Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stolen Bicycle Now Found

... I don't see where the loss/damage is ....
Eh? :hmm:

Surely you understand that you've been paid out for a loss that is now recovered.

If a crime reference number was issued for the initial theft, which presumably would have been required by the insurance company, you should inform the insurance company and the police that you've got your shit back.

Chances are the insurance company won't want it back, but you should tell them.

Why wouldn't you?

Surely you understand that you've been paid out for a loss that is now recovered.

If a crime reference number was issued for the initial theft, which presumably would have been required by the insurance company, you should inform the insurance company and the police that you've got your shit back.

Why wouldn't you?

Not really - where is the loss to a third party?

Added to which, I've been without a bike now for over three months, which is a loss, and when I've recovered it (which I perhaps did not mention), it was missing a saddle and seatpost.

The insurance company made it as difficult as possible for me to get a replacement bike - for the one that was stolen and that I had recently spend hundreds of pounds on upgrading - I don't see any practical reason for getting them involved now whatsoever, nor do I see any moral reason and if I am in breach of my contract with them, my view is fuck them.

Even if the substantive risk is high the enforcement/procedural risk is close to non-existent so why make trouble for both them and for me?

Not really - where is the loss to a third party?

Added to which, I've been without a bike now for over three months, which is a loss, and when I've recovered it (which I perhaps did not mention), it was missing a saddle and seatpost.

The insurance company made it as difficult as possible for me to get a replacement bike - for the one that was stolen and that I had recently spend hundreds of pounds on upgrading - I don't see any practical reason for getting them involved now whatsoever, nor do I see any moral reason and if I am in breach of my contract with them, my view is fuck them.

Even if the substantive risk is high the enforcement/procedural risk is close to non-existent so why make trouble for both them and for me?
Are you sure you're a lawyer?

- where is the loss to a third party?
Why do you keep mentioning this as if it was important?

The reason to tell the insurance company is simply that it's the correct thing to do, and as a lawyer, donning belt and braces in a situation like this, is sensible.

It would take about 10 minutes, so why not?

You seem unreasonably averse to doing what is correct and easy. Are you sure all this actually happened? :hmm:

he is a lawyer :cool:
<lawyer>Er, he claims to be a lawyer. We haven't actually seen any evidence to support the claim.</lawyer>

By way of comparison, here is a response from a non-lawyer. Smoking a joint.

20150316_215408_ededbfg_sm.jpg

You chaps believe what you want to believe but I've got my bike back that I slogged through over a hundred miles of the Fred Whitton before it was stolen and quite frankly that's worth a lot more than your spiteful opinions...

You chaps believe what you want to believe but I've got my bike back that I slogged through over a hundred miles of the Fred Whitton before it was stolen and quite frankly that's worth a lot more than your spiteful opinions...
Excellent. I am genuinely pleased for you.

Posting threads on here is clearly very validating for you, in enabling you to feel superior to more and more people, and I am happy and proud to be part of that process.

And good luck with your other police matter.

I don't know enough of the detail of the OP's situation to comment specifically, but, generally speaking, if I found myself in a situation where stolen goods were recovered after I'd received a payout from my insurer, my concern would be whether the insurance contract had created a legal duty to disclose that fact, such that a failure to do so might amount to an offence under s.3 Fraud Act 2006 (depending on Ghosh dishonesty).

I think you're more comeback king Peter Mandelson than Margaret Thatcher, the original dead sheep savagee, you know... ;)

I think Healey said that of Howe well before he turned on his mistress.

And the point isn't so much that Diamond should be careful in his dealings with his insurers, it's that he should be careful when recounting these anecdotes on a board full of people who are horrendously spiteful towards him because he is a young professional and proud of his job, after he has already given away quite a lot of information about who he is and where he works.

Last edited:

Why wouldn't you?
Funny thing is if the plod ever check the serial number on the bike now it will be recorded as stolen, if Diamond gave them that evidence when he reported the crime, so he's now riding round raising money for charridy on a stolen bike. You'd think a legal bod would understand teh dangers of a fraud charge and his professional status:D.

I knew a copper who purchased an Ipad on tick a few years ago. He purchased it for his Mrs for a criggy gift. After about 6 months he noticed that the direct debit wasn't going out of his account so he bragged to a few of his workmates about it. He wasn't a well liked member of the team as he was a bit of a self obsessed braggart and he'd dobbed a colleague in for something once. 6 months later he got a letter saying that his credit was paid up and they offered him an extended warranty or some sort of upgrade. He went into work and showed the letter off bragging about it and a few days later he got called in to speak to the gaffer. He was given the opportunity to resign there and then or they were going to pursuit Honesty and Integrity charges against him.

I always thought Law and Order types played it straight down the line :hmm: as a good example to society like :D

Back
Top Bottom