Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Squid Game

Bloody hell the acting of the westerners in episode 7 is diabolical.
I love how they are all holding drinks, but there is no way any of them (apart from the one with the tiny shot glass) can actually drink with their masks on.

Why are they not walking along the metal bits along the middle?

Spoiler alert

Reactions: Ax^
Bloody hell the acting of the westerners in episode 7 is diabolical.
I love how they are all holding drinks, but there is no way any of them (apart from the one with the tiny shot glass) can actually drink with their masks on.

Why are they not walking along the metal bits along the middle? or even testing the integrity of the glass first?
I totally thought that about the drinks 🤣🤣

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed now. The waaay too obvious ep6 was a low, and not only was 7 a bore
the VIPs were cheesy (acting and script) and the game easily passable without even touching the glass (did I miss something?)

Last edited:
English language subtitles are a bit shit, apparently.

This article doesn't mention that the regular English subtitles are fine and that it's the closed caption [CC] subtitles which have issues and unless you are deaf or hard of hearing, it's a non-issue. The people who raised the issue on twitter didn't realise they had the CC subtitles on.

CC subtitles are often software generated, while the English subtitles go through an actual translator but I don't know if that's the issue here. Obviously thats shit if you've got subtitles because are deaf or hard of hearing, but if you aren't, check you've got the right subtitles. Sometimes on Netflix, the subtitles default to CC but that becomes clear when you've got subtitles like "romantic music is playing" or "there is a loud explosion" to describe the score and sound effects, so just change them.

We ended up watching it dubbed - a very rare thing, I don't think I've ever done that before, but it just seemed to work better in this case. It allowed for better focus on the actor's faces/acting, as I didn't have to keep reading the subtitles. Which I'm used to doing (I even watch stuff in English with subtitles), but, well, it just works better for Squid Game to watch it dubbed.

I thought episode 6 was great, can't wait for 7 tonight. Just reading that the number used on the recruitment cards is a real number and some poor man has been getting thousands of calls, so Netflix have edited it out.

We also thought about walking on the sides, but they'd probably get shot for doing that? I think they should have addressed it more obviously - i.e. have someone try to do it.

Last edited:
Just watched Ep 7 this morning, this is right up my street and I'm really enjoying it (if enjoying is the right word) - Ep 6 was brutal :(

I suppose I am the only one that thought ep 6 was a bit obvious / dull and a bit of a cop out for the writers.
Seven was so heavily flawed that it became a bore.
Eight was well short. . . and perhaps another slight cop out of the writers. Hopefully the twist I have been hearing about will turn what I perhaps thought was - writers writing themselves out of corners before they even got there - into something clever? I will see tonight.

I dunno, I don't feel like every show has to be really deep with lots of twists and turns that you can't spot.
Correct they don't. I just feel that this one needs an element of surprise for the jeopardy to work.
In episode six we see the contestants get into teams of two. Fairly easy to guess that they will be playing each other as they have not done that yet. Fairly easy to to guess that the girl who didn't get a partner will be back because we don't see or hear her die. The teams all have fairly obvious outcomes based on character billing, we know it will happen we just don't know how. No jeopardy in the main guy trying to get the old man to play, you know it will be sorted by the end of the episode. The wife/husband team would have been the most interesting, but they didn't show that.

Hard to suspend disbelief in episode seven, as it was clearly easier to avoid the glass altogether and walk along the bars rather than jumping . . . even if the glass wasn't breakable.

Episode seven. Girl is already dying, making it easier to write her out. Not such a hard choice for the murderer to make. After all our hero was just about to murder the other guy in his sleep until the girl stopped him. We have nice and easily arrived at the last episode. I am hoping for a surprise to subvert what I have seen take place in the last three episodes.

For me the whole premise is a commentary on greed/money/poverty/debt and how people in dire situations sometimes have so little choice they are prepared to risk their lives for a tiny chance of getting out. I don't see why it needs a twist? The whole thing has been pretty obvious to me, but I don't think it's a bad thing?

For me the whole premise is a commentary on greed/money/poverty/debt and how people in dire situations sometimes have so little choice they are prepared to risk their lives for a tiny chance of getting out. I don't see why it needs a twist? The whole thing has been pretty obvious to me, but I don't think it's a bad thing?
I don't know if it needs a twist, I'm just told the end has one (I have not yet seen the last episode so I can't really comment).
As a social commentary it could be great, though so far I think it's missing the mark a tad if that is the main aim.

Ok, two twists! I'm thinking the middle was better than the ending. But still - worth a watch, lots of interesting things.

I was really annoyed at his broken promises of being a good dad and taking a whole fucking year to help out the boy and his friend's mum. But I suppose that was true to his character, he could have been a good dad before anyway, he just sort of gave up after he lost his job and gambled instead. So at the very end he makes that choice again, instead of going to see his daughter he turns around in some sort of Don Quixote quest to? I guess there'll be a second season? Will I watch it? Probably maybe not.

The red hair was quite funny though, but I think unintentionally so. I thought the old dying man's final words on why he joined the game hit something of a nerve. I liked that bit

Last edited:
Ok, two twists! I'm thinking the middle was better than the ending. But still - worth a watch, lots of interesting things.

I was really annoyed at his broken promises of being a good dad and taking a whole fucking year to help out the boy and his friend's mum. But I suppose that was true to his character, he could have been a good dad before anyway, he just sort of gave up after he lost his job and gambled instead. So at the very end he makes that choice again, instead of going to see his daughter he turns around in some sort of Don Quixote quest to? I guess there'll be a second season? Will I watch it? Probably maybe not.

The red hair was quite funny though, but I think unintentionally so. I thought the old dying man's final words on why he joined the game hit something of a nerve. I liked that bit
Humm was there a real 'twist'? not really. Apart from it being quite a bit of fun for the first half of the series I was disappointed overall. The characters are more motivated by what makes things easy for the writers more than anything else.

Guy who only cares about surviving no matter what kills himself? Hero chap is broken man, fine. I guess I have to go along with that as the reason for not seeking out that kid for so long. Twist of old man being behind it all was boring, and not foreshadowed in anything thing other than the fact that they graphically showed everyone who died dying.
The end appeared to be written to set up a second series rather than tie a bow on whatever the first one was all about.
It really didn't feel like the post squid game actions of the protagonist were in keeping with his character or the development of his character in the game, especially at the end.

I’ve got to the end of episode 6 and enjoying it. Seem to be picking up some Korean along the way, which an unexpected benefit. Oopa = “honey”

Grateful to you all for avoiding open spoilers in this thread :thumbs:

For Korean 'how will they ever get out of that' on Netflix, I preferred Crash Landing on You, even though it is a fairly typical (though very much above average for sure) Korean rom com drama series.

Humm was there a real 'twist'? not really. Apart from it being quite a bit of fun for the first half of the series I was disappointed overall. The characters are more motivated by what makes things easy for the writers more than anything else.

Guy who only cares about surviving no matter what kills himself? Hero chap is broken man, fine. I guess I have to go along with that as the reason for not seeking out that kid for so long. Twist of old man being behind it all was boring, and not foreshadowed in anything thing other than the fact that they graphically showed everyone who died dying.
The end appeared to be written to set up a second series rather than tie a bow on whatever the first one was all about.
It really didn't feel like the post squid game actions of the protagonist were in keeping with his character or the development of his character in the game, especially at the end.
To say it wasn't foreshadowed is ridiculous. Everything was foreshadowed.
  • Deok-su (the thug) jumped off a bridge, and was eliminated from the game when he died in the glass bridge segment.
  • Ali (the thief) took money from his boss, and was eliminated from the game after his marbles were stolen from him.
  • Sae-byeok (the defector) held a knife to someone’s throat, and was eliminated from the game by being stabbed in the throat by Sang-woo.
  • Sang-woo (the businessman) tried to kill himself, and was eliminated from the game when he killed himself after Gi-hun refused to.
  • Gi-hun (the winner) was never eliminated, but at one point swore on his mother’s life, and when he returned home, found his mother had died in his absence.
As for the old man twist:
  • He's player 001, his name translates as First Man, he's from a completely different demographic to all the rest of the players.
  • He is the only player unmoved and unsurprised by the carnage going on around him.
  • He chooses the star over the umbrella in the shape game as he knows it's a much easier shape to cut out.
  • He stopped the riots when he feared they were going to hurt him. He asked for help and the guards came in.
  • He had the perfect strategy for tug-of-war, since he'd seen it work so many times before.
  • When the police man is looking through the player files, it starts with 002. There is no 001
I'm sure there are probably more that I've forgotten.

Squid Game, which was released on 17 September, is on track to become Netflix’s most-watched show ever, captivating viewers around the globe with its mixture of dark drama and commentary on the failures of South Korean-style capitalism.

Household debt in South Korea has risen in recent years and is now equivalent to more than 100% of GDP – a level not seen elsewhere in Asia.

Indebtedness has gone hand in hand with a dramatically widening income gap, exacerbated by rising youth unemployment and property prices in big cities beyond the means of most ordinary workers.

As Squid Game illustrates, a sudden redundancy, a bad investment or simply a run of bad luck can force people to turn to high-risk lenders just to keep their heads above water.

I’ve got to the end of episode 6 and enjoying it. Seem to be picking up some Korean along the way, which an unexpected benefit. Oopa = “honey”

Grateful to you all for avoiding open spoilers in this thread :thumbs:
Probably “Oppa” as in a woman talking to a man (most likely a bf)

Honey as a term of affection would be “yeobo”

I never learnt the Hangul alphabet but remember a smattering of romanised words from having been in a relationship with a Korean.

I'm sure after Crash Landing on You everyone in our house was dropping short Korean phrases here and there . . . I must have learnt some when I went to Korea too. . . . fucked if I can remember any now though.

You know you want it:

Squid game Halloween costume on banggood.com

[Kr294.47 8% OFF]Squid Game Costume Red Jumpsuit Halloween Costume Party Cosplay Costume Suit With Belt Gloves Role Play Clothes Set Festival Gifts & Party Supplies from Home and Garden on banggood https://banggood.app.link/MtKbyv51jkb

View attachment 292578
I'm seeing a lot of these (and the green jumpsuits) on Facebook. I wish the internets had been around when Logans Run and Space 1999 had been on telly.

Back
Top Bottom