Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC2 10pm from 16th March

The repetition is a deliberate rhetorical technique though. It exists to create an actual physical manifestation of the frustration that the speaker feels from the topic he is talking about. It pulls the audience through the door of comfortable observation and into the pit of excrutiation that the orator is talking about.

Yes, it doesn't necessarily make you laugh. But Stewart Lee moved on years ago from that kind of humour. That's why I agree and continue to agree that he's very uncommercial. Frankly, to appreciate what he is doing, you have to analyse the purpose of it and very few people expect or want to do that -- especially for comedy, of all things. If you don't like it, I don't blame you.

For me, though, he does something that nobody else does. He brings the skill of the expert speechwriter or novelist or pamphleteer to comedy. He's unique and I love him. I could watch him all day. I'm not saying that he makes me LOLZ. But it's still comedy; the blackest, most ironic of comedy. And it uplifts me to hear it. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But don't watch it and then tell those of us that like it that we shouldn't like it because, frankly, you're wrong.

well argued:cool:

I'd still rather watch my mum and dad 69 but good debating indeed

It doesn't surprise me that you like Lee and his overbearing smugness.
Charming. Nice one there, taking it from a discussion about Lee's comedy to a personal attack. I'm sure you feel a lot better now.

I don't think it needs to be laugh out loud lolz comedy. There is plenty of comedy shows I have watched that have interested me, and amused me without me chortling my face off.

I like his delivery actually, I like it in a kind of surreally way and it definitely works with his topics alot of the time, like dodgepot said, it definitely worked with the woolies/zavvi/mfi thing.

I think it's just a weird thing to have on the telly tbh, I mean, I'm glad because I'd never seen his standup before but it just doesn't work with these little bitesize half an hours, especially with the inclusion of the sketch shows.

So that's why I am enjoying the series, but not loving it.

There.

I'd still rather watch my mum and dad 69 but good debating indeed

Do you have a DVD of that cause what with Deep Space Nine on Virgin coming to an end and Stewart Lee being shit I've got nothing to watch next Monday night?

last night was shit hot, and the sketches were by far the best ones so yet - I especially liked the actor Kevin Eldon smashing up a brand new bathroom (that's where the budget went I guess) - a couple of them felt quite jaaam in fact . . .

I think it's just a weird thing to have on the telly tbh, I mean, I'm glad because I'd never seen his standup before but it just doesn't work with these little bitesize half an hours, especially with the inclusion of the sketch shows.

It *is* a weird thing to have on the telly. I had my doubts that it would work when it was announced and it's clear that in many ways it hasn't worked -- many people simply haven't got it and the sketches that were obviously intended as a sop to those who wouldn't get it have just spoiled the flow of the monologue.

There is still a lot of it that is pure genius though.

Just responding to your jibe about being narrow-minded, dear boy.
That wasn't a random attack, that was a specific response to you saying "call me old-fashioned, but something with 'comedy' in the title should produce a laugh or two". Well, by saying that you are by definition being narrow in your expectation for comedy.

It *is* a weird thing to have on the telly. I had my doubts that it would work when it was announced and it's clear that in many ways it hasn't worked -- many people simply haven't got it and the sketches that were obviously intended as a sop to those who wouldn't get it have just spoiled the flow of the monologue.

There is still a lot of it that is pure genius though.

Do you not think that implying that people who don't like it 'haven't got it' is a bit offensive? I've kind of refrained from implying that you have to be the same kind of smug as Mr Lee to enjoy it but your post kind of makes that point pretty well itself.

It's an irritating rhetorical device, though, isn't it?

Telling people they 'don't get it' when it's perfectly possible to fully understand Stewart Lee but simply not like him.

Fans of The Wire tend to do the same thing.

ETA: posted at the same time as maomao

No, it's a simple tautology. Saying that you don't like it is functionally equivalent to saying that you don't get it, since if you did get it then you would like it.

There are two assumptions you are making:

1) That "understanding it" is the same thing as "getting it". It's not. "Getting it" means that it resonates with you, which means that it would, by definition, amuse you; and
2) That "not getting it" implies something negative about you. It doesn't. It just means that you don't share that type of humour.

Saying that you don't like it is functionally equivalent to saying that you don't get it, since if you did get it then you would like it.

no, it's not.

you can "get" what weird al yankovic is doing, but find it utterly shit and unfunny.

The repetition is a deliberate rhetorical technique though. It exists to create an actual physical manifestation of the frustration that the speaker feels from the topic he is talking about. It pulls the audience through the door of comfortable observation and into the pit of excrutiation that the orator is talking about.

It's funny the first time, it's pretty funny the 2nd time. But when it's a rhetorical device used OVER and OVER again.....

Yes, it doesn't necessarily make you laugh. But Stewart Lee moved on years ago from that kind of humour. That's why I agree and continue to agree that he's very uncommercial. Frankly, to appreciate what he is doing, you have to analyse the purpose of it and very few people expect or want to do that -- especially for comedy, of all things. If you don't like it, I don't blame you.

For me, though, he does something that nobody else does. He brings the skill of the expert speechwriter or novelist or pamphleteer to comedy.

If he's such a bloody expert why is he using the same sodding trick over and over again.

He's unique and I love him. I could watch him all day. I'm not saying that he makes me LOLZ. But it's still comedy; the blackest, most ironic of comedy. And it uplifts me to hear it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Hey it's not that I don't like. I watched the first one three on iplayer, I fucking adored it, it's just seeing the same tired routine done week in week out, it begins to grate.

^^^ which comes back to the fact that his natural home is a one hour live set, rather than a series of nerfed TV shows. I don't disagree with that. He's a lot better live than in this show. It doesn't change the fact, however, that each show taken individually shows him to be an extremely talented comedy writer and performer.

2) That "not getting it" implies something negative about you. It doesn't. It just means that you don't share that type of humour.

That's a pretty hypocritical point you're trying to make there.

You've certainly been sneering at people who don't "get it" so far.

But then cultural snobs are known for their backsliding spinelessness.

No, it's a simple tautology. Saying that you don't like it is functionally equivalent to saying that you don't get it, since if you did get it then you would like it.

1) That "understanding it" is the same thing as "getting it". It's not. "Getting it" means that it resonates with you, which means that it would, by definition, amuse you; and

That's just utter bullshit and makes you sound like a right smug cunt.

I have not been sneering at people who don't "get it". In fact, I've gone out of my way over and over again to say over and over again that if you don't like it, it's fair enough. I expect most people to not like it. It's niche comedy. I'm certainly not the one casting negative judgements on those who don't like it -- particularly if they simply shrug and go and watch something else instead.

Love it or hate it, at least Stewart Lee's show isn't the same old shit in the same old format.

It's different. It demands your full attention. At times it's almost uncomfortable to watch. But I rather like it.

I laughed a lot. Loudest at The Actor Kevin Eldon and family viewing the home. Their patient interest.

"That'll be a lot of work for you love" :D

That's a bit lame though isn't it? I mean, being different isn't really enough.

Most people have said the format doesn't work anyway.
It means it's not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator which most TV comedy does these days.

I don't expect everyone to like it or find it funny. If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's loads of other channels available.

It means it's not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator which most TV comedy does these days.

I don't expect everyone to like it or find it funny. If you don't like it, don't watch it. There's loads of other channels available.

There are those if us who previously found Mr Lee funny and are expressing our dissapointment more than anything else. I've said already it's undoubtedly the best comedy on the BBC.

It's not a new direction though. He's been doing this style of comedy for years. Ever since Jerry Springer; The Opera at least.

No, I mean that all his stand-up since he finished with that show has been along these lines. Indeed, most of this series was taken from 42nd Best Stand Up, his most recent tour. But 90s Comedian was very much along the same lines.

Back
Top Bottom