Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Songs with dated references

Martin would be unlikely to have a RTC with a black Mariah in an XJ6 unless the two brothers happened attending some kind of classic car rally. And it’s unlikely he’d hitchhike from Clapham to Crewe anymore , off peak super saver train tickets being relatively cheap nowadays.

Tinder and Bumble mean that Sergeant Pepper is stacking shelves at Asda, the guitarist went back to being a maths teacher and the drummer is signing on. The bass player is big in Malaysia though.

Gil Scott-Heron - B Movie

It's about Reagan's election but could very easily be about Trump.

The lyrics of Don't Stay Out Late bother me when it comes to being creepy.

It's about "got me in a rage" because the girl is underage and has to go home even though he wants her to stay overnight

Friend of my parents was a semi professional left wing singer, protest songs mostly.

About 1992/3 he was doing a song calling for the release of a number of South African political prisoners. After the gig a nice old bloke came up to him, complemented him on the song and said ‘ you can drop the second verse, they let me out and I’m here…’
'I've never met a nice South African' would also have rather more dodgy connotations these days.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies contains references to X-Files, LeAnn Rimes, Bert Kaempfert, Harrison Ford, Sting, Snickers, Akira Kurosawa, Sailor Moon, and Birchmont Stadium.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies contains references to X-Files, LeAnn Rimes, Bert Kaempfert, Harrison Ford, Sting, Snickers, Akira Kurosawa, Sailor Moon, and Birchmont Stadium.
I think I saw a poll somewhere of "best terrible 90s song that references the X-Files", with that up against Bloodhound Gang.

I think roads still exist, looking it up the lyrics do also mention the space age but if anything we're in more of a space age now than we were then.
Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry
This could be a case for mulder and scully

Back
Top Bottom