Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tanks for the Memories

Italian tanks in Australian service, North Africa:

33bb80ee779978aac987dc80439eb192.jpg
Those kangaroo powered tanks must have looked good jumping about the battlefield.

I went to the tank museum today. It had a lot of tanks but I didn't take many photo's as there's enough generic photo's of tanks on the internet that you don't need any more from me.

But it would have been inconsiderate not to take a couple for sharing here.

The Tigers are really impressive up close. Massive bastards. I've seen Panthers and Tiger II's in the Ardennes but never seen a Tiger 1 or a Jagdtiger up close.

The Jagdtiger is basically a small house on tracks.

So yeah, tanks.....

upload_2017-10-15_0-50-52.png

upload_2017-10-15_0-50-38.png
upload_2017-10-15_0-50-19.png

1 min average here is up to 29 knots, from 23 about an hour ago. TBH, I'd have expected it to be fiercer than that.

Ah. Yes, I think we're sheltered by some hills. Milford's getting 33, with gusts over 60. Which seems a bit more like what's going on outside here, away from protective geography.

Just wondering, could the tank be rendered obsolete by the rise of a new generation of man-portable anti-tank weapons?

Hezbollah seem to have done well with this Russian job, for example: 9M133 Kornet - Wikipedia

The Kornet vs Merkava kills in 2006 caused Israel to develop the Trophy APS. Hamas shot 0 out of 15 with Kornet vs Trophy equipped Merkava in the recent nonsense. Somewhere in Islington a snow white beard grew heavy with tears.

Also, you have to be prepared to wear a lot of KIAs when employing ATGMs against MTBs. This obviously isn't a problem for Hamas/Hezbollah but not every army has an almost inexhaustible supply of disposable cannon fodder.

Just wondering, could the tank be rendered obsolete by the rise of a new generation of man-portable anti-tank weapons?

Hezbollah seem to have done well with this Russian job, for example: 9M133 Kornet - Wikipedia

I think that, much like the aircraft carrier and ballistic missile submarines, the death of the tank has been somewhat oversold.

Modern ATGW are more effective than previous types, but so are the defensive systems on a tank - the armour itself, ECM, laser detection systems, automated fire control and aiming systems slaved to the laser detection system (the tank detecting that it has a laser pointed at it, working out where the laser is coming from and automatically sending a 120mm shell back down the beam to the missile firing point).

With regards to the AT12 itself, a large slice of the success it had against both the Israelis and the Turks has been ascribed by other western Armies to bad tactics and laziness. The Israeli's developed a counter missile system and have had great success with it as well as changing - or perhaps more accurately - more widely enforcing their tank doctrine.

Also, you have to be prepared to wear a lot of KIAs when employing ATGMs against MTBs. This obviously isn't a problem for Hamas/Hezbollah but not every army has an almost inexhaustible supply of disposable cannon fodder.
i was quite impressed with the vietnamese, who - bernard fall reports in street without joy - used bazookas to cook french tank crews inside immobilised vehicles. while the missiles would not penetrate they did heat the hull.

now we are in an age of drones and driverless cars - is there a future for the crewed tank?

Somewhere in Islington a snow white beard grew heavy with tears.

Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

The Kornet vs Merkava kills in 2006 caused Israel to develop the Trophy APS. Hamas shot 0 out of 15 with Kornet vs Trophy equipped Merkava in the recent nonsense. .

I looked this up on wiki, and it looks like the response to that is to swarm the enemy with more basic ATGMs, strip off the protective stuff, and then hit the opposition tank from behind.

That might apply to people living in the hell that is Gaza, but it looks like Hezbollah recruits its cadre very selectively, and then invests heavily in their training. That's not something you throw away like a mere bagatelle, surely?

...My reading is that you now need 4 people to take out a Merkava, instead of two.

I think you need a lot more that that - I bet the casualty rates for the 'preperation' firing points are pretty eye-watering. While this network of 'lesser' ATGW is brassing up the oncoming Israelis, what do people think the Israelis are doing?

We practice this stuff - dismounts and light mobile ATGW teams against Armour/Mechanised enemy - we get a couple of hits and the End of the Tank looks like it's arrived, and then the tanks get bored of being shot at, and suddenly the End of the Tank looks a lot further off, and the End of Infantry looks like it's arrived.

It's something that works for a very short period of time in specific conditions, and then it stops working and gets very expensive in the loss of both expensively trained people and expensively bought hardware.

Back
Top Bottom