Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strawberry Fair, Cambridge (June 7th)

Yeah, but making a weekend of it, camping and enjoying the partying the night before and sunday, was part of the fun. It's simply not a big enough draw for me to trek up and down on the day, IYSWIM.

I can appreciate that. I'm just pissy because I found out last night how much of a mission it is to get to from here. We might possibly go via London (although the missus is short on cash & unlikely to be up for that) but to get back from there involves waiting for a 4:30am coach.... although it just occurred to me, will any urban people be around to keep us busy till 4:30am? If so the coach journey isn't too bad...

(I fucking hate how impossible it is to get back from ANWHERE other than london to coventry late at night and I'm in for another 3 1/2 years of this shit :( )

The thing is, that the Fair has been able to survive, when many others across the country have not, because of the support of the City Council, who have been persuaded that it is largely an event for locals, and also persuaded that the damage to the common will be minimised and controlled.

Clearly, locals don't need camping (although a few of us were always given permission to camp, in order to keep a watch on the beer tent and other valuables on site from the night before).

after a hot and sunny day yesterday, it's overcast and chilly today. with one week to go, we'd better start the sun dances. :cool:

if it's raining, i ain't even going down there.

bloody hell, you and those chat lines shells!! :eek: :D :hmm:

you won't need much dosh anyway, honest. :) xx

ah fuck there's not actually a 4am coach on sunday morning....

man i hate living in coventry. it's impossible to get anywhere on public transport.

Does anyone know if any bus companies apart from National Express go back to London from Cambridge on Saturday night?National Express leave Cambridge at 9pm and take three hours with a long wait at Stanstead. Have to be a Stokefest the next day, and don't fancy bouncing back off Oxford to do it, but it may well be the cheapest way. Can't afford the train and something tells me there will be inspectors checking for people bunking this one.

Does anyone know if any bus companies apart from National Express go back to London from Cambridge on Saturday night?National Express leave Cambridge at 9pm and take three hours with a long wait at Stanstead. Have to be a Stokefest the next day, and don't fancy bouncing back off Oxford to do it, but it may well be the cheapest way. Can't afford the train and something tells me there will be inspectors checking for people bunking this one.

There used to be another company who ran coaches, and cheaper than National Express. But I have just googled, and can't find it, so I am wondering if it went out of business! :eek:

I can't remember what it was called, which isn't helping....

When are you going back?

There seems to be a coach at 6am. Is there anything to do in Cambridge between 11pm and 6am on a Saturday night that isn't some shit club?

When are you going back?

There seems to be a coach at 6am. Is there anything to do in Cambridge between 11pm and 6am on a Saturday night that isn't some shit club?

If you look like a Cambridge undergraduate, there are lots of cheap bars, some of which (used to) have good music on in the early hours.

Hmm can't get a coach back after 6pm now back to Oxford so thats no use. Would be good to get back to London by early hours at least with Stokefest being the next day and everything. Looks like National Express might be the only option and there's not many of them going.

Really? The last coach back to Oxford from Cambridge is 6 pm?? :confused:

That'll screw my Oxford mate's chances of coming ... :( :hmm:

Will look into weather later. Prospects in the Sunday papers for the week didn't look too bad at all.

ETA : Actually that Netweather link for Cambridge that Onket posted looks excellent at this stage :)

those weather thingies are annoying though - i remember a few years back, when they forcast constant downpours, so quite a few people changed their minds about coming........

and it was blazing hot all day long! :rolleyes: :cool: :mad: :D

People requested NOT TO CAMP outside campsites
www.strawberry-fair.org.uk/camping.php said:
Strawberry Fair has never allowed camping on its site, but that hasn’t deterred people setting up camp on the land adjacent to Midsummer Common, near Elizabeth Way Bridge, and organisers say the future of the fair could be jeopardised if people continue to do so.

As a result, this year will see the launch of a new campaign “It’s your Fair: Play fair” to improve the way that attendees interact with the event. Key to the committee’s plan is to ensure that there are no campers and they have asked for permission from the Council to manage the area by the bridge, making it impossible to camp.

The campaign also includes a "leave no trace" policy, which they hope will deal with some of the litter issues that blight all large scale public gatherings. Martin, the Chair of the Fair, explained: "Most people who attend our event have a brilliant time and respect the beautiful surroundings, however a minority don’t seem to care so much and this campaign should bring home the message that anti-social behaviour is as unwelcome at the fair as it is anywhere else".

Take a look at the site below for a local campsite (120 spaces):
http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=6060

bloody hell, you and those chat lines shells!! :eek: :D :hmm:

you won't need much dosh anyway, honest. :) xx

er, its calling from Mexico to home that sort of caused the issue, but regardless i am now officially on me uppers as it were. So there will be no Shelley presence at Strawberry fair this year:(

stat said:
FOR PEOPLE IN COVENTRY/ NOT IN LONDON.
Have nowhere to stay on Saturday night unfortunately.. fuck it I'll book us tickets tonight probably and just assume we'll work something out.

probably will work out ok.

btw, www.transportdirect.info say that there's a NE bus to Luton airport at 21.10, and another NE bus from Luton to Birmingham, arriving at Coventry at 00:35.
Ooooh I'll probably talk to the missus - that sounds the best bet if we want to leave at that point. Otherwise we're probably on for waiting until 6am for it.

Back
Top Bottom