Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stolen Bicycle Now Found

Shall we all just take a step back here for a moment?

My bike was stolen.

I was deprived of it for over 3 months.

In that time I had to negotiate with my insurers to get a new bike, substantially inferior.

That arrived months after the original theft.

I now have the original bike back.

I have also offered (although this offer has long since expired and I am at a loss to understand why I advanced it in the first place given the attitude of most on this thread) to sell it for the gain of the server fund.

And all of this, all of the above, renders me a person who should be the object of relentless abuse and opprobrium.

Have a look at yourselves.

My bike was stolen.

In that time I had to negotiate with my insurers to get a new bike, substantially inferior.

I have also offered (although this offer has long since expired and I am at a loss to understand why I advanced it in the first place given the attitude of most on this thread) to sell it for the gain of the server fund.

And all of this, all of the above, renders me a person who should be the object of relentless abuse and opprobrium.

none of us believe you when you claim that your insurance policy allows you to keep recovered goods without notifying your insurers.

No meltdown - just a slow day at work and a lot of plonkers looking to plunge their points crudely home.

I honestly offered to help this place out earlier and the response was less than receptive...

Bit of an odd one to be frank...

Speaking as an actual insurer who deals with actual real life insurance contracts, there is no doubt that the bike now belongs to the insurer. It's a simple matter of subrogation. It will definitely be in the insurance policy, whatever mr big-pants-on-fire says about it. It's absolutely standard. But even if it isn't, it doesn't need to be, actually, because the subrogated rights still apply; such is the whole basis of insurance and the laws that govern it.

Tell you what though, diamond -- if you say it isn't in your contract please let me know which insurer you have used because I'm sure their legal department would love to know about their oversight and I'll go and have a word with them.

Here you go, Diamond, read all about it:

Subrogation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My bike was stolen.

I'm not offering abuse or opprobrium because of any of the above. I'm offering it because - and I have to stress that this is the third time I've explained this part to you- you're talking about selling a bike which, so far as the police and your insurers are concerned, is stolen. You haven't notified either to say that it has been recovered, and presumably wouldn't be telling any prospective buyer about the background. In the case of the police, knowing where is was recovered might actually be useful in tracking down who took it in teh first place - bikes have a tendency to go walkies and it is often the same people doing the taking.

It's the slightly skewed moral compass I'm drawing into question. As if the fact that the money would be for the server fund negates all the above. It's also a bit odd that you will sell the nice bike rather than the one you bought with the insurance money.

Speaking as an actual insurer who deals with actual real life insurance contracts, there is no doubt that the bike now belongs to the insurer. It's a simple matter of subrogation. It will definitely be in the insurance policy, whatever mr big-pants-on-fire says about it. It's absolutely standard. But even if it isn't, it doesn't need to be, actually, because the subrogated rights still apply; such is the whole basis of insurance and the laws that govern it.

Tell you what though, diamond -- if you say it isn't in your contract please let me know which insurer you have used because I'm sure their legal department would love to know about their oversight and I'll go and have a word with them.

Wait a second...

Is that a veiled, passive-aggressive threat?

Wait a second...

Is that a veiled, passive-aggressive threat?
No, it's a a direct threat against the incompetent contract drafting department of whatever insurance company has managed to write a home insurance contract without including the first principles of insurance law. I'll go and get someone fired for it.

So go on then, who has written your policy?

Or maybe you're just once again mixing up reality and your imagination?

If this is how you lot would treat a friend in the same situation, I would not want to be any friend of yours.

*throws up hands and walks away*

If this is how you lot would treat a friend in the same situation, I would not want to be any friend of yours.

*throws up hands and walks away*

I'd tell a friend if he was risking a good career over a couple of hundred quid that it wasn't worth it and it was a crime. If he got all huffy, self righteous and defensive the way you are getting I'd also tell him he was being a prick and to take a good look at himself for his own benefit. It's what good friends actually do.

In fairness, it's very difficult to take this much shit on your own.

I'm switching sides.

Diamond , back to back, Geezer! ;)
ok Spymaster would you maybe, if it's not too much bother, take a little time out, to consider the ethics and possible consequencies of not informing your insurer about a returned bycycle. I have tried to raise the matter with your esteemed colleague, but you know....., anyway, I'll leave it with you.

Back
Top Bottom