Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

sunbound unsound beach party

Yep, week one. I'll probably be taking 2 sets of gear anyway (going to teach the better half as well). Will probably go on a recce on the first day to find a suitable shore with interesting beasties in it! :D

PieEye said:
I'd like to snorkel - not that I really know what I'm doing but I like to look at stuff in the sea. :) :)
You'll be needing these....

speedoarmbands.jpg

:p

Rozi said:
been snorkelling since I was knee-high to a jellyfish and got my PADI open water last summer. Probably in more for the snorkelling TBH, diving gear is a heavy thing to lug down to Italy!

I did the BSAC Sub Aqua course a few years ago, but couldn't finish it because the water was too cold and I couldn't breath properly! :(

I think if I tried again I'd probably connect everything the wrong way! :oops:

PADI is better IME, more emphasis on the diving than classroom theory. Need to do some UK diving, but I'm too poor :(

Rozi said:
PADI is better IME, more emphasis on the diving than classroom theory. Need to do some UK diving, but I'm too poor :(

Well, the instructor kept having a dig at PADI, there seemed to be a lot of competition between the two. We did have to do a theory test though and be well versed on the theory of it all. Fat lot of good it did me when it came to diving into a lake and the water was 8 degrees... :(

I was good at diving in the swimming pool though :D

Yeah, BSAC and PADI have never seen eye-to-eye. BSAC think PADI are a bunch of joyriding yahoos who only cater to the holiday market and not to the serious diver, PADI think BSAC are a bunch of stuffy killjoys who are more obsessed with tables and lectures than enjoying the ocean and doing fun stuff. Guess which side of the fence I fall down on :rolleyes: :D

So, BSAC are the geeks of the diving world! :D

Although I did my course with BSAC not through choice, but because they run a cheap course in my university, I probably did with the right people! ;)

Will anyone have spare tent space... I'm needing a holiday (without gsv cos he's spending his holiday money buggering off to a family wedding) so I'd consider coming out for a week (I could do either) if one of you nice people has the space. :)

[pirate] yarrr, this be no desert island!! And that be no x marking the spot either! Back to the ship, lads, this be ChrisFilter's bum![/pirate]

Rozi said:
Yeah, BSAC and PADI have never seen eye-to-eye. BSAC think PADI are a bunch of joyriding yahoos who only cater to the holiday market and not to the serious diver, PADI think BSAC are a bunch of stuffy killjoys who are more obsessed with tables and lectures than enjoying the ocean and doing fun stuff. Guess which side of the fence I fall down on :rolleyes: :D
I'm doing my BSAC Ocean Diver & Sports Diver now - which is why I have missed the last few Offlines & Book Clubs (the local scuba club is every Thursday). It is taking far longer than a PADI would but they are *very* safety conscious. BSAC is usually done by joining a local club rather than through a commercial operator - there is a good social side to it at my club and the diving is very cheap. I have also been able to get a load of cheap kit etc. The other difference is that many people do PADI on holiday (where it is warm & clear) whereas BSAC is mainly UK based where the diving can be more dangerous (cold/low visibility/worse weather/more difficult conditions etc). I can't really pass judgement as I am still in training - I hope to do a load of diving this summer once I have finished the courses/training dives.

I did a beginners dive in Dahab in Eygpt acouple years ago.. good fun.. but all the divers looked far too 'cool' for my liking.

anybody know if there's good snorkelling round those parts?

hopefully wolfie and i will have finished PROD IN A Box - a small PC/slide projector-based PROD - that we can get sus to stick through the system at some point.

Back
Top Bottom