Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tamsin bloody Omond

So, if I put myself out there to meet people actively, I'd be moving in such circles? You seriously believe it's merely a case of going out and meeting people?

Yeah, the rich, connected and powerful in business and politics. With titles.

So, if I put myself out there to meet people actively, I'd be moving in such circles? You seriously believe it's merely a case of going out and meeting people?

I think Sue, if you got into networking positively you might be very surprised with what is possible.

On the contrary of course if you think you can't then you would also be right! :)

Also, people want to meet movers and shakers, if you become such a person, people will actually want to meet you!

I think Sue, if you got into networking positively you might be very surprised with what is possible.

On the contrary of course if you think you can't then you would also be right! :)

Also, people want to meet movers and shakers, if you become such a person, people will actually want to meet you!

Oh dear.

Surely a wind-up.

Although there might be some truth in the statement that lots of people do want to meet 'movers and shakers.' This, however, is part of what's wrong with the world.

Although there might be truth when you say that lots of people do want to meet 'movers and shakers.' This, however, is part of what's wrong with the world.

Some people are "people people" and find it easy to move in various social circles, I am not one of them sadly, but I know a few who are like that. They know a lot of people, they arguably have a "social network" and it can sometimes (often even) help them in their lives.

But there are some that think this is some kind of preserve of the middle or upper classes. I don't believe that to be true. I believe it is more the preserve of the "social person".

Some people are "people people" and find it easy to move in various social circles, I am not one of them sadly, but I know a few who are like that. They know a lot of people, they arguably have a "social network" and it can sometimes (often even) help them in their lives.

But there are some that think this is some kind of preserve of the middle or upper classes. I don't believe that to be true. I believe it is more the preserve of the "social person".

There are social circles and social circles though.

Didn't networking used to be called social climbing? Or was it brown-nosing?

There are social circles and social circles though.

Possibly. But people who already think "this is not for me" or perhaps "they are not for me" are at least a bit doomed to fail! I just don't think networking is the preserve of the upper classes.

Facebook, Linkedin etc are social networking platforms.. quite popular these days.

There may be something in it :)

Didn't networking used to be called social climbing? Or was it brown-nosing?

Dunno, perhaps.

For the benefit of the killer, here's a quote then:

Secretary of the Tamsin Omond and Laurie Penny Fan Club said:
The power of the mass media doesn't matter because A.N. Academic said in 1973 that piece of socio-political jargon, piece of socio-political jargon. This is the final word on the subject because an academic said it. And he writes books.

You need to read some Bordieu to address this. While there are 'social persons' who can mix in any company, the cultural gap between the middle and upper class is smaller than that of the working class and m/c & u/c. Even something as simple as shopping for clothes can be socially intimidating for people from even affluent w/c backgrounds, because the attitude shown by the assistants, the unspoken social rules. Same goes for things like dining, eating out etc etc. Similarly it applies to networking - social confidence comes from a sense of privilege in some sense or other, or a real sense of bloody-minded determination to succeed (Katie Price taking up polo, and being accepted into at least some parts of that social

You say you're not a social person, then you're aware of the feeling that people are staring and judging you when you go out? That's what it can feel like being w/c and in a social 'function'. How you react to that is another matter, but for some - possily many - there's a feeling of being adrift in a sea in which you have no idea what the currents or winds are.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

You need to read some Bordieu to address this. While there are 'social persons' who can mix in any company, the cultural gap between the middle and upper class is smaller than that of the working class and m/c & u/c.

I can believe that.

Even something as simple as shopping for clothes can be socially intimidating for people from even affluent w/c backgrounds, because the attitude shown by the assistants, the unspoken social rules.

Oh, interesting. I had not realised shopping could be a problem.

Same goes for things like dining, eating out etc etc. Similarly it applies to networking - social confidence comes from a sense of privilege in some sense or other, or a real sense of bloody-minded determination to succeed (Katie Price taking up polo, and being accepted into at least some parts of that social

Well there is an accepted MC way of using cutlery which is a dead giveaway if you don't know it. I recently someone who sees himself as above people (very unpleasant) but did not know how MC people hold a knife and a fork. I found myself sniggering inwardly thinking .. he thinks he knows it all (he was a know-it-all) but he does not!

I would argue that school should equip pupils with the ammunition to converse with anyone and the confidence and ettiquette to eat with anyone. There was an interesting quote by a posh bloke on TV who said good manners is making sure no one is embarrased. I like that, I try to ensure no one is embarrassed for any reason.

I think social situations require a confidence in your own knowledge and the conversation skills to be able to hold your own in conversation. But I think such skills can be learnt.

You say you're not a social person, then you're aware of the feeling that people are staring and judging you when you go out?

Well I say I am not social, these things are on a sliding scale, I work with people day in day out so I am used to dealing with people, but I am not as social as some that I know and consequently have fewer people in my social circle.

That's what it can feel like being w/c and in a social 'function'. How you react to that is another matter, but for some - possily many - there's a feeling of being adrift in a sea in which you have no idea what the currents or winds are.

I understand that. I think people should be prepared for it, I think social skills - at least the basics - can be learnt. If our upbringing does not teach us then I do think school should.

Well there is an accepted MC way of using cutlery which is a dead giveaway if you don't know it. I recently someone who sees himself as above people (very unpleasant) but did not know how MC people hold a knife and a fork. I found myself sniggering inwardly thinking .. he thinks he knows it all (he was a know-it-all) but he does not!

Weltweit, re-read your quote above. Can you see why this might make people think you are a complete tosser?

Back
Top Bottom