Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC2 10pm from 16th March

It's not a new direction though. He's been doing this style of comedy for years. Ever since Jerry Springer; The Opera at least.

Which was very well written and performed by other people. Hence my comment about his delivery skill.

In last night's show I correctly predicted the next ten minutes of the routine once he was halfway through the bit about Woolworths. It was like, ok, he's laid out Woolworths, MFI, zavvi and he's going to repeat the routine for all 3. And he did, right up to the zavi bit. I'd prefer something a little more challenging. Maybe you're just not as clever as me. :)

It has been a while since I saw him live, true enough. Mid 90's-ish, I think. Sounds like he's been veering off at this tangent for a while, then.

Maybe not. Maybe my intelligence stock is just too damned low. Still, at least I got to enjoy the way in which he physically created the feeling of frustration that he has for the way in which commercial nostalgia has taken over from true intrinsic worth. So maybe it's worth not being as clever as you.

It has been a while since I saw him live, true enough. Mid 90's-ish, I think. Sounds like he's been veering off at this tangent for a while, then.
Oh, most definitely.

It works better live though, without a doubt. In person, in an enclosed space, there is almost a tangible, visceral pathos. In 42nd Best Stand-Up, he spent a good 5 minutes pretending to be Littlejohn changing the gravestone of a murdered sex-worker, tapping with his microphone until you almost wanted to scream with the futility of it. But you couldn't escape from it and the eventual denouement said more about the contempt that he holds for the likes of Littlejohn than any amount of wisecracks would.

He's a great follower of the work of the 1980's cult comedian Ted Chippington, who used to apparently hold his own audience in contempt, turning their approbation back on themselves. Personally, I never got Ted Chippington and still don't. But can see that there is clearly something there to be got.

Oh, most definitely.

It works better live though, without a doubt. In person, in an enclosed space, there is almost a tangible, visceral pathos. In 42nd Best Stand-Up, he spent a good 5 minutes pretending to be Littlejohn changing the gravestone of a murdered sex-worker, tapping with his microphone until you almost wanted to scream with the futility of it. But you couldn't escape from it and the eventual denouement said more about the contempt that he holds for the likes of Littlejohn than any amount of wisecracks would.

He's a great follower of the work of the 1980's cult comedian Ted Chippington, who used to apparently hold his own audience in contempt, turning their approbation back on themselves. Personally, I never got Ted Chippington and still don't. But can see that there is clearly something there to be got.

that routine had me in stitches

'I wonder just how far Richard Littlejohn would go in his quest for the accurate naming of dead women'

He seems to be a bit harsh on thick people at times, but I wonder whether thick people would want people of moderate intelligence being offended on their behalf.

He's harsh on the greedy, the venal and the corrupt too, but no one ever speaks up for them.

First they came for the estate agents . . .

this epise had better be an improvement on last weeks.

I agree, tho i thought he may have had the balls to have a go at the lazy comedy of some US black stand ups and the "The black man drive down the street like this, whilst the white man drive down the street like that" that all of these so-called master stand ups seem to rely on when it was done perfectly by Pryor 30 years ago. He didn't go there, where it a subject ripe for analysing i think. Rant over.

i did send a twitter message to Stewart Lee saying I'd enjoyed the show - weeks later I realised that I hadn't sent it to him, but to his comedy chum Richard Herring:oops:

tried this again cos my son finds it funny.

i didn't laugh once and his smugness irritates the fuck out of me. most of the material used seemed very obvious, and i'm clueless!

i should've seen him live i reckon.

tried this again cos my son finds it funny.

i didn't laugh once and his smugness irritates the fuck out of me. most of the material used seemed very obvious, and i'm clueless!

I do tend to agree with this - its oh so easy to have a go at popular low-common-denominator things in his sneery smug way, but he could at least be funny about it.

I think it was dear Stephen Fry who said its easy to slag everything off, but harder to talk about stuff you like and are passionate about, cos you'll be opening yourself up to smug nobheads like Lee disparaging about it.

last night's was supposed to be about religion but got swapped for what was obviously supposed to be the season finale. Any idea why? Easter?

last night's was excellent

Heh, I thought it was one the weakest.

And I know the sketches are always awful, but that apple one started off OK but went on for about 5 hours too long.

Surely they realised that the one called "Religion" went out on Easter Monday when they did the schedules, so maybe something more topical caused them to shift the last two around.

Funny how the two 40 year old men on this thread thought the episode about the comedian doing his "I'm a 40 year old man and I hate the Travelodge" routine was funny. :D

It's defintely got better I think, the first episode really put me off and the second didn't really warm me to it either, but after a few episodes I find it watchable and quite funny.

last night's was supposed to be about religion but got swapped for what was obviously supposed to be the season finale. Any idea why? Easter?

Yes.

<edit2add> The actor Kevin Eldon was excellent in the apple shop sketch at the end IMO.

Back
Top Bottom