Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
brixton-sunset-2018-1.jpg

Pic of the day: Brixton sunset from the Barrier Block, February 2018

Went to the hand in hand today: proper boozer : football, pool, dogs and fights - old school !!!
There was a fight in the Beehive yesterday about 6.30 pm. Young macho whites who'd had too much and the senior barman quite rightly refused to serve.
After being ejected they came back to throw a street sign at the facade which made a hell of a racket but fortunately didn't break the windows.

I had just come in and was being served. The barmaid said "Is this what it's like? - it's my first day!"

Baptism of Beehive fire.

No step free access at Brixton tube from today until September. Nearest step free access to the Vic Line is Vauxhall.

That's a bit shit.

That is very shit. How can it take 6 months to upgrade some lifts that aren't that old.
As a rule of thumb to install a lift takes about a week per floor plus a week, although will be longer here owing to the depth travelled. I don't know the depth but say it is equivalent to 4 storeys then allowing a bit of time saving for not having to fit doors at intermediate floors and allowing the same time to remove the old installation, then i can see it coming to 2 and a half months/lift especially as the old bits need to be removed upwards rather than down, and they will have restricted working hours.

It could easily go to three months, and if you have to leave one lift operational to move materials then that gives you the 6 months.

Post Office Purgatory in Ferndale Road this morning - waited 15 minutes with the queue snaking out of the door and in that whole time - despite having 3 counters apparently working plus one lady who popped out every now and again to stroll between them eating some fruit - they managed to attend to ONE (1) customer.

Post Office Purgatory in Ferndale Road this morning - waited 15 minutes with the queue snaking out of the door and in that whole time - despite having 3 counters apparently working plus one lady who popped out every now and again to stroll between them eating some fruit - they managed to attend to ONE (1) customer.
A situation not helped by them being forced into smaller premises after super rich Squire & Partners bagsied the large premises next door.

^ I blame the management / the bosses rather than the work space available tbh. And it was often just as dire in the older larger PO. There are obviously just not enough staff to do the job and those that are there aren't being allowed / taught / supervised to do it properly.
Yes, more counters would be nice but my beef here was that there were only 3 (of total 8) staffed this morning anyway, and those 3 were taking it verrrrry verrrrry slowly.

^ I blame the management / the bosses rather than the work space available tbh. And it was often just as dire in the older larger PO. There are obviously just not enough staff to do the job and those that are there aren't being allowed / taught / supervised to do it properly.
Yes, more counters would be nice but my beef here was that there were only 3 (of total 8) staffed this morning anyway, and those 3 were taking it verrrrry verrrrry slowly.
The old PO was hideous too but at least you didn't have to queue outside the place. Now that space is being used to display Objets D'art in splendid isolation while people shiver in the cold.

At least we can sell the brand Nu Townhall, wonder if we would get the quoted £50million or the suggested £100 million cost. Council considers selling new £53m HQ
I should check the small print before saying something like that.

The freehold of the Nu Town Hall complex could be shared with MUSE (i.e. Morgan Sindall). Or the freehold could be "encumbered" with a charge (mortgage or restriction on sale or remortgage).

MUSE appointed Savills to manage the Town Hall. Will there be any money left for services? Muse appoints Savills at Brixton New Town Hall

I should check the small print before saying something like that.

The freehold of the Nu Town Hall complex could be shared with MUSE (i.e. Morgan Sindall). Or the freehold could be "encumbered" with a charge (mortgage or restriction on sale or remortgage).

MUSE appointed Savills to manage the Town Hall. Will there be any money left for services? Muse appoints Savills at Brixton New Town Hall

Why not Foxton's? Just to really rub it in.

Just been out to post a letter - quite a challenge these days. There's no post box outside the main post office any more. There's a sign in the window telling you that the nearest box is 'up the road', 'by the bridge', at '224 Ferndale Road'. But it's bollocks. The simpletons can't even get the address of their own post box right. What kind of moron goes to the trouble to type and print an A4 notice but makes no effort to get the text right? Whoever it was, I'd like to make them eat it.

Just been out to post a letter - quite a challenge these days. There's no post box outside the main post office any more. There's a sign in the window telling you that the nearest box is 'up the road', 'by the bridge', at '224 Ferndale Road'. But it's bollocks. The simpletons can't even get the address of their own post box right. What kind of moron goes to the trouble to type and print an A4 notice but makes no effort to get the text right? Whoever it was, I'd like to make them eat it.

Why can't they just have a post box at the bloody post office.

What the fuck does this mean?

Savills has been instructed to oversee the set-up and ongoing management of the residential element due to complete September 2018.

Helen Woollven, director in the property management team at Savills, comments: “This scheme will act as a focal point for the Brixton community, and is pivotal to all the other changes the area is undergoing, and therefore the longevity of delivery is essential.”

"All the other changes" polite way of saying the area is being gentrified.

I don't understand exactly what Savill role is. Are they estate agent for the sales of the flats?

Last edited:

I don't understand exactly what Savill role is. Are the estate agent for the sales of the flats?
That Wollven woman is just spouting meaningless drivel. "Longevity of delivery is essential" - WTF?

View attachment 127277

This Cheese London bloke is starting to get on my tits now.

That is crap. On the subject of the Reliance Arcade I was there a few weeks ago. The strap in my cycling bag broke. I tried to think of anywhere in Brixton to get it fixed. Thought I would look in the Reliance Arcade. I found "Queeny" who stitched it up on the spot. Chatting to friend and she uses her for all her alterations.

Reliance arcade is one of the few places left in Brixton that has unpretentious useful shops. Bought some laces from the shoe repair guy as well on the same day.
Kokobina Clothing13260123_994599673994042_1394731331279920512_n.jpg

What the fuck does this mean?
I don't understand exactly what Savill role is. Are they estate agent for the sales of the flats?
Savills perform for Lambeth the formerly in-house function of "The Borough Valuers"
This means that Savills effectively dictate the price of Lambeth land and buildings being sold to right-to-buy applicants and commercial people like Pop Brixton. Not only that they advise on whether the council gets a fair price in dodgy deals with May Properties who demolished the Canterbury Arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom