Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Some questions to the "atheists/non-believers"

phildwyer said:
...The basıc ıdea of such schools ıs that appearance ıs all there ıs: there ıs no essence. A dıfferent way of puttıng the same thıng ıs to say that sıgns are all there ıs: there are no referents. In other words, the world and our lıfe ın ıt do not *mean* anythıng...
Actually 'coherentist' theories of epistemology doesn't have this as a central idea at all.

One major reason this kind of thinking has become far more prevalent over the 20th century is that it corresponds much more closely with bodies of scientific thinking and theory and especially the way science develops and changes over time.

A good "for example" is to ask what the "foundational axiom" is in physics - or other sciences. The answer is that this isn't the way things are looked at any more, and that coherent and internally consistent theories, where are large number of parts are in equilibrium or at least as close to as possible, is the preferred way of looking at things.

You are simply wrong to try and argue that this automatically claims that "signs are all there are" or that "nothing has meaning". These are actually quite separate issues.

maya said:
- wasn't it benjamin franklin or someone who re-wrote the New Testament, omitting all the so-called "miracles", leaving a pretty down-to-earth account of Jesus' teachings?

That was Thomas Jefferson. He compiled only the words directly attributed to Jesus (the words in red in a standard bible) and published them.

As an aside, I had a discussion with a Muslim the other day (an adult man) who was telling me that mohammed "sliced the moon in two with a sword, and then put it back together again".

I asked him if this was commonly interpreted as an analogy for something, and he said that it was not- and, moreover, that it was literal truth.

I think that a good case could be made for "mental insufficiency" there, don't you?

@How did religious mystics get a bitter insight into God?

phildwyer said:
They dıdn't.

If you think that, then, I'm sorry to say, I reckon you've missed, and missed badly.

A rational understanding is a starting point for understanding God, and believing in God, but, it's an infinitessimally small part of knowledge of God.

I'm slightly baffled. I kind of assumed you must have had some experience of God yourself, to bother to write at the length you do, and I reckon, intellectually you seem to have a pretty good understanding of the nature of reality. But myself, I'd never have bothered trying to convince anyone of my views if they were only formed by reading and thinking, and didn't have any personal experience to back them up.

ZWord said:
I'd never have bothered trying to convince anyone of my views if they were only formed by reading and thinking, and didn't have any personal experience to back them up.

You know what? I would say the exact opposite :)
ie. I would only post up my views if I had reading, thinking and observations to back them up, not if all I've got to go on is personal experience.

soulman said:
Subjectivity, now there's an interesting concept. Marxists don't like it much AFAIK.

Some do. Adorno presented perhaps the most coherent and ınfluentıal crıtıque of capıtalısm's effect on subjectıvıty of the twentıeth century. He argues that ıt was above all a system of *objectıfıcatıon,* dedıcated to the destructıon of the authentıc subject and ıts replacement by an artıfıcıal parody of subjectıvıty.

87k8k9-i[-l0=

Yeah, that's right you non-believer types, show some respect!

policeman.gif

:mad: :mad:

maya said:
in fact, the core beliefs of Jesus are suspiciously similar to the teachings of the Buddha...hmmm

I don't see what you find so utterly strange about this.
Seems to me you are not familiar with what aMessenger of God is called to do.

all monotheist (there is only one God) religions tend to be very scornful of the non-believers...where is the "respect" in that?

I am completely stunned. You know ALL people on this globe who believe in God and not only that, you heard them ALL be "scornful" of those who don't?
If this amazing story is true, that makes me and uncountable others aliens, since I don't know you and you clearly don't know us... So I must conclude that it only lives in your vivid fantasy.

i think the thread-starter should think about how he phrases his (very rhetorical) "questions"- the basic premise of your questions are, you don't respect that people don't believe in God, and want to know why that is- NOT because you gen uinely want to know, but because you want to tell them that they're wrong...

Correction: The thread-reader to whom I write a reply right now should think about learning to read English, fro which all the rest needed to correct your clear nonsense follows automatically.

:rolleyes: is THAT "tolerance"? no.

:rolleyes:

and BTW, i respect all religions- believe in what you want, Allah, JHVH, Brahman, Tezcoatlipotl, The Flying Spaghetti Monster-

Of course you do.. I can read it in your reply to my OP.
By the way: I comitted myself to write the commands for the religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Any suggestions? It should be as fun and witty as the Monster itself.

just don't preach to me and try to get me converted.

Why do you write this? You should addres such a comment to those who bother you with proselytizing. (Hint 1: A Christian invention and practice. Hint 2: I am Muslim) What others do can hardly be my concern.

salaam.

Actually, Alde, you *are* sounding pretty scornful in the above post.

(you) should think about learning to read English, fro which all the rest needed to correct your clear nonsense follows automatically.

kyser_soze said:
Well one reason is that it's annoying when phild continually alters his frame of reference/argument or simply ignores stuff that he can't/won't answer

I have no view on that, so I can't comment.

, and in your case that you're a PR boy for your faith

I am ? Saying that I am Muslim and Islamic scholar is in your world the same as being "PR boy" for Islam? and hence for Allah, in you language named "God"?
So in your world God needs "PR boys". Amazing.

in the same way that loads of lefties here are for theirs, especially when that faith - or those proclaiming membership and belief in that faith - does some really nasty and unpleasant things to people.

Sorry that I miss the connection between myself and people who do what you describe here. I have only one functioning braincell and it is a bit overworked right now.

I think that having guiding principles that are written by humans and acted on by humans and can be changed by humans is potentially a far better way of running society that basing it all on a test which can trace it's ancestry back about 3000 years and which is claimed (at least in parts and by some of it's adherents) to be the actual Word of God.

If I understand this correctly, you think that no matter what can go wrong inside societies - eventually affecting other societies too - can be prevented if only societies would have no individuals with a belief in God and hence no religion(s)?
Can you draw a picture of the roots of laws and ideas concerning commonly accepted views on "morality", "humans rights" etc... , all qualities you see as only being able to surface and survive in "godless" societies?

My own personal 'belief' system comes from this - that nothing is immutable and that they key to both success now and in future is how one best adapts, carried out in a framework of what one personally believes to be limits to positive human behviour (i.e. we don't go round killing each other all the time).

The outcome depends completely on how your society reacts on your "personal belief system" = on how well it is adapted to and accepted by the society you live in.

I also find that i don't actually need to interpose some God figure into reality and my universe to make sense of it or to guide me or to comfort me.

From an Islamic perspective you have an incorrect view on "God" to begin with.
I detect a certain Christian influence in the reasoning that you somehow "should" find worldly profit in a belief in God and since you don't need that, you - coming from your position legitimately - conclude you "don't need" God.

salaam.

kropotkin said:
As an aside, I had a discussion with a Muslim the other day (an adult man) who was telling me that mohammed "sliced the moon in two with a sword, and then put it back together again".

I asked him if this was commonly interpreted as an analogy for something, and he said that it was not- and, moreover, that it was literal truth.

I think that a good case could be made for "mental insufficiency" there, don't you?

No. For the simple reason that if I would start calling every ignorance I encounter "mental insufficiency" then that would keep me buzy in a way that there was no time left for anything else.
You "could" tell him that such things are not "commonly believed" but in his own world and that there is more behind such stories then he can imagine. (Christian and in this case in my idea even basic biblical influence. Read Exodus to find the obvious analogy)

salaam.

I don't see what you find so utterly strange about this.
Seems to me you are not familiar with what aMessenger of God is called to do.

Buddha wasn't a messenger for god, god is not an issue in Buddhism, it's a remarkably sensible religion. And if their core beliefs were similar, it was because they both meditated on the same questions of human existance.

Aldebaran said:
I consider the Buddha a prophet of God.

salaam.
That's not how Siddhattha Gautama thought of himself -- and it's not how Buddhists think of him either. Buddhism does not believe in a Deity.

Many readers will find it a little odd that you call someone "a prophet of God" when that person did not actually believe in God.

Fruitloop said:
Why is violence in opposition to the logos?

Wıth respect, Fruıtloop, the fact that would even ask thıs questıon suggests that you have not been payıng suffıcıent attentıon to my teachıngs. For surely the answer should be obvıous by now: because vıolence ıs *unreasonable.* Logos, remember, ıs both Reason and God.

Jonti said:
Many readers will find it a little odd that you call someone "a prophet of God" when that person did not actually believe in God.

And many others wıll fınd ıt emınently reasonable. I regard Karl Marx as a prophet of God.

Aldebaran said:
I consider the Buddha a prophet of God.

salaam.

You do, and you may wish to incorporporate him into your belief system, but that is of no consequence to Buddhists. Fact is, religions exist that do not operate on a montheistic basis, do not need a godhead and provide for their follower's spritual needs very well.

kropotkin said:
It's all in your head mate, it has nothing to do with objective reality 8)

That's what I always say, and a remarkable head it must be, to hold so much in it.
As for objective reality. I'm not even certain there is such a thing. But if there is, I've never met anyone who lived in it.

Maybe you meant consensual reality. i.e. I'm delusional. But the truth is, if my delusions had never worked their way into consensual reality, and been returned to me, to utterly amaze me, then I would never have believed most of them.

Aldebaran said:
No. For the simple reason that if I would start calling every ignorance I encounter "mental insufficiency" then that would keep me buzy in a way that there was no time left for anything else.
You "could" tell him that such things are not "commonly believed" but in his own world and that there is more behind such stories then he can imagine. (Christian and in this case in my idea even basic biblical influence. Read Exodus to find the obvious analogy)

salaam.
:D

No Aldebaran, straight-up belief in utterly obvious falsehoods that fly in the face of all available evidence is something different to ignorance.

And I wasn't referring to "every ignorance" as "mental insufficency", I was specifically discussing one particular mentalist I met a few weeks ago. You seem to be attempting to conflate his clearly insane ramblings with "ignorance"- perhaps things like a misunderstanding of quantum mechanics, or not knowing the correct whereabouts of Sunderland.

Being a gullible fool is different to being ignorant, would you not say?

Jo/Joe said:
You do, and you may wish to incorporporate him into your belief system,

Islam recognises many people as prophets and hence as messengers of Allah, chosen to bring a Message to humanity. Not all Muslims - and most certainly not all scholars either - see the Buddha as a prophet. For many aspects of Islam and related I am known as not quite following the expected, commonly accepted reasonings. I have some wildly indepedent, excentric features. :)

but that is of no consequence to Buddhists.

I didn't say that is a condition.

Fact is, religions exist that do not operate on a montheistic basis, do not need a godhead and provide for their follower's spritual needs very well.

In my view and to my knowledge Buddhism is not a religion. (ZAMB can give correct information on this subject since she is a Buddhist.)

salaam.

kropotkin said:
No Aldebaran, straight-up belief in utterly obvious falsehoods that fly in the face of all available evidence is something different to ignorance.

Can you clarify which " utterly obvious falsehoods" you refer to and which "available evidence" makes them such "utterly obvious falsehoods"?

You seem to be attempting to conflate his clearly insane ramblings with "ignorance"- perhaps things like a misunderstanding of quantum mechanics, or not knowing the correct whereabouts of Sunderland.

No, I say that I don't see anything "insane" about being misinformed. That he believes such a thing gives already proof he has not such a good education in Islam. Every Muslim knows that Muhammed did not perform "miracles". Many Muslims however will claim that Al Qur'an is Muhammed's miracle. (I don't share nor shall I support that view for a variety of reasons.)
I would maybe declare this person somewhat insane would I have the occasion to speak with him and afterwards he still wants to walk around with this belief.

By the way: I have no clue about quantum mechanics and no clue who on earth "Sunderland" might be.

Being a gullible fool is different to being ignorant, would you not say?

Not always. (see above) Furthermore it largely depends on where the information comes from, how it is told etc.. = how they get indoctrinated with it and what means they have to examine and come to an independent conclusion about it.

salaam.

Err...the "utterly obvious falsehood" to which I refer is the only thing I have spoken about so far: namely that Mohammed (or indeed any entity, fictional or real) sliced the moon in two, and then put it back together again (conspicuously failing to leave any stress fracture marks indicating this wondrous feat that could be picked up with any of our instruments).

Back
Top Bottom