Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

and a slow moving vehicle among faster ones is a hazard

What you mean is that a mixture of vehicles attempting to move at different speeds can be a hazard (and indeed can exacerbate congestion). It does not follow that making the slower vehicles move faster is the best or safest way to resolve this situation.

Motorways are a completely different situation to urban roads. They are irrelevant to this discussion.

What you mean is that a mixture of vehicles attempting to move at different speeds can be a hazard (and indeed can exacerbate congestion). It does not follow that making the slower vehicles move faster is the best or safest way to resolve this situation.
Depends on the circumstances but if everyone drove at a suitable speed it wouldn't be an issue. The reason learners are failed for driving too slowly is because it's considered inappropriate speed, and possibly a lack of confidence or ability.

Depends on the circumstances but if everyone drove at a suitable speed it wouldn't be an issue. The reason learners are failed for driving too slowly is because it's considered inappropriate speed, and possibly a lack of confidence or ability.

People driving at a faster than suitable speed is a much bigger problem than people driving at a lower than suitable speed. Driving tests are unable to test for people who go on to habitually drive too fast. Bring on the autonomous cars.

In my opinion learner drivers tend not to suffer so much from a lack of confidence, as a lack of overconfidence. They are the ones driving with a more realistic assessment of the danger of what they are doing.

People driving at a faster than suitable speed is a much bigger problem than people driving at a lower than suitable speed. Driving tests are unable to test for people who go on to habitually drive too fast.
Both are an issue in different ways. Appropriate is where it's at, and slow is clearly not always appropriate. The thing with autonomous cars is that the first generations are going to be dual controlled anyway, so there will be a mix of cars being driven by humans and cars driving themselves. It'll be a very long time indeed (if it happens at all) before every car on the road is autonomously controlled by law. Too many people don't see cars as simply a means of transport.

Sometimes lack of confidence is undeniably dangerous. This constant awareness that i might kill someone is definitely the main problem with my driving, causes things like stopping suddenly for no good reason which is obviously a stupid thing to do. I've been waiting 20 years for autonomous cars and do wish they'd hurry up.

Sometimes lack of confidence is undeniably dangerous.
For sure, but it's nowhere near as dangerous as overconfidence. In an urban setting in a 20mph zone, stopping suddenly is unlikely to cause anything terrible to happen. If someone goes into the back of you, they haven't been paying attention and/or are driving too close. They also would have gone into the back of you if you'd made an emergency stop for good reason.

Sometimes lack of confidence is undeniably dangerous.
Driving very slowly is often indicative of something else too. A copper I knew said that they would nearly always stop vehicles being driven extremely slowly, and often the driver was either pissed, stoned, or confused.

Driving very slowly is often indicative of something else too. A copper I knew said that they would nearly always stop vehicles being driven extremely slowly, and often the driver was either pissed, stoned, or confused.
:mad: Well ok fair enough, if they had a breathalyser to measures confusion I'd fail most times, driving or not.

You:
"Maybe it's people that are the problem, not the mode of transport they choose to use"

American gun nuts:
"Guns don't kill people - people do"
I was going to ridicule this nonsense but then I saw who had liked your post, which saved me the job :D

I was going to ridicule this nonsense but then I saw who had liked your post, which saved me the job :D
Everyone can make their own mind up whether you're trolling or just not prepared to think things through, I guess. Either way it doesn't seem like there's much point engaging with you.

I'm getting a bit lost here.

bimble like me is local resident.

Bimble is a leaner. So has to follow the speed limits for the area. Which in Lambeth is 20 mph.

The Labour party were elected in manifesto to bring this in. The Green party support it. And criticised Council for not bringing it in sooner.

This thread is partly about how this speed limit is disregarded. I live on busy road and I think drivers are variable about keeping to this speed limit.

So what are you saying? That this speed limit should be disregarded?

Everyone can make their own mind up whether you're trolling or just not prepared to think things through, I guess. Either way it doesn't seem like there's much point engaging with you.
Yes, because owning a motorcycle is exactly the same as owning a gun :rolleyes:

Watched a beautiful example of idiocy last night.

Milkwood Road traffic down to the junction at Herne Hill can get a little congested at rush hour, with a tail back of cars from Dickson's offie up to the zebra crossing by the railway station tunnel. That's probably 20m.

Last night a beemer driver who had been sat in traffic feeling that traffic laws and general commons sense didn't apply to them, pulled out, overtook the line of waiting cars and then slowly drove through three red lights at the junction; cos traffic lights didn't apply to them. They almost hit two pedestrians and a couple of people on bikes. Beemer driver even honked them for being so inconsiderate being on the road in the right place and hampering their journey.

Watched a beautiful example of idiocy last night.

Milkwood Road traffic down to the junction at Herne Hill can get a little congested at rush hour, with a tail back of cars from Dickson's offie up to the zebra crossing by the railway station tunnel. That's probably 20m.

Last night a beemer driver who had been sat in traffic feeling that traffic laws and general commons sense didn't apply to them, pulled out, overtook the line of waiting cars and then slowly drove through three red lights at the junction; cos traffic lights didn't apply to them. They almost hit two pedestrians and a couple of people on bikes. Beemer driver even honked them for being so inconsiderate being on the road in the right place and hampering their journey.
If I had extra special mind powers that worked, I would have directed his foot to accidentally jam on the accelerator and smash at speed into the nearest sturdy lamp post.

Some of the biggest fucking arseholes I've seen recently are super bike twats who have tried to roar through peaceful protests in Brixton. The utter dickhead who attempted to accelerate through the banner about air pollution that was momentarily blocking Brixton Road last week was particularly unpleasant. The fact that the protest was on a pedestrian crossing that was, at the time, showing green for walkers seemed immaterial to this Very Important Person who had no time for the concerns of locals.

Sorry, I don't see the bit where it states he was speeding. Could you point it out for me, please?
There is no bit where it states the motorcyclist was speeding and neither did I say there was.

However, given the seriousness of the accident I do consider the following to be likely:

(a) at least one of the vehicles involved (two cars and a motorcycle) was going faster than 20mph
(b) if none of those vehicles had been going faster than 20mph then the accident may not have happened in the first place
(c) had the accident happened with no vehicles going faster than 20mph the outcome would have been less serious and this young man might still have been alive today.

There is no bit where it states the motorcyclist was speeding and neither did I say there was.

However, given the seriousness of the accident I do consider the following to be likely:

(a) at least one of the vehicles involved (two cars and a motorcycle) was going faster than 20mph
(b) if none of those vehicles had been going faster than 20mph then the accident may not have happened in the first place
(c) had the accident happened with no vehicles going faster than 20mph the outcome would have been less serious and this young man might still have been alive today.
You've managed to draw all of those conclusions without knowing a single fact about the accident?
You have some serious powers of deduction there. Maybe you should hook up with squirrelp and guess the world right.

I can only give my personal experience.

Firstly, cars frequently bomb down my road. It is a small residential road, mostly only space for single traffic and with a blind bend in it.

Also, I totally stick to the 20 mph limit (often driving slower) and the amount of time I have had people driving right up my arse beeping me as I won't drive any faster.
Especially on Coldharbour Lane. Maybe as people don't realise that it actually is 20mph :hmm:

You've managed to draw all of those conclusions without knowing a single fact about the accident?
You have some serious powers of deduction there. Maybe you should hook up with squirrelp and guess the world right.
This is a real person, who has lost their life on a real road in the area where I and others who post here live. And as remarked on the main Brixton thread one poster unfortunately witnessed the aftermath of this accident. This thread is about what I think is a serious issue, and it's in the Brixton forum because I'd like it to be discussed by people who actually live here and are affected by this stuff. So go and try to wind folk up elsewhere please. Bye bye.

This is a real person, who has lost their life on a real road in the area where I and others who post here live. And as remarked on the main Brixton thread one poster unfortunately witnessed the aftermath of this accident. This thread is about what I think is a serious issue, and it's in the Brixton forum because I'd like it to be discussed by people who actually live here and are affected by this stuff. So go and try to wind folk up elsewhere please. Bye bye.
So you just want to make things up then.

Its true isnt it that there is far less chance of a fatality at a lesser speed?

Seems reasonable to conclude that in the case of a fatality, one of the parties was going faster than 20mph.

Seems reasonable to conclude that in the case of a fatality, one of the parties was going faster than 20mph.

Yes but saying speed is an aggravating cause of worse injuries and fatalities therefore this fatal accident was caused by speed is a fallacy.

Yes.
No. It's perfectly possible for someone to die in a 3 vehicle accident with everyone doing less than 20, especially if one's on a bike. This is the kind of nonsense that we've come to expect from teuchter. Sloppy. Very sloppy.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a real person. It's a real person with real relatives, yet you still feel it's OK to bandy around unfounded accusations of speeding, with no thought for this lad's relatives.
Well done you.

Back
Top Bottom