Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Squid Game

I've enjoyed binging this over last few days. I started in English but I just don't like dubbed stuff so watched it in korean with non CC subtitles. Also sound in stereo not 5.1. Netflix do offer choices.

The one thing I thought of as a plot hole (or at least highly unlikely) in the last episode was that it took him a whole year to decide to help out the orphan kid, and Cho San-woo’s mother for that matter. PSTD or not it seems uncharacteristic

The one thing I thought of as a plot hole (or at least highly unlikely) in the last episode was that it took him a whole year to decide to help out the orphan kid, and Cho San-woo’s mother for that matter. PSTD or not it seems uncharacteristic

Didnt think twice about that. He was clearly suffering from PTSD and done in. The meeting with his 'old' mate changed his thinking.

I've watched 4 episodes of this and I'm still not really feeling it.

The ability of these people to just stand around chilling with a hard boiled egg and soda until lights out after witnessing (and almost succumbing to) a mass slaughter by gunfire. Like, yeah ok then.

On the whole I quite liked it, it was engaging etc

The last episode felt like it had been picked apart by Netflix producers to be drawn out into the inevitable season 2 - which was a bit disappointing as I like a nice stand alone series
I agree that the sole motivation behind all the characters actions in the last episode is it try and secure a second series, but I don't think the writers would have tied it all up any better had that not been the case. The whole of the series is a concept full of moral dilemmas. The creators never have to write themselves out of corners because they never really set themselves up to make things difficult.
Overall disappointment, as it was a good idea that I was hoping would surprise me.

The ability of these people to just stand around chilling with a hard boiled egg and soda until lights out after witnessing (and almost succumbing to) a mass slaughter by gunfire. Like, yeah ok then.
Yeah, I agree, there was too much silliness to it for me to get into it. Highly unrealistic characters and behaviours that just don't map to the real world. We're all used to suspending disbelief over a situation, and that's fine, but we shouldn't be asked to suspend disbelief over a character's actions - for example the main character in episode two trying to get his money back from the 'thief' (a) before he's untied properly and (b) when both of them would be in extreme trauma at that moment. Characters behave as they do in order to construct the allegory, but it should never be done that obviously.
As for the content of the allegory, I like that it questions the idea of free will under harsh capitalist conditions, and I like that it involved betting (which I linked to the stock market, but probably not all viewers would). Once again though I found myself disappointed by the simplicity of something claimed by some to be a critique of capitalism.

Good explanation here by the actors themselves about why the English-speaking scenes came across so badly:

Side note: I thought I recognised one of them, this article confirmed it for me. I appeared in an advert for a Chinese credit card with him and an actual tiger in Bangkok in 2009.

Koreans are very emotionally reserved

Just finished Squid Game. Flawed but still brilliant. I genuinely cared about the characters.
Debt and inequality are common themes in Korean cinema in particular, it seems.

I quite like the fact that the valuing of different strengths other than physical (strategy, moral compass etc) was a theme, esp in quite a macho culture.

This article doesn't mention that the regular English subtitles are fine and that it's the closed caption [CC] subtitles which have issues and unless you are deaf or hard of hearing, it's a non-issue. The people who raised the issue on twitter didn't realise they had the CC subtitles on.

CC subtitles are often software generated, while the English subtitles go through an actual translator but I don't know if that's the issue here. Obviously thats shit if you've got subtitles because are deaf or hard of hearing, but if you aren't, check you've got the right subtitles. Sometimes on Netflix, the subtitles default to CC but that becomes clear when you've got subtitles like "romantic music is playing" or "there is a loud explosion" to describe the score and sound effects, so just change them.

That's not how it works. I'm a but too tired to explain in detail, but that's just not how it works. In any way.

It's just so dreadful with English dubbing though, I'd still rather watch with subtitles. TBH, it's boring enough in Korean I'm up to Ep 7 now and still none the wiser as to what all the hype is about.

Koreans are very emotionally reserved
Depends on who you compare them too. They are emotionally reserved when compared to Italians, not so much when compared to the Japanese. I had a few Korean coworkers, none of them struck me as hugely reserved. One became a friend, a warm and funny woman with a cheeky sense of humor and far from reserved.

The last episode felt like it had been picked apart by Netflix producers to be drawn out into the inevitable season 2 - which was a bit disappointing as I like a nice stand alone series
Yeh, I get seriously pissed off with that now.

Depends on who you compare them too. They are emotionally reserved when compared to Italians, not so much when compared to the Japanese. I had a few Korean coworkers, none of them struck me as hugely reserved. One became a friend, a warm and funny woman with a cheeky sense of humor and far from reserved.
It was a kind of a joke but they are very reserved. I worked for a Korean company for a bit and they are very warm and fun like you said, but there are real 1000 year old limits with them

Well, having yawned my way to the end I can safely say I thought it was terrible. How this became the biggest thing ever on Netflix is beyond me.

It actually managed to get worse the further along it went. The script and acting was dreadful. Particularly from the English speaking westerners. It massively overdid it on the violence, and so many scenes just dragged on unnecessarily and unsatisfactorily. It’s basically a second rate black mirror episode which could’ve been condensed into an hour.

I agree. I don't understand the praise. It just doesn't quite deliver what it promises. It's not the worst thing I have ever watched, it's just not that great. I certainly wouldn't be raving about it to anyone. It's got a nice looking style and is a LOT tighter than the usual Korean dramas, but I would say that I even enjoyed the rather lengthy Korean romance/drama/comedy "Crash Landing On You" (for all it's faults) far more than Squid Game.

Just finished episode 7. Really enjoyed it so far except for episode 7. Episode 6 - although predictable - was still nail-biting and emotional. It was jarring to have such a hammy follow up. The VIPs were rubbish of course, but so was most of the episode.

not really a spoiler but kinda hoping the VIPS are all killed with flamethrowers or something in the first two minutes of the episode 8

I don't understand the praise.
How much is it being praised? It's very popular, it's been widely reported as being popular, which has made more people watch it, there's been articles about it being popular and lots of people enjoy it, but has there been much praise?

I watched it because I heard it was popular and I totally enjoyed it for what it is. It's got a good premise, some cool stuff happens, I cared about the characters, wanted to know what was going to happen next and there's a decent subtext to the series. But, I quickly knew that if I wanted to pick at it there was loads to pick at (especially once I got to episode 7). So I took it as it is, didn't go looking for problems and thought it was great.

If people are expecting the characterisation of The Sopranos, the complexity of the Wire, the clever writing of Succession and the cinematography of Mad Men then they're watching the wrong program and are going to be disappointed. If they just want some memorable TV, it delivers.

Back
Top Bottom