Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So, I've designed some jackets.

moody

Member of The Underground.
I found a site where I can put my designs on to different items, t-shirts, jumpers, jackets etc.

They print and make the items in the uk, hand finished too.

I have knocked up a couple of designs.

I have printed one of for myself and just the otherday sold another to a friend. I have also found a shop who is keen to stock them. Should be going live with at least one of each by the end of the month, start of next.

My friends on facebook seem to like them.

What do you guys think?

jacket montage.jpg

no stopping anyone doing the same thing.

tbh, if I had more money to buy the rights to more / better images I'd be doing a lot more

*I'm thinking of doing collabs with local artists.

If you do use images from image libraries check that you are allowed to use them for commercial work as some of the cheaper images will be for non-commercial work. If you don't, that's where the trouble can lie (potential copyright infringement) moody.

This means reading the terms and conditions very carefully.

I assume these work in the same way as music libraries. Almost all are free to download and use, but if they are used commercially you have to pay up.
I'm not sure downloading other peoples images onto other peoples jackets is 'designing' as such, but it can be a bit of fun if not a commercial venture. I'm always doing my own one off T-Shirts these days (though I do use my own images).

I know the jim’ll paint it guy has huge problems with people doing t shirts and jackets of his drawings. He every so often outs them on Twitter when they are non compliant with removing their items from sale.

I found a site where I can put my designs on to different items, t-shirts, jumpers, jackets etc.

I have printed one of for myself and just the otherday sold another to a friend. I have also found a shop who is keen to stock them. Should be going live with at least one of each by the end of the month, start of next.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 234278

Pretty snazzy, I like them but they’re too dandy/flamboyant for me to pull off.

You haven't designed any jackets, you've taken other people's work and put them onto jackets on a site where you can put pictures on jackets.

It's exactly the same as me going to one of those sites with a Picasso screenshot and asking them to print it on a jacket. Or like one of those shops where you could get a photo printed on a t-shirt or hoodie.

The weird thing about it is you posting a thread about and acting as if it's more artistic than the above.

If the images / art used were over 150 years old you could get away with it and not be infringing copyright.
But ... what you're using is not over 150yrs old.

So I design stuff with my own art...just for myself and I make gifts for family and friends. Occasionally someone in Australia or the UK might actually buy one of my designs. I made €25 one year after expensessnd production costs were deducted. Just mugs, t -shirts, coasters, cards .. all on Redbubble....

But if I wanted I could use art like this..images.jpeg

Because its nearly 200 years old.

Or I could use header-19.jpg

But using art by someone who is still alive or less that 150 yrs old is considered a copyright breach unless they've given permission for it to be shared or used in any way. Someone's art is theirs and just because they share it online doesn't mean its free automatically.

Having said that...I'd be proper chuffed if someone used art of mine on a jacket. 😁

If the images / art used were over 150 years old you could get away with it and not be infringing copyright.
But ... what you're using is not over 150yrs old.

So I design stuff with my own art...just for myself and I make gifts for family and friends. Occasionally someone in Australia or the UK might actually buy one of my designs. I made €25 one year after expensessnd production costs were deducted. Just mugs, t -shirts, coasters, cards .. all on Redbubble....

But if I wanted I could use art like this..View attachment 234851

Because its nearly 200 years old.

Or I could use View attachment 234852

But using art by someone who is still alive or less that 150 yrs old is considered a copyright breach unless they've given permission for it to be shared or used in any way. Someone's art is theirs and just because they share it online doesn't mean its free automatically.

Having said that...I'd be proper chuffed if someone used art of mine on a jacket. 😁

It's not designing a jacket though, is it. It's printing stuff on a jacket. All the photos he used were under a creative commons license. It's all legal, but it's not something I'd ever think of boasting about.

It's not designing a jacket though, is it. It's printing stuff on a jacket. All the photos he used were under a creative commons license. It's all legal, but it's not something I'd ever think of boasting about.

The jacket is pre-designed. Its just a "canvas" for someone to put images on.
In this case...sorry moody....but you have made a placement of images on a pre-designed surface that happens to be a jacket.

When ever I see this thread it irritates :

First your thread title: So, I've designed some jackets.

No you haven't, the people who designed the jackets designed the jackets, they decided what the sleeves would be like, which stitching they would use on the seams, the materials, the collar and cuffs etc etc etc .. you didn't have any hand in designing these jackets!

Then in the OP you state: I found a site where I can put my designs on to different items, t-shirts, jumpers, jackets etc.

Except that you are putting other people's designs on to these items. There is nothing in the artworks that you are using that you created yourself!

I think you just don't have an idea what IP means. IP means intellectual property and it belongs to the originator of a work, you falsely claimed that you designed some jackets, you didn't, then you claimed that you put your designs on the same, you didn't, they weren't your designs.

I suspect, as mentioned above in the thread, the licence pertaining to the designs will be non commercial which means you are being a copyright thief, nothing more nothing less.

Infuriating, isn't it. My mate who runs a not-for-profit DIY punk record label and is in a band has had some success with a rude t-shirt about Boris Johnson, which has earned him a (very) few quid over this period where he's not been able to gig. Today, it's plastered all over those crappy ads on facebook - someone's ripped it off, and he's heartbroken. And there's nothing he can do about it without spending £££.

Think about the impact you're having on the people you're cheating, and how they'll feel if they see their work on your cheap jackets.

Infuriating, isn't it. My mate who runs a not-for-profit DIY punk record label and is in a band has had some success with a rude t-shirt about Boris Johnson, which has earned him a (very) few quid over this period where he's not been able to gig. Today, it's plastered all over those crappy ads on facebook - someone's ripped it off, and he's heartbroken. And there's nothing he can do about it without spending £££.

Think about the impact you're having on the people you're cheating, and how they'll feel if they see their work on your cheap jackets.
an artist friend had a similar problem finding her designs for sale on one of those sites that print images onto cushions and mugs etc - I guess they probably got there via a similar method to Moody's jacket designs tbh. It took her months of complaining before they took them down too.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 234278

If you're going to do this why not do it properly and get the necessary permisions to use the imagery?

Back
Top Bottom