Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Squatting 70s style, BBC4 8 Feb

well this should be intresting

at least i might see a few people i remeber ... but to be honest from what i know this place was just full of nutters back then (fairly mauch as it is now)

i wonder if they will mention the house of the primal screamers... they sounded like a laugh

well much as it was good to see it on TV, it was so short as to be almost meaningless. any commissioning editor must see there's enough material for at least a one -hour doc, if not a series about squatting as a whole

well a lot of the squatters did opt out as they would have no influence on the final product

and also if you still live their it is perhaps not to great to go on a film about it

Shippou-Chan said:
well a lot of the squatters did opt out as they would have no influence on the final product

and also if you still live their it is perhaps not to great to go on a film about it

no-one lives there anymore it's all been knocked down bar 93 and one other house :( :mad:

Shippou-Chan said:
unnhhh... there are two rows of houses on villa road

only one side was knocked down

otherwise this room would be rather drafty

the film was about st agnes place not villa road :confused:

the one metioned in the opening post and througout is about villa rd it's on wendsday

i didn't quite realise we were talking at cross purposes

Shippou-Chan said:

Understandable, but it makes the final result rather incomplete, and this programme will become the accepted wisdom, for better or worse. I know a lot of people refused to have anything to do with it, but also know quite a few who've tried to prevent it becoming a parody. It's hard to know whether more people talking to them would have made a better programme (eg less emphasis on the screamers ;) ) or just given more ammunition to sympatheticish-but-facile filmmakers who didn't have firsthand knowledge. Whatever, it is what it is, and I imagine they've updated the version I saw to recognise the eviction in St Agnes.

Dubversion said:
well much as it was good to see it on TV, it was so short as to be almost meaningless. any commissioning editor must see there's enough material for at least a one -hour doc, if not a series about squatting as a whole

I agree.
Although I think my expectations were way too high.

Did anyone else see tonights film? Seemed like a total stitch up to me. I mean, was that woman from Lambeth council or what? She actually used the word 're-vitalise'.
Was very sad to see the street being demolished. :(

aurora green said:
Did anyone else see tonights film? Seemed like a total stitch up to me. I mean, was that woman from Lambeth council or what? She actually used the word 're-vitalise'.
Was very sad to see the street being demolished. :(

Very sad tbh :(

Blaming the drugs on the squatters when people have seen the crack dealers with their own eyes fish drugs hidden in the bins to deal out all day. :mad:

well.

i'm not sure how great that was, there seemed to be a lot of vague footage of the backs of people walking through doors.

i can see why people might not have wanted to participate. it was an eclectic mix of people - but were they the interesting ones??

one thing i'm sure of is that i doubt i'll ever do anythjing as exiting as my parents.

wiskers

I really enjoyed that :cool:

Shit to see St Agnes Place again :( But the people that lived there were realy interesting and the whole primal scream thing made me laugh :D

Why did that guy still wanna live in a tent in a house though? :confused:

wiskey said:
well.

i'm not sure how great that was, there seemed to be a lot of vague footage of the backs of people walking through doors.

i can see why people might not have wanted to participate. it was an eclectic mix of people - but were they the interesting ones??

one thing i'm sure of is that i doubt i'll ever do anythjing as exiting as my parents.

wiskers

Who didn't wanna participate? :confused:

wiskey said:
cool. can i have a copy?
I'm just checking to see if it got saved all right, and how big the file is.

Edit: Yup its OK - but its 363 MB
Any idea how to get it to you?

zenie said:
Who didn't wanna participate? :confused:

the great many who didnt appear in the film. if in one year there were over 200 squatters int he road why did they only find 20 willing to play ball??

i kept noticing people being interviewd who'd lived there a year at most (which doesnt make them any less valid, just less subjective).

Originally Posted by Shippou-Chan
well a lot of the squatters did opt out as they would have no influence on the final product and also if you still live their it is perhaps not to great to go on a film about it

TeeJay said:
I'm just checking to see if it got saved all right, and how big the file is.

Edit: Yup its OK - but its 363 MB
Any idea how to get it to you?

hmm. could try email. i'll check the torrents tomrrow and see if i can d/load it.

Back
Top Bottom