Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reposting this message from Brockwell Community Park Partners

brockwellparkcommunitypartners.org.uk

Dear Colleague

BPCP members may recall that about 4 years ago, Lambeth set up a programme of capital Investment in parks, with Lambeth allocating £11m from its capital funds, in the expectation that friends groups and MACs would raise another £9m from grants.

To facilitate this, they were to appoint two fundraisers to assist community volunteers in obtaining this money. They are now working toward putting the first fund raiser in place. We have been asked to circulate a link to the advert for a fundraiser to work with Lambeth Parks.

Please send it on to anyone you think may be interested. The link information is below.

The Fundraising Officer post is now re-advertised, closing date 11 March

There is a direct link to the advert here:

https://ig24.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_lbl01.asp?s=4A515F4E5A565B1A&jobid=126128,4023694135&key=82537387&c=652365235614&pagestamp=sejtlhrnzdvjdfivyy

or people can just search current vacancies at Lambeth via the Lambeth website.

Regards

Susy

Secretary for The Brockwell Park Community Partners

I'm reposting this message from Brockwell Community Park Partners

brockwellparkcommunitypartners.org.uk

Dear Colleague

BPCP members may recall that about 4 years ago, Lambeth set up a programme of capital Investment in parks, with Lambeth allocating £11m from its capital funds, in the expectation that friends groups and MACs would raise another £9m from grants.

To facilitate this, they were to appoint two fundraisers to assist community volunteers in obtaining this money. They are now working toward putting the first fund raiser in place. We have been asked to circulate a link to the advert for a fundraiser to work with Lambeth Parks.

Please send it on to anyone you think may be interested. The link information is below.

The Fundraising Officer post is now re-advertised, closing date 11 March

There is a direct link to the advert here:

https://ig24.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_lbl01.asp?s=4A515F4E5A565B1A&jobid=126128,4023694135&key=82537387&c=652365235614&pagestamp=sejtlhrnzdvjdfivyy

or people can just search current vacancies at Lambeth via the Lambeth website.

Regards

Susy

Secretary for The Brockwell Park Community Partners
Big Society in action!

I find this a bit emotionally confusing.
I support the right of Cressingham Gardens to stay substantially as it is, and I support the right of people to poke around in the council's accounts to uncover anomalies, waste and corruption.

But can I attend a meeting chaired by Kate Hoey? (without wishing her 6 foot under at the very least)
View attachment 126693

She's chairing, not pontificating.

So you are saying give it a go - and try that posh new bar in Tulse Hill afterwards that everyone's getting on their high horse about?

I'm saying that I think it'll be worth it, and that The Sympathetic Ear is a bit posh, but that I like their draught cider.

Reactions: CH1
craft-beer-reopening-1.jpg

Half price drinks at Brixton’s Craft Beer Co’s re-opening party, Thurs 22nd Feb

Glad to hear this bastard has been locked up. Good work by the cops too.
Adam Ward, 34 (08.07.84) of Atherfold Road SW9, pleaded guilty to serious sexual assault at Kingston Crown Court on 27th November 2017.

On Monday, 12 February, Ward was sentenced to 12 years and 6 months.

On the afternoon of 28 May, the victim; a woman in her 30s; attended a police station and reported being attacked in the early hours.

She told officers she was on her way home after a night out in Clapham when she was grabbed from behind by her attacker. He put his hands over her mouth and throat to stop her from screaming, forced her to the floor and sexually assaulted her. The woman suffered minor injuries.

Man jailed for sexual assault

Blacker Dread film trailer.

"Fusspottery"... "I allow you to touch my hair if you allow me to touch your breasts"... :hmm:

I find this a bit emotionally confusing.
I support the right of Cressingham Gardens to stay substantially as it is, and I support the right of people to poke around in the council's accounts to uncover anomalies, waste and corruption.

But can I attend a meeting chaired by Kate Hoey? (without wishing her 6 foot under at the very least)
View attachment 126693

I agree. With Brexit Kate Hoey has shown herself to have the same views on immigration and what Britishness is as UKIP. She voted against Labour party amendment to guarantee existing EU citizens right to stay here.

MPs condemned for voting against guaranteeing EU citizens' right after Brexit

The People's Audit should not have invited someone with her views to Chair the meeting. Many people in Lambeth believe in a tolerant multicultural society and have no problems with immigration. It wasn't necessary to have Kate chair the meeting. After all the People's Audit is supposed to be politically neutral.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
Something kicked off outside Natwest this evening. Police tape all over the area.
There was some heavy argy-bargy that briefly meandered into the Vodafone shop around 6.30pm with a lot of people interested in getting involved. Maybe it was related...?

The People's Audit should not have invited someone with her views to Chair the meeting. Many people in Lambeth believe in a tolerant multicultural society and have no problems with immigration. It wasn't necessary to have Kate chair the meeting. After all the People's Audit is supposed to be politically neutral.
I agree about having a neutral chair, though I suppose even chairing such a meeting might be seen as partisan.

An interesting choice might have been Lord Adebowale who is a cross-bench peer, and earlier in his career worked in the Ujima Office on top of the Electriciy Board (now a Sainsbury local) on Brixton Road.

I dare say Victor is currently too busy with his various social projects around Turning Point - though I think his no nonsense approach would have been equally as incisive as Kate Hoeys, without the UKIP baggage.

There’s a super dooper family friendly day at the Black History Archives today with my all time hero Rodney P curating black British sound to close the black sound exhibition that’s been running for the past few months. Music all day from uk hip hop legends, reggae artists and more. There’s even candy floss. Come down!

A8589282-E189-4FD5-B68A-5143F21F8E51.png

There’s a super dooper family friendly day at the Black History Archives today with my all time hero Rodney P curating black British sound to close the black sound exhibition that’s been running for the past few months. Music all day from uk hip hop legends, reggae artists and more. There’s even candy floss. Come down!

View attachment 127655
I wish they'd sent me the details as I could have done a feature on Buzz....

REC USERS OPEN MEETING WITH GENERAL MANAGER

BRiXTON REC USERS HAVE THEIR SAY WITH GENERAL MANAGER

Forty users raised many matters with Rec General Manager Mo Yousseff, at a lively meeting organised by BRUG (Brixton Rec Users Group)
BRUG is pursuing these key points with users, Gll and Lambeth:

Opening the building, gym etc on time
More exercise classes and improved booking system
Communications: phones, website & Facebook, notices in the Brixton Rec
Overall Security/supervision in gym
Handling of incidents
Cleaning, especially change rooms
Maintenance

Mo has drawn up an action plan to progress many of these.

BRUG want to have a programme of similar meetings.

A detailed report of the meeting is attached.( see link above)

Last edited:
It's only taken them 4 years to get the ball rolling and at that sort of salary they are not going to be attracting the best of the bunch.....
The best fund-raiser in the world, being paid £250k a year, would most likely *still* fail in that one....

Not that I'm any expert in commercial property prices but somehow 37M doesn't seem all that much for what is quite a lot of space in such a central location.

This make for a depressing read:

Shares in London & Associated Properties plc (LON:LAS) jumped after saying that has agreed to sell London’s Brixton Markets for £37.25mln in cash.

The company said it was selling Market Row and Brixton Village, part of the markets, to an undisclosed “private group of companies”.

Shares rose 26% to 28.5p in morning trading.

LAP bought Brixton Markets as part of the Atlantic Group of Companies in 2006. It plans to use the £16mln of the proceeds from the sale to repay debt with the rest to be added to its cash reserves.

“Brixton Markets were in a state of decline when we acquired them, with significant levels of voids,” said chief executive John Heller,

“Following a programme of intense and proactive management, we are proud that today they are home to arguably the most vibrant restaurant scene in London.

“We will now look for new projects where we can use our management skills to create similar strong levels of growth.”
The "most vibrant restaurant scene in London". Woohoo.

This make for a depressing read:

The "most vibrant restaurant scene in London". Woohoo.
On another note, the Caribbean take away restaurant on Coldharbour Lane opp the Barrier Block is now closed and being totally gutted. I asked the builders what was going on and they said.
“IT’S GOING TO BE A DOMINOES PIZZA”

What we need is something that has the industrial scale cost efficiencies of a large chain/franchise operation, so that the pizzas are not expensive, but is also independently owned and managed by people who are authentically local and neither cash or capital rich and who aren't despicable greedy so-and-sos who want to charge extra for providing something that's better than the industrial chain operations.

On another note, the Caribbean take away restaurant on Coldharbour Lane opp the Barrier Block is now closed and being totally gutted. I asked the builders what was going on and they said.
“IT’S GOING TO BE A DOMINOES PIZZA”
No, really? I was hoping it was just going to be a refurb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom