Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Smart home essentials

How's your smart home going?

• I have a fully smart home, whatever the fuck that means.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I know what smart homes are and don't want or have one.

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • I would love a smart home and will make mine less thick when I can afford it

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • What?

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • HAL1000 is coercing me. Don't trust my answers. Shhh.

• Like dessiato, I have a partially smart home.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I am cross that, whilst Mation meant to make this poll public, they failedosetably

• Fuck sake.

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters
I think fundamentally most of these devices just aren't really needed - they don't provide a level of extra functionality that really justifies their cost or use of resources or ultimately the processing necessary to dispose of them when defunct.

There are some exceptions - so smart meters are a genuinely good thing, and having our most energy intensive appliances hooked up to them (EV charger, dishwasher, washing machine etc) could mean we run those when there is surplus energy in the grid and save money (obviously we're not quite there yet). I think all the pretty frivolous smart devices have perhaps overshadowed the positive uses of smart tech.

I finally got a smart tv, which is actually pretty good. Went online, went to Curzon Online, paid for a film (which took forever). When I finally tried to play it it said my browser was out of date. I only got the tv in October. Useless.

I've only grazed the thread, but my home is half smart because my o/h loves all that shit. Personally I hate it.

I don't care at all about things' actuall smartness, connectivity to google, my shopping list etc, but I HATE talking out loud. I want technology to reduce the amount I have to talk, not the other way around.
If I could have tech which eradicated the need for me ever to utter a word I would grasp it eagerly with both hands.

So NO WAY I'm going to say ok google turn lights to red/on/off/60%/whatever. I'm just not. I'd rather fiddle for 5 minues with my phone to get the FUCKING lights on where before it was just an easy switch on the wall.
This has led to a certain amout of frustration and we now compromise - if you turn the switch on and off the light reverts to manual operation, thank fuck.

absolutely no interest in smart home stuff, other than the fairly large number of dumb smart sockets we have in most rooms... non-internet enabled RF controlled sockets which control all our lights on a number of different channels, channel 1 is 'big light' mode, channel 2 is the nice and mellow everyday state and channel 3 is the doing drugs and listening to Brian Eno state.

I don't care at all about things' actuall smartness, connectivity to google, my shopping list etc, but I HATE talking out loud. I want technology to reduce the amount I have to talk, not the other way around.
Yes this is part of it for me too (I'm not fully nonverbal or anything but definitely an autism thing in my case). Just imagining having to speak to turn on a light is excruciating.

Yes this is part of it for me too (I'm not fully nonverbal or anything but definitely an autism thing in my case). Just imagining having to speak to turn on a light is excruciating.
Might be an autism thing in my case too; hadn't occured to me the two might be related. I just hate the sound of my own voice and often don't want to speak.

(Fine after a couple of beers, but I'm not going to get drunk just to turn the lights on.)

When I bought my house the wiring was a mess and, in some cases, dangerous!

The most serious issues were:
no earthing anywhere,
'lighting' grade wiring to all the kitchen sockets, and
bare wires in the front garden and in the loft.

The secondary issues were:
that there was only one light switch in the hall by the front door even though there are five doors along the length of the hall,
there was only one light switch in the kitchen even though there are three entrances to the kitchen
all the existing light switches were behind the doors when they were opened, and
there was lots of redundant wiring throughout the house and in the garden.

The lights in the front garden were also operated from an old immersion heater switch outside the bathroom :confused: (that took us a while to work out! :D)

As a result of all the problems I could have had the house rewired traditionally and had the walls of the kitchen and hall channelled out to put in extra switches. However that would have resulted in a lot of additional work to redecorate afterwards. Instead I chose the smart home route. It was slightly more expensive but saved on all the hacking about and redecorating.

I had an electrician do most of it for me. Initially, he traced all the problems and disconnected the dangerous and redundant wiring. He removed some of it and left me to do the rest - I was finding old wiring buried the front garden for months!

The creation of the smart home as been done in stages - the Loxone system is modular so you can add to it over time.

First he installed the server in a cabinet in the loft. Luckily all the original wiring inside the house was in conduits hidden behind the walls and, as it's a bungalow, much of the rest is accessible from the loft. The existing wiring from the lights was connected to the server. New 24v wiring was run from the server and pulled through the existing conduits down to the switches. Most of the light switches were swapped out for single, double or triple retractive ones. The back boxes are the same size as the originals so didn't require any further changes. Effectively the 'switches' are now in the server with the wall switches acting as 'senders' to provide information to the server so it knows what to do when they are pressed (to provide multiple functions via one button).

After that, he added the motion, light, heat and smoke sensors in the hall and kitchen and connected them to the server. Again, being a bungalow, that was relatively straightforward to attach them to the ceilings and run the cabling in the loft.

The server was then hardwired to my wi-fi router and he programmed it from there and then showed me how to modify all the settings and add new functionality.

The second stage was a minor one. The electrician ran traditional wiring into the back garden to the shed and to provide various waterproof sockets so I could use the lawnmower, leaf blower etc. without running long cables back to the house. It also meant I could have power to the BBQ area. Having power by the BBQ area has meant I can use the Sonos speakers there too. I added a water feature and low-voltage lighting and the electrician installed another wirelessly controlled socket system to control them via the server. Because of the size of the garden he had to install a booster transmitter/receiver in the loft.

The third stage was adding the heating into the system. Initially, he just connected the old boiler to the server so it could control the timing of the heating and basically replace the existing timer on the boiler. But when I had the boiler replaced we did it properly. We added the wireless room sensors which just needed to be screwed to a wall in each room. They are discreet little boxes about 4 or 5 cm square and possibly 1 cm deep. All the thermostatically controlled valves (TRVs) on the radiators were replaced with wireless actuators. This was simply a case of unscrewing the TRVs and screwing on the wireless actuators.

The server was then reprogrammed to recognise the room sensors and the wireless actuators and to add a heating schedule. Just to add, the heating has so many permutations. Each room has three levels of heating (as well as 'off'). You can set up multiple schedules as far as timing is concerned so I have a basic weekly schedule with the heating coming on in different rooms at different times on different days but also schedules for when I have guests or when I'm away.

The final stage was to add the extractors in the bathroom and kitchen. The vents were cut into the ceilings with the actual fans installed in the loft space (it's much quieter than having them just above the vents). The sensors were already in place from when the heating was done so it was just a case of updating the programming of the server to add the extra functionality.

I think that's more or less it.

It does have some odd little functions too. For instance, if I'm away I can get it to switch lights on or off following a similar pattern to the way they would be switched had I been there. I've never tried it but I suspect this would mean the lights would come on in the loo at random intervals roughly matching my normal visits. :D

I still promise an update but my system is not a million miles off but I use Home Assistant on a RaspberryPI and everything I have installed is 100% retrofit either modules in the ceiling rose or behind the light switches. Except the locks and the blinds/curtains everything I have would be renter freindly. Everything I had in my previous place I took out in about an afternoon before putting the place on the market.

Alexa units in all rooms, so music playback and radio everywhere, pretty much all lights controllable (variable temperature white plus full colour), as well as living room heating - bedroom heating to be upgraded as soon as funds allow.

It’s great :)

I finally got a smart tv, which is actually pretty good. Went online, went to Curzon Online, paid for a film (which took forever). When I finally tried to play it it said my browser was out of date. I only got the tv in October. Useless.

Stuff like this is one of the many reasons that smart TVs are a fucking stupid idea. It's much better to get a dumb TV or a large display, and then use peripherals to provide any "smart" functions. That way if they break or stop working, you can just update or replace the peripheral, which will likely be cheaper than replacing the TV.

Apart from a doorbell camera connected to the phone (handy to tell delivery people where to stash delivery if we're out, for example) we don't have any other smart devices (apart from TV). Smart thermostat I like though. So maybe that one day.

I also don't like speaking to a speaker for some reason, I prefer typing... 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ And when I think of all the tech that can go wrong and all the time I could potentially waste trying to get it working when it does go wrong, I'm like, fuck it, everything works well now, let's just leave it as it is.

Last edited:
It's much better to get a dumb TV
Not sure those exist. But then there's nothing stopping you using a Chromecast/Roku/Fire on a "smart" TV.

I use the built in apps for now, because they've got their own button on the remote. At some point in the next 10 years, LG will cease to update them properly and I'll use the CCTV instead. I already have the CCTV to run Kodi and watch all the stuff on the NAS. Technically the telly can do this too, but it's an outright abominable interface, won't remember what episodes you've watched in a series, and only plays the first sub and audio tracks.

Is your Smart TV set up to automatically download updates? If not, you might have to go into the settings and prompt it to check for updates. Hopefully, the updates will include an update to the Smart TV's browser software.

Alternatively, your Smart TV might have an App for Curzon. I'm fairly sure my Samsung does, although I haven't downloaded it.

Not sure those exist.

From what I understand they still do, they're just not as easy to find as they used to be. Like I said, you can also use a display monitor instead. At least that's what I would be looking into if I was in the market for TV-like device.

But then there's nothing stopping you using a Chromecast/Roku/Fire on a "smart" TV.

I really do not see the point in buying a device with features that will quickly become non-functional. That kind of planned obsolescence is good for nothing except fattening executives and generating even more e-waste. Personally I think it would be worth taking the time and possible expense to research and source a dumb TV or display unit with features that one will keep using for the entire functional life of the device.

Is your Smart TV set up to automatically download updates? If not, you might have to go into the settings and prompt it to check for updates. Hopefully, the updates will include an update to the Smart TV's browser software.

It's fucking crazy to me that this kind of shit has become normalised for devices beyond desktop machines. Whatever the fuck next? You have to download updates for your sodding toaster?

You can make Alexa also control your lights in addition to answering your questions..

Not sure how "smart" that is though :)

This is what I do. There's an echo in each room (except the bathroom). I have Philips Hue lights in the bedroom which can adjust the brightness or colour. I can also use Alexa to turn the TV on and off. I'm not a big fan of barking orders at Alexa though. I'd rather use a tangible controller. For that reason I also have the lights linked up with Apple Homekit so I can dim them and switch them on and off on my phone. I also use the echo devices for listening to spotify and the radio, and I have the Amazon Firestick connected to them as a stereo pair so I can listen to good quality audio from the TV.

I pretty much draw the line here though. I haven't yet invested in any kind of smart thermostat or anything. I don't really see the point when using a manual one is hardly an effort.

Also I'm still not down with robot vacuums. I like to take control of where I vacuum and lift stuff and get into nooks and crannies. Also they're ugly and take up valuable floor space, wheras my upright cordless is slim and neatly folds down and can be packed away out of sight.

I really do not see the point in buying a device with features that will quickly become non-functional.
It's not really an option at the high end. Quite a few people are using LG's smaller OLED screens as monitors, rather than it working the other way as you suggest.

It's not really an option at the high end. Quite a few people are using LG's smaller OLED screens as monitors, rather than it working the other way as you suggest.

What the fuck?! Why? A monitor for a desktop machine has even less need for all that pointless "sMaRt" bullshit.

Can I put a word in for robot lawnmowers? Ours is still going strong after five years, and it’s nice watching him bumble about his duties from the comfort of the deck.

Fundamentally dumb technology, though: stochastic route within a boundary set by buried wires.

If Mation doesn't mind the hijack, can I ask you people about Hive?

Situation is. I have all electric for heating and hot water.

There is a Haustman timer controlling when power is supplied to the water tank and panel heaters. Each heater has it's own on / off switch and a temp control.

I want to replace the Haustman with something I can use. (It has shitty old rubber buttons, so even if I could see it, they don't reliabily work.) I'm fed up with the heating not being on when I want it. Working from home and typing is actually quite difficult some mornings with cold hands. I'm sitting there wearing a fleece and whooly hat. I could ask a sighted friend to change the timer but is not ideal, obv I want control dam it... (I believe the Hive app is accessible.)

TL;DR

I'm quite techie but this shit confuses me. Google Hive and er, what is all this. How do I know which Hive or similar to get?
How do I know it's compatible?
What am I supposed to be looking at / for?

There are loads of models, varying in price greatly. Something with physical controls as well as app connectivity would be preferred.

I had a bad experience going the Google route.

Two google nest minis, and a nest outdoor mini camera. All routinely failed to connect to the wifi despite being less than 5 meters from the router. This meant automated radio alarms not switching on, missed events recorded to the camera. Not to mention having to shout 'Hey Google' all the time which I loathed. I sacked them all off and went with Amazon and echo has been way more reliable.

Alternatively, your Smart TV might have an App for Curzon. I'm fairly sure my Samsung does, although I haven't downloaded it.

My TV told me a couple of months ago that the netflix app on it would stop working. And it did stop.

We can get netflix by casting from a phone but it's a pain

Yeah my ancient LG 'smart' TV is no good for anything now. It has netflix but is slow AF to operate along with any other of its apps, so everything is done through an external fire stick.

If Mation doesn't mind the hijack, can I ask you people about Hive?

Situation is. I have all electric for heating and hot water.

There is a Haustman timer controlling when power is supplied to the water tank and panel heaters. Each heater has it's own on / off switch and a temp control.

I want to replace the Haustman with something I can use. (It has shitty old rubber buttons, so even if I could see it, they don't reliabily work.) I'm fed up with the heating not being on when I want it. Working from home and typing is actually quite difficult some mornings with cold hands. I'm sitting there wearing a fleece and whooly hat. I could ask a sighted friend to change the timer but is not ideal, obv I want control dam it... (I believe the Hive app is accessible.)

TL;DR

I'm quite techie but this shit confuses me. Google Hive and er, what is all this. How do I know which Hive or similar to get?
How do I know it's compatible?
What am I supposed to be looking at / for?

There are loads of models, varying in price greatly. Something with physical controls as well as app connectivity would be preferred.
I have Hive (which is supplied by British Gas), essentially there are 3 boxes, Box A is wired in between the boiler and its main power switch, it basically acts as a remote on/off switch turning the boiler on and off on commands from Boxes B & C, it has a manual override button on it for when the technology fails.
Box B is the only one that's visible and is in the hallway, it's a rather stylish looking thing with a shiny front and a dial, it serves as the thermostat and the schedule controller, it has a somewhat clunky menu that you can use to set desired temperature and on/off windows plus a couple more override buttons.
Box C (in Chz Q it is hidden behind the TV) and plugged into the main router by an ethernet cable. This connects to the internet so that I can remotely connect to Hive via the App on my phone which offers me a number of clever functions.
First is I can program schedules on Box B using the super slick interface on the App, you can check the status of your Hive from your phone and it has a rather clever system where it tracks where my mobile is and turns the heating on/off depending on how far from home I am though I've never used this. And of course it works from anywhere in the world.
Alexa has a Hive skill so it is logged into my Hive account and we can control the CH just by ordering Alexa to do it. (Being married to the world's neshest woman this is very definitely a double edged sword)

I'm running Home Assistant on a tiny PC. Together with my router, wifi hub, and various other bits, it all sits in a tiny mini-rack which is a repurposed letter rack.

Home Assistant is great - it doesn't rely on proprietary shit, interoperates with most stuff (including Zigbee things), and works flawlessly.

I went HA because I was getting seriously cheesed off with the way the Hue hub made it so difficult to pair with non-Philips gear (I use a lot of IKEA Zigbee bulbs), but it's a revelation. I've now got the HA client installed on my PC, which means I can do things like activate a "go to bed" scene, and have it hibernate my PC as well as turning off all the lights. I'm using Sonoff switches and sensors, so I have temperature monitors in most of the rooms, and little switches for people who aren't me and don't have the HA app on their phone to control everything.

I can report that it is a complete fucking nightmare for anyone who isn't me, who finds themselves wondering how the hell to turn on the living room lights...and I haven't integrated HA with Google Home yet, so the obvious answer of shouting "OK, Google, turn on the living room lights" into the void doesn't usually work. Gonna have to fix that soon.

Back
Top Bottom