Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Are there significant changes to the design of this one?
Apparently so. They scrapped SN12,13,14 in favour of 15, which has "dozens" "hundreds" of fixes and improvements over the previous version.
Same overall shape, just detailed and built better.

Last edited:
Apparently so. They scrapped SN12,13,14 in favour of 15, which has "dozens" of fixes and improvements over the previous version.
Same overall shape, just detailed and built better.
I just clicked on the live feed for a few seconds and they were talking about nozzle optimisation.

I just clicked on the live feed for a few seconds and they were talking about nozzle optimisation.
The Raptor engine is in continuous improvement (visibly so, from photos), but I don't think the nozzle has changed at all recently.

Interesting. Will they be able to use GPS on the Moon or on Mars?
Nope. Not until those bodies have their own orbiting GPS (or rather, LunarPS and AreoPS).

Radar and radio beacons depolyed by earlier landings will be enough for early missions.

Nope. Not until those bodies have their own orbiting GPS (or rather, LunarPS and AreoPS).

Radar and radio beacons depolyed by earlier landings will be enough for early missions.
I wonder where the devices are positioned on the starship?
They have to work when it is flat and also when pointing up but coming down.

Apparently some work has been done on picking up "spillover" GPS beams as far out as the moon. Accuracies of 200-300m are achievable, which can be improved by using multiple GNSS systems (GLOSNASS, Galileo, Baidu) or putting a handful of augmentation/authentication microsats in Lunar orbit.

Last edited:
I wonder where the devices are positioned on the starship?
They have to work when it is flat and also when pointing up but coming down.
Assuming that they have already thought of this, I imagine that there are probably antennas (at least) to cover multiple orientations.

This doesn't look great - a rocket tumbling in orbit and expected to have an uncontrolled reentry. Hopefully whatever bits survive reentry will land in the sea.

Interesting tracking site linked from the article though

Could be a big SpaceX day today, with two launches potentially within hours of each other.
At 20:01 UK time, there's another Starlink Falcon 9 launch - this being the first time a booster has flown 9 times.
At some point as early as 17:00 UK time (but probably later) it looks like Starship SN15 will take its first flight. Maybe they can land it this time?

Last edited:
This doesn't look great - a rocket tumbling in orbit and expected to have an uncontrolled reentry. Hopefully whatever bits survive reentry will land in the sea.

Interesting tracking site linked from the article though

22 tons of it, keep your head up for christ sake

And I hear there are going to be a few more of these massive Chinese rockets falling back down because this one was just for the first stage of their space station.

And I hear there are going to be a few more of these massive Chinese rockets falling back down because this one was just for the first stage of their space station.

heads up people, we all at least managed to trudge through S1 of Breaking Wind (Bad)

Lovely orbit 2 pass seen in small binoculars from central London a few minutes ago. Upper stage very bright (mag +1), newly deployed stack running a fraction of a degree ahead all in a line apparently angled to the velocity vector (could make out 'structure'). Early in the pass they appear to be embedded in a diffuse cloud which might have been recently vented fuel, exhaust or sublimated ice particles. Spaced further apart in a quadrilateral encompassing all these were the rods, clearly tumbling (flashing).

Others' photos...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom