Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need is something that has the industrial scale cost efficiencies of a large chain/franchise operation, so that the pizzas are not expensive, but is also independently owned and managed by people who are authentically local and neither cash or capital rich and who aren't despicable greedy so-and-sos who want to charge extra for providing something that's better than the industrial chain operations.

They sound great - they’d be snapped up by private equity before you know it.

I find this a bit emotionally confusing.
I support the right of Cressingham Gardens to stay substantially as it is, and I support the right of people to poke around in the council's accounts to uncover anomalies, waste and corruption.

But can I attend a meeting chaired by Kate Hoey? (without wishing her 6 foot under at the very least)
View attachment 126693

I went to this meeting, which was pretty well attended.

I really don’t like her, but I thought Kate Hoey (though late), was pretty good. She’s clearly much more understanding of residents’ feelings and opinions than the Council has ever been.

I won’t try to summarise the meeting, I think others will do that better than I could, but I was very, very impressed with the Peoples Audit, they’ve mustered some serious skills and enormous amounts of time and energy.

There’s never really been any point in trying to argue with the Council on moral or political lines, they simply never, ever listen.

People’s Audit have the expertise and energy to call Lambeth to account using the Council’s own numbers which, as we know, are always opaque, concealed and inaccurate.

For the first time in my 40 years in Lambeth, there actually seems to be a chance that Lambeth will be held to account for (at least some of) their decisions.

Peoples’ Audit isn’t a front for any political party, contrary to the smears from Lambeth Labour, so I’d really urge all of us to support them as much as possible. Their use of numbers and legal processes seems to have a better chance of bringing change than any other method.

Huge thanks to Peoples’ Audit and the Cressingham Gardens residents.

The Peoples Audit – Join The Conversation

I always think the big chains are expensive even before you add in drinks.

[EDIT] Just had a look at the mamadough menu and the most expensive was about £12. I got a dominos on Tuesday and it was £15 on a special midweek offer.

Just been comparing menus and Mama Dough are a lot cheaper.
Last week walked across the road and paid £20.50 for two takeaway veggie pizzas at Mama Dough. which were OK, but not great (but better than before). Judging by the spam they've been shoving through my letter box of late, Dominoes have far cheaper deals. Can you show me where Dominoes are more expensive for a similar order?

Last week walked across the road and paid £20.50 for two takeaway veggie pizzas at Mama Dough. which were OK, but not great (but better than before). Judging by the spam they've been shoving through my letter box of late, Dominoes have far cheaper deals. Can you show me where Dominoes are more expensive for a similar order?

From Dominoes website- 1 Vegi Supreme 13.5 inch- £18.50. The higher price is probably due to the superior ingredients they use.

From Dominoes website- 1 Vegi Supreme 13.5 inch- £18.50. The higher price is probably due to the superior ingredients they use.
That's hardly a reasonable comparison as the Mama Dough one is nowhere near that size.

But we both know that Dominoes do loads of cheaper deals so I'm not sure what point it is you're trying to prove.

Last edited:
Domino's pizza do seem rather expensive for a take away.

They run on Franchises and maybe deals are down to the franchise.

Article last year saying that Domino's prices vary widely across the world. In NZ they are a cheap takeaway. Not here.

Why is Domino's so expensive in the UK and cheap in Australia and New Zealand? | Metro News

Myself if the Domino's is going to be charging over a tenner for a pizza I will be giving it a miss.

There is one in the City I go buy it's looks busy on delivery side in daytime. For the City it's reasonable price I suppose. I guess Domino prices worldwide are partly set on what they think enough people will pay in each country.

Here someone has seen Mama dough is doing ok, new private flats almost finished behind those shops and it's near Brixton.

I don't understand spending all that on takeaway. I get frozen pizza from Iceland or Lidl for one or two pounds.

Last edited:
You can’t really compare frozen supermarket pizza and takeaway tbh. You are paying for wages, rent and fresh ingredients. Of course it’s cheaper to make it yourself at home. And there’s no comparison between frozen pizza and fresh pizza from a proper oven.

Domino's pizza do seem rather expensive for a take away.

They run on Franchises and maybe deals are down to the franchise.

Article last year saying that Domino's prices vary widely across the world. In NZ they are a cheap takeaway. Not here.

Why is Domino's so expensive in the UK and cheap in Australia and New Zealand? | Metro News

Myself if the Domino's is going to be charging over a tenner for a pizza I will be giving it a miss.

There is one in the City I go buy it's looks busy on delivery side in daytime. For the City it's reasonable price I suppose. I guess Domino prices worldwide are partly set on what they think enough people will pay in each country.

Here someone has seen Mama dough is doing ok, new private flats almost finished behind those shops and it's near Brixton.

I don't understand spending all that on takeaway. I get frozen pizza from Iceland or Lidl for one or two pounds.

Mama Dough charging £6.50 for a 'Margarita' pizza, or Dominoes charging- £13.50 for a 'cheese pizza'.

Mama Dough charging £6.50 for a 'Margarita' pizza, or Dominoes charging- £13.50 for a 'cheese pizza'.

But which tastes better....if cost is the point then got for a frozen.

Domino's and the rolling on toaster style pizza grills are not for me. It's basically a very expensive grilled cheese.

I thought I heard gunshots this morning at 5.15am in the Saulton Rd, Rushcroft Rd, Vining St, Atlantic Rd area. Anyone else? I might have been dreaming of course.

Unless you want a "personal" pizza from Dominos which is £5. "Personal" translates as a miniscule 7"! What size are Mama Dough's? Doesn't appear to say on the website menu.

I thought I heard gunshots this morning at 5.15am in the Saulton Rd, Rushcroft Rd, Vining St, Atlantic Rd area. Anyone else? I might have been dreaming of course.

Mrs Winot heard the same thing.

medium 11.5 inch cheese and tomato at dominos is £13.99 according to yr link.

mama dough basic margarita is £8.50, I’ve had one and its about 11.5 inches.

mamma dough is fucking miles cheaper - and they are a restaurant for which you normally get charged more for sitting in.

So that makes it Domino’s even more expensive.

It is 60% of the price of a dominos. That’s coming up to half the price.

Stop getting pizzas wrong.

Case closed and stop talking bollocks.

Last edited:
Can't be arsed with this pizza nonsense. The leaflets in my door make it very clear I can get two veggie pizzas for less than £20. Case reopened and closed forever. End of.

Can't be arsed with this pizza nonsense. The leaflets in my door make it very clear I can get two veggie pizzas for less than £20. Case reopened and closed forever. End of.

nope. Case has been reopened on appeal, which has been approved by the relevant authorities.

limited time discounts and deals are not acceptable as evidence, and any judgement based on these have been overturned. the legal yardstick is the price advertised on their respective websites for equivalent products.

its ok to admit you’re wrong sometimes you do know that don’t you ?

nope. Case has been reopened on appeal, which has been approved by the relevant authorities.

limited time discounts and deals are not acceptable as evidence, and any judgement based on these have been overturned. the legal yardstick is the price advertised on their respective websites for equivalent products.

its ok to admit you’re wrong sometimes you do know that don’t you ?
Shut up now please. I don't care how long the deals are running for. It's the price that I pay when I want to eat a fucking pizza. I won't ever use Dominoes because they're shit and I'm unlikely to ever use Mama Dough again because I'm not going to pay over twenty quid for two fairly average takeaway pizzas I pick up myself.

Shut up now please. I don't care how long the deals are running for. It's the price that I pay when I want to eat a fucking pizza. I won't ever use Dominoes because they're shit and I'm unlikely to ever use Mama Dough again because I'm not going to pay over twenty quid for two fairly average takeaway pizzas I pick up myself.

is everything ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom