the outcome of that. And since Alex is God, I should shut my damn trap! :)

Channel 4 (4OD?) has put up Taskmaster Sweden. I didn't get past about 5 minutes, and having watched scores of Drag Races in foreign languages, that's not the issue. It's more like a talk show.

Taskmaster NZ is a bit flat. There needs to be a certain combination of jigsaw pieces and it doesn't quite have it (Lego Masters NZ is great, btw, not as great as Lego Masters Australia).

Channel 4 (4OD?) has put up Taskmaster Sweden. I didn't get past about 5 minutes, and having watched scores of Drag Races in foreign languages, that's not the issue. It's more like a talk show.

Taskmaster NZ is a bit flat. There needs to be a certain combination of jigsaw pieces and it doesn't quite have it (Lego Masters NZ is great, btw, not as great as Lego Masters Australia).

I did watch Taskmaster NZ and enjoyed quite a bit of it, but, nowhere near as enjoyable for me as the UK one.

I didnt get past half an episode of the Swedish one, really odd and absolutely nothing like the UK one.
Very different format and quite, as you said, talk show in feel.

I can't quite get my head around Lucy. Like they said, is it a character or is it her, cos if it's her, like how does she actually function as a human? Off the wall.

The story that went with the prize rask off mouse poo - my mind was blown with trying to understand how her mind works.

It also suffers from a taskmaster that is both wooden and tries to be part of the gang rather than holding himself superior to them. And most of all, it massively suffers from not having Alex Horne. Alex is the force multiplier that allows the contestants to come out of themselves and entertain during the tasks. The inadequate replacement in the NZ show just stands there doing a bad Alex Horne impression but without understanding the real nature of the role.
I've just finished rewatching series 1 and 2 of NZ Taskmaster, and I think Paul actually does a good job of being a different kind of Taskmaster's Assistant. He's obviously got a lot of similarities with Alex's version but I find him funny as his own persona too.

I can't quite get my head around Lucy. Like they said, is it a character or is it her, cos if it's her, like how does she actually function as a human? Off the wall.

The story that went with the prize rask off mouse poo - my mind was blown with trying to understand how her mind works.
Despite having wondered it aloud myself, I think it's clear she couldn't possibly have the career she does if it was her real persona. Like a lot of comics, I imagine she's probably a little bit head-in-the-clouds and just dials it up to 11 for the cameras. But I do have to applaud her devotion to staying in character. Like even Greg can't believe it at times.

It definitely feels real. And if you were using the persona that consistently for that long, it'd end up being hard to break out of it.

It's very interesting because she clearly has done well in life. Though part of her persona before was being mean to her husband and saying how crap he was in a way that felt a little too pointed, which I thoroughly dislike and really hope hasn't bled into their real lives.

There was a moment I'm surprised they left in of Julian, clearly "off script", asking Alex if he was really like that or just acting.

It’s all off-script. That line seemed pretty typical to me — Julian has been needling Alex like that all series

Undoubtedly the most unhinged group they've ever had. How in christ's name did Susan out-psycho Lucy?

It definitely feels real. And if you were using the persona that consistently for that long, it'd end up being hard to break out of it.

It's very interesting because she clearly has done well in life. Though part of her persona before was being mean to her husband and saying how crap he was in a way that felt a little too pointed, which I thoroughly dislike and really hope hasn't bled into their real lives.
He talked about her a bit in his show I saw recently.
It was affectionate but they are clearly very different people. There was a whole bit about their approaches to unwrapping some tofu.

I also saw a tweet from him about her making soup accompanied by a photo of the carnage so I think it’s all real.

Undoubtedly the most unhinged group they've ever had. How in christ's name did Susan out-psycho Lucy?
I adore both of them, and Sam.

The Julian and Alex thing ended up making me feel a bit uncomfortable as I really can’t work out if they genuinely like each other or Julian is a mean cunt.

Couldn’t get all the way through the New Year one off. There’s a kid in it ffs. Kinda puts a damper on the humour/banter.

He was charming and funny, but Taskmaster is supposed to be rude and sweary.
The one offs bave been disappointing also because you don’t really get to know the contestants like in the series and they cast a wider net to pull in the casual viewers

Did they not swear so much in this one? I cannot recall.
They made Zoe Ball say something about flaps didn't they?

This info is still under NDA, so I'll spoiler it. Series 17 cast
Joanne McNally
John Robins
Nick Mohamed
Sophie Willan
Steve Pemberton
(not a legal issue - heard third hand)

Back
Top Bottom