Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stolen Bicycle Now Found

What did the note say?

Basically - this is my bike, it's been stolen, I don't want to get the police involved properly and the extra lock that I have used is mine so give me a ring on my number (detailed) and we can sort it out.

On that basis, the other person released their lock without contacting me - pretty nice result all round...

Basically - this is my bike, it's been stolen, I don't want to get the police involved properly and the extra lock that I have used is mine so give me a ring on my number (detailed) and we can sort it out.

On that basis, the other person released their lock without contacting me - pretty nice result all round...

Based on that I'd say it was odds on he nicked it, but fair play for him to just release it like that.

You didn't answer the question about the insurance, Diamond, even though Pickers tagged you and asked.

Fuck the insurance guys.

Except, of course, that if the insurance paid out on the stolen bike, it's now technically theirs.

I just did a bit of research (ie, I googled). Seems that the general policy is yes - if you claim, and the item is recovered, it's the insurance company's, but in practice they usually say "keep it" when you contact them to offer it back to them. I imagine it's not worth their bother trying to sell it on.

But I suspect this is one of those twisty little situations where, if you don't offer it back to them and that fact subsequently emerges, they might be quite sniffy about it - and defrauding an insurer is one of those things that can have quite a profound effect on your premiums later.

Since Diamond is in one of those jobs where the appearance at least of probity is a very important thing (not to mention the fact that his recovery of the bike is now a matter of public record), in his shoes I'd be falling over myself to put the insurance company in the picture, all the while keeping my fingers firmly crossed that they'd just say "keep it".

Except, of course, that if the insurance paid out on the stolen bike, it's now technically theirs.

I just did a bit of research (ie, I googled). Seems that the general policy is yes - if you claim, and the item is recovered, it's the insurance company's, but in practice they usually say "keep it" when you contact them to offer it back to them. I imagine it's not worth their bother trying to sell it on.

But I suspect this is one of those twisty little situations where, if you don't offer it back to them and that fact subsequently emerges, they might be quite sniffy about it - and defrauding an insurer is one of those things that can have quite a profound effect on your premiums later.

Since Diamond is in one of those jobs where the appearance at least of probity is a very important thing (not to mention the fact that his recovery of the bike is now a matter of public record), in his shoes I'd be falling over myself to put the insurance company in the picture, all the while keeping my fingers firmly crossed that they'd just say "keep it".

Really?

I'm not sure how I might be at fault here...

My bike, which I had had for over 5 years and which I had just spent the best part of 300 quid upgrading for a charity ride, was nicked a few months ago. I claimed on my home insurance policy because I was pretty miffed and got a replacement which is nowhere near as nice.

Then I find my old bike locked up close to where it was nicked and manage to get it back.

What is the problem with that?

Really?

Has anyone said that you are at fault? Or even implied it? No, they haven't: you're manufacturing a reaction to something that hasn't happened.

My bike, which I had had for over 5 years and which I had just spent the best part of 300 quid upgrading for a charity ride, was nicked a few months ago. I claimed on my home insurance policy because I was pretty miffed and got a replacement which is nowhere near as nice.

Then I find my old bike locked up close to where it was nicked and manage to get it back.

The problem with that - as if I need to explain this to a lawyer - is that you will almost certainly have signed something when you completed your claim that said that, in the event of the item being recovered, it was now the property of the insurance company.

Perhaps it didn't, and perhaps you checked all that, in which case Urban's caution and helpful advice will be moot. But if you don't know that's the case, there is a good chance that you are at least technically in breach of your agreement with your insurance company. And you, as a lawyer, don't need me to point out that a technical breach is still a breach, and the sort of thing one generally tries to avoid.

You know, you do come across as one of the least lawyerly people I have ever encountered amongst people in that profession! The sort of (social) conversations I'm used to having with lawyers usually have them jocularly pointing out how vague and broad brush my pretensions to nit-picking attention to detail are, not the other way around.

Really?

Sorry you had your bike nicked but in that case I'd offer the insurance company your new naff bike. Even less likely they'd want to resell that because it'll have dropped in value a lot.

Sorry you had your bike nicked but in that case I'd offer the insurance company your new naff bike. Even less likely they'd want to resell that because it'll have dropped in value a lot.
Ah, that's quite neat. Even if it's highly unlikely that they're going to want either of them back :)

Has anyone said that you are at fault? Or even implied it? No, they haven't: you're manufacturing a reaction to something that hasn't happened.

The problem with that - as if I need to explain this to a lawyer - is that you will almost certainly have signed something when you completed your claim that said that, in the event of the item being recovered, it was now the property of the insurance company.

Perhaps it didn't, and perhaps you checked all that, in which case Urban's caution and helpful advice will be moot. But if you don't know that's the case, there is a good chance that you are at least technically in breach of your agreement with your insurance company. And you, as a lawyer, don't need me to point out that a technical breach is still a breach, and the sort of thing one generally tries to avoid.

You know, you do come across as one of the least lawyerly people I have ever encountered amongst people in that profession! The sort of (social) conversations I'm used to having with lawyers usually have them jocularly pointing out how vague and broad brush my pretensions to nit-picking attention to detail are, not the other way around.

Do you check your T's and C's in minute detail every time that you sign or make a claim on your insurance contract?

If so, you must be an exceptionally dull person.

That's a common condition with many insurance policies that cover theft.

Fair enough - I couldn't really give a toss to be honest as I don't see where the loss/damage is and therefore there is no obvious reason to take existentialist's Martinet-type attitude (aside from trying to score a few pathetically cheap points on a bulletin board of course...)

Do you check your T's and C's in minute detail every time that you sign or make a claim on your insurance contract?

If so, you must be an exceptionally dull person.
Funny, isn't it, how the moment anyone starts to even look as if they're challenging you (although why you're jumping to that conclusion I don't really know, because I've bent over backwards not to give that impression, knowing how touchy you are about it), you resort to insults.

No, I don't check my Ts and Cs in minute detail. But if I am signing something - a legal document - that may be important, then yes, I do check to see what I am signing. Perhaps that's because I have spent a small but sufficient time around lawyer type people to realise that it's a good idea to know what you're agreeing to.

Perhaps that makes me boring.

But I think I'd rather someone like you thought I was boring than that my insurance company, or the police, suddenly began to find me interesting.

Funny, isn't it, how the moment anyone starts to even look as if they're challenging you (although why you're jumping to that conclusion I don't really know, because I've bent over backwards not to give that impression, knowing how touchy you are about it), you resort to insults.

No, I don't check my Ts and Cs in minute detail. But if I am signing something - a legal document - that may be important, then yes, I do check to see what I am signing. Perhaps that's because I have spent a small but sufficient time around lawyer type people to realise that it's a good idea to know what you're agreeing to.

Perhaps that makes me boring.

But I think I'd rather someone like you thought I was boring than that my insurance company, or the police, suddenly began to find me interesting.

Do you realise how pretentious you come across?

Back
Top Bottom