Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Starship: the grain-silo flies!!
That's actually pretty awesome but it would have been funny if it had smacked into the other one they seem to be building next to it. I would have thought they would have been better spread out.

That's actually pretty awesome but it would have been funny if it had smacked into the other one they seem to be building next to it. I would have thought they would have been better spread out.
That's an old one, hacked together by a water tower construction company. It flew just once, about a year ago. Now it's just a camera and radio antenna platform. The factory is a few miles further inland

If the ‘space lift’ theory, whereby a geostationary wrench satellite with a sufficiently long cable could lift up objects into orbit with a significantly smaller energy cost than flying them on a rocket is really feasible as it’s apparently claimed, shouldn’t we be concentrating on developing that technology first?

I mean, it goes without saying that assembling and launching a spaceship in microgravity would enable us to build a much bigger and better fucker than having to launch it from the surface.

If the ‘space lift’ theory, whereby a geostationary wrench satellite with a sufficiently long cable could lift up objects into orbit with a significantly smaller energy cost than flying them on a rocket is really feasible as it’s apparently claimed, shouldn’t we be concentrating on developing that technology first?

I mean, it goes without saying that assembling and launching a spaceship in microgravity would enable us to build a much bigger and better fucker than having to launch it from the surface.

How are you launching it from up there once it is built? I'm shit at maths but I have a gut reaction that the reason launches from earth work is because the rocket being launched is being launched from something of large mass (ie Earth) for the propelling explosion to push against. Or are you talking about lifting pieces to the moon and launching from there? Or a different way of inducing motion entirely?

Sorry if I am being a bit daft and it is an odd question to ask I am not a rocket scientist - I just am finding it difficult to get a mental image of how it would work. Both to haul pieces up and subesquently launch them would require some sort of structure in orbit of considerable mass, surely?

Last edited:
How are you launching it from up there once it is built? I'm shit at maths but I have a gut reaction that the reason launches from earth work is because the rocket being launched is being launched from something of large mass (ie Earth) for the propelling explosion to push against. Or are you talking about lifting pieces to the moon and launching from there? Or a different way of inducing motion entirely?

Sorry if I am being a bit daft and it is an odd question to ask I am not a rocket scientist - I just am finding it difficult to get a mental image of how it would work. Both to haul pieces up and subesquently launch them would require some sort of structure in orbit of considerable mass, surely?
The "space elevator" idea is that you lift rocket parts to a lower-gravity environment where it is less energy-expensive to launch from: having got the satellite into orbit, and dangled the very long cable back to earth, you are not having to expend the vast amounts of energy currently necessary to accelerate out of the Earth's gravity well.

The big problem with space elevators is that we don't (yet) have the technology to build cables strong enough. The big hopes seem to be pinned on nanotubes.

What's always puzzled me about space elevators is the idea that they can lift things up from the Earth.

Surely pulling on the cable would simply pull the satellite down out of orbit...

I have a gut reaction that the reason launches from earth work is because the rocket being launched is being launched from something of large mass (ie Earth) for the propelling explosion to push against.
They don't need anything to push against. They work because momentum is conserved, so when they expel gasses from one end the rocket goes in the opposite direction.

What's always puzzled me about space elevators is the idea that they can lift things up from the Earth.

Surely pulling on the cable would simply pull the satellite down out of orbit...
Maybe they'd be using the counterweight principle, like ordinary lifts on Earth. Weight goes up, equivalent weight (ballast) goes down on a parallel cable....

Wiki has a lengthy article on the principle for those who enjoy a long technical read...

Maybe they'd be using the counterweight principle, like ordinary lifts on Earth. Weight goes up, equivalent weight (ballast) goes down on a parallel cable....

That's brilliant.

Twice the mass pulling it down to Earth :facepalm:

:D

Something, something 22,000 mile long chain with the strength to pull up a big thing might be a tad on the heavy side...

They don't need anything to push against. They work because momentum is conserved, so when they expel gasses from one end the rocket goes in the opposite direction.

Each action has an equal and opposite reaction. So even in a near perfect vacuum of inter-stella space if you fire up a rocket it will give you propulsion. It doesn't fire against anything other than itself.

Last edited:
It still doesn't look quite real to me. It looks like some kid has made an oversized Dan Dare spaceship in their garden!
That one ruptured as soon as they tried pressuring the tanks. Shoddy rushed work.
One year later, with lots of refinement in the manufacturing and testing, Starship SN8 has been stacked. This time, it's robot-welded, pressure tested and test fired. The odds of a 15km test flight in the coming weeks are high.

Back
Top Bottom