Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Squid Game: The Challenge

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I am not usually a fan of reality shows and give a miss to most of them, but I am very much looking forward to this one. Three weeks to go now :)

A few of the contestants have spoken anonymously to Variety magazine about the now notorious first couple of days of filming, which many participants described as ‘inhumane’. Though one could argue (and many have on social media) that if you sign up for a contest based on such a show and with a $4.5m prize, you should expect a little hardship at least :D

I am not usually a fan of reality shows and give a miss to most of them, but I am very much looking forward to this one. Three weeks to go now :)

A few of the contestants have spoken anonymously to Variety magazine about the now notorious first couple of days of filming, which many participants described as ‘inhumane’. Though one could argue (and many have on social media) that if you sign up for a contest based on such a show and with a $4.5m prize, you should expect a little hardship at least :D

signing up to based on a series where they kill all the contestants and then complaining it too hard

:D

signing up to based on a series where they kill all the contestants and then complaining it too hard

:D
Apparently the production team fucked up a bit with the welfare aspect during the first day of filming- not enough heating or coats on an incredibly cold day and many hours hanging around in a hangar before they started filming, but in their defence that happened to be one of the coldest days the UK had seen in years, far more than normal. If the game in question had actually been a cold temperature challenge, I doubt anyone would have described the conditions as inhumane.

Reactions: Ax^
ah fair point suppose it not so straight forward

but honestly if you signed up to that type of game i'd expect not to have a good time

Oh :( . I don’t know a thing yet about S2 or what the set up is. But given that S1 felt like it was written as complete story (which I much prefer to open ended series), I was already expecting S2 to be inferior.

They cued it up in the last episode,
the protagonist was gonna get revenge on the whole squid game operation - the follow up that no one wanted.

Absolutely fucking brilliant first episode. So far it feels much more of a twisted yet fascinating social experiment than a contest show, and has additional games not seen in the series to further stir the pot.

Just fantastic, and I love it :)

I watched the first episode and got bored of the manipulative editing. Put it on 1.5 speed and still found it dull. I'll keep trying though.

If you can’t bear manipulative editing then you can only watch television performed by professionals. I quite like the editing on this.

I don't hate it per se.

It annoys me when it's so obvious that I don't get the chance to have my own reaction before "oh god this manipulative editing is a bit heavy handed“ becomes my overriding reaction.

Last edited:
I didn’t even think of the editing, let alone find it annoying. If I have to think of a criticism it would be…. two, actually: number of players the programme is following up close is too small given how many players are still in the game: and the nationality pool of the contestants is massively US-centric- at least those being featured regularly.

But whereas I had been hoping it would be good, like many others I had feared it was going to be shit, or best mediocre and devoid of any tension, considering the premise of the series it’s based on, and that the fact that, er, obviously nobody gets killed. And to their credit they have managed to create something gripping and often edge-of-seat so. And I speak as someone who doesn’t like reality shows much.

Above all for me, this is a massive social experiment exercise. It doesn’t reveal anything we don’t already know about human nature, but it’s absolutely absorbing to see the social interactions between the players.

The cleverest thing the show’s creators have done is introduce all those new games not seen in the original series. They are having far a more devastating effect on the players than the games from the original show.

ETA: I kept thinking episode five felt like a filler, but the ending… :eek:

Gonna give this a watch
Not saying it’s as great as the original series, but if one liked the show chances are they should at least reasonably enjoy this. And to anyone who hasn’t watched the original series but likes reality shows, this is better than most of the last few years. Positively pisses on the likes Celebrity or Love Island.

I'm watching now based on this thread. . . .
. . but so far it's a pretty straight forward tedious american reality show. I'm only half an hour in though, so we will see if it becomes more interesting. It's no 'Physical 100' that's for sure.

I hate hate hate all the interviews and sound bites. I edit TV shows (UK and US) and boy to the yanks love sticking as many of these in as they possibly can. They also aren't quite so tied up in red tape as the UK is in terms of 'reality' reality. Stuff is reshot, Interviews are often conducted after the event and people are told what to say.
Of course that might not be the case for this show, so perhaps I am being a bit cynical, but so far it does follow the 'formula'.

Worst of all though, why are they peeling carrots? What a waste of food.

I don't hate it per se.

It annoys me when it's so obvious that I don't get the chance to have my own reaction before "oh god this manipulative editing is a bit heavy handed' becomes my overriding reaction.
This. It's the american way. As an editor (by profession) it is initially extremely painful to work on US productions (it's not just game shows it's any 'reality' show or documentary) it goes against all editing instincts.

. . . Ah, my family have spoken. They hate it. Looks like we are out.

I recommend the Korean Netfilx show 'Physical 100' if you haven't seen it. That really is a really good reality challenge show.

I did think too many Americans in it too. Giggled at ex-corporate currently knitted tea cosied famished Italian 😂 I believe there must be a Brazilian in there somewhere given the cities shown at the start. About to get going with episode 2.

Last edited:
Perfect telly to watch with the teens - we had a great time watching the first couple of episodes last night and we'll be back for more for sure....

We also watched the first few minutes of episode 3 to see if the British Asian chap managed to persuade anyone to answer the phone by promising them a chocolate muffin :) - that was my favorite bit so far - why on earth did he think it a good idea to answer the phone a second time and after doing so could he not come up with a better strategy than desperately running about going 'does nobody want a muffin? :D

I didn’t even think of the editing, let alone find it annoying. If I have to think of a criticism it would be…. two, actually: number of players the programme is following up close is too small given how many players are still in the game: and the nationality pool of the contestants is massively US-centric- at least those being featured regularly.

But whereas I had been hoping it would be good, like many others I had feared it was going to be shit, or best mediocre and devoid of any tension, considering the premise of the series it’s based on, and that the fact that, er, obviously nobody gets killed. And to their credit they have managed to create something gripping and often edge-of-seat so. And I speak as someone who doesn’t like reality shows much.

Above all for me, this is a massive social experiment exercise. It doesn’t reveal anything we don’t already know about human nature, but it’s absolutely absorbing to see the social interactions between the players.

The cleverest thing the show’s creators have done is introduce all those new games not seen in the original series. They are having far a more devastating effect on the players than the games from the original show.

ETA: I kept thinking episode five felt like a filler, but the ending… :eek:

They all deserved to be eliminated for that. They all knew what the marbles meant, and they all knew that it was the game coming up next. They should have been utterly on their guard against any attempt to get them to pair up. And they were fooled by picnic blankets? Staggering.

We’re enjoying it,

we were both delighted for the jock fella (no. 432 I think). Also loved when the British fella (I think the phone answerer) called him a frat boy and he (432) pretty much threatened him and said don’t call me frat boy again - “ok frat boy”. Brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom