Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Smart home essentials

How's your smart home going?

• I have a fully smart home, whatever the fuck that means.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I know what smart homes are and don't want or have one.

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • I would love a smart home and will make mine less thick when I can afford it

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • What?

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • HAL1000 is coercing me. Don't trust my answers. Shhh.

• Like dessiato, I have a partially smart home.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I am cross that, whilst Mation meant to make this poll public, they failedosetably

• Fuck sake.

Votes: 18 26.1%

• Total voters
I had written a long reply but my browser crashed.... Basically I have a home where lots of things are smart, lights, heating, blinds locks. I even have a number of automations set up. Will post more details if people are intreasted.

I like my Alexas, find them very useful.
How many do you have/does one need?

Are they all equally, independently capable? If so, what is point? Are there add-on ones that are essentially just connected microphone? If not, why not?

I had written a long reply but my browser crashed.... Basically I have a home where lots of things are smart, lights, heating, blinds locks. I even have a number of automations set up. Will post more details if people are intreasted.
I are!

I've got smart lights because there are just so many reasons why I might need to turn the lights on in an empty room.

I've got an Alexa because that delightful Bezos fellow seems like exactly the sort of person I want to know everything that happens in my house so that he can more easily sell me stuff.

I've got a wifi-enabled fridge because I've got literal, actual shit for fucking brains.

I've also created a chat GPT bot to come up with sarcastic remarks about technological doodads which provide absudly trivial beneifts at the low low price of shitloads of cash and the inevitable atrophy of basic executive function.

I've also given this bot a cutesy name to make it seem less like the affront to human dignity it actually is.

I've got smart lights because there are just so many reasons why I might need to turn the lights on in an empty room.

I've got an Alexa because that delightful Bezos fellow seems like exactly the sort of person I want to know everything that happens in my house so that he can more easily sell me stuff.

I've got a wifi-enabled fridge because I've got literal, actual shit for fucking brains.
:hmm:

Would anyone like some popcorn? I've set your microwave for 2 mins 👍🏾

I've never really thought about making my home 'smart', by and large I can't see an advantage for me, it just seems like having more stuff to go wrong at some point, or the fuckers will stop supporting them after just a few years. .

I've got Alexa, only really brought the thing as an easy way of listening to Radio Caroline, as they are not on DAB around here, and it was cheaper than buying an internet radio. Trouble is I moved before Christmas, and I haven't be able to set it up for the new wi-fi, before I did it via their website, but that now just displays a QR code to download the app to your phone. Trouble with that, my phone is not as smart as it was, by all accounts it's too old, so the app will not work on it, even if I could download it, which it'll not let me do, because it will not work.

So, I downloaded the app onto my laptop, waste of time, because to set-up the new wi-fi it directs you to use the mobile app. Searching the help forums yesterday, the advice was to get a new phone or tablet, the bastards. :mad:

I'll wait until my brother next visits, download the app on his phone, set-up the wi-fi, then delete the app from his phone, but what a bloody fluff.

The next frustration yesterday was the 'video to digital' convertor. Mother had the old family cine films put on video, but smart TVs don't have a scart connection, and other family members no longer have video recorders anyway. I brought this convertor years ago, and transferred them onto mother's freesat box, so she could watch them, but there's no way to transfer them off that to a hard-drive, and both my nieces want copies. So, yesterday I went to convert them again, together with a tape containing various TV interviews of me on the subject of legalisation of cannabis, to share them and back them up in case my external hard-drive packs up, then send the video recorder off to the charity shop.

Nope, can't do it, they stopped supporting the device with windows 7, so it's now a useless piece of tat, and I had to order a new one, which pissed me off. :mad:

It's for reasons like these two examples, that I am happy to resist having 'smart' things as much as possible.

Last edited:
I did have a Google smart speaker but found it completely pointless and really very dumb so it became a paperweight. But my Google nest thermostat is great - saves money by turning heating off when we're not in, and being able to control the heating remotely is very useful at times. No plans for anything else though, none of the available devices seem that useful. And the lack of compatibility between stuff is a pain.

I have a Loxone server in the loft which is the primary part of my smart home. There are sensors in each of the rooms which monitor the temperature and humidity. If they were wired up rather than wireless, they would also be able to monitor air quality too. There are also motion and light sensors in the hall and kitchen. All the control decisions take place within the server so it isn't reliant on some external provider (via the internet) to work. I can access the server via a PC, tablet or phone.

The server controls the heating by reference to a schedule I've set up and taking account of the weather forecast and fuzzy logic to ensure the rooms are at the desired temperature when I want them to be. I can override it all remotely.

I can control the lighting via the light switches but also from the PC, tablet or phone. With the motion and light sensors, the server can also switch on the lights in the hall and kitchen if it senses someone in them and it's dark. It also switches them off when there's no one in there.

The humidity sensors will also trigger the extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom as necessary. Again, these can be controlled remotely. The extractor in the bathroom also comes on for a set time if the pull cord is used to switch on the light. In the kitchen, it's slightly different. As all the light switches are connected to the server it's possible to assign more than one function to a switch. They are retractive switches so one short press switches the lights on but a long press will switch the kitchen extractor fan on instead. The light switches in the lounge and dining room are set up to provide 'moods' depending on how many times they are pressed.

The fire and smoke alarms are connected to the server too so, I can receive remote notifications of problems if I can't hear the alarms themselves. I can also configure it to switch all the lights on (or flashing) as a further alert function.

The motion sensors also act a burglar alarm - if I'm not there and they are activated, it sends an alert to my phone. I can then get all the lights (both inside and out) to flash. They neighbours know that if all the outside lights are flashing, there's a problem!

The Loxone system can be expanded to deal loads of other things like curtains, roller blinds, window and door locks but I haven't bothered with that. It can also handle energy management stuff like solar panels and battery storage but as I haven't got those, I haven't bothered looking into it.

I also have Sonos speakers throughout the house which I can control from my phone or PC etc.

Then we move onto the less useful stuff. I have an Amazon Spot in the kitchen which I really only use as a shopping list and to tell me the weather when I get up and make my first coffee. I should be able to talk to my Sonos system via Alexa but something got updated remotely so now that doesn't seem to work.

The useless stuff is the Blink CCTV. Don't be taken in my the sales pitch. The cameras won't work over any distance and it's very fussy about the batteries it uses. Even then, they run down far too quickly. I gave the Blink system a poor review on Amazon and the sales team threw freebies at me to try to get me to change my review. It didn't work. Alexa is supposed to be able to activate the cameras but I haven't tried it recently.

ETA: None of my kitchen appliances are smart.

I'd say the USP of Hive and other systems is that if you're a singleton, you can have it know your commute and be able to pop the heating on when it knows you're on your way home. And automatically know not to keep the place warm if you go on hols and forget to turn it off.

It's of less use in a 2 adults + kid household, because you can reliably predict when people are and aren't home and just set a normal thermostat timer.

As for hacking, it's been done. Unpatched IoT devices send out millions of spam emails every month. Worst case you end up getting your SMTP cut off by your ISP.

I bought some smart bulbs for the sitting room, but the smart part very rarely gets used. The dimming is occasionally useful, the colour changes never. Put me off getting anything else like that, aside from the robot hoover. Which I don't like due to how it talks to China with a map of our house, but I didn't buy that one.
I think I'd find Hive useful. Like you and Elpenor say, to use it when leaving work so that it's warm when you get home.

Conversely, I have a weekly French evening class but my heating is programed to come on as if I'm coming straight home from work, so if I had Hive (or a non-smart but more sophisticated programable control), I could make the heating come on later. And Hive would come in handy for when I spontaneously decide to do something after work, go to the cinema or for a bite to eat or go out or whatever.

But I've got too many other priorities at the moment for things I need to do, ie prioritise spending on, in my flat.

I'd like a robot vacuum though. Although I hadn't thought about that particular downside. But then again, why would it matter if a Chinese company had a sort of map of my flat's interior? It's not like China's going to invade the UK anytime soon, so I'm not sure why I should be concerned about that?

Last edited:
If you work regular hours a normal central heating controller can do that, some even have a holiday mode as well.
That's all very well if you know in advance that you're coming home later, like when I have my weekly French evening class.

My current central heating control has a 24 hour programme but I think you can get cleverer, albeit still dumb, controls that let you have different times for different days of the week. Or holiday mode.

But if I spontaneously decide to go to the cinema after work or for a bite to eat on the way home, then a cleverer dumb control won't be helpful in that scenario.

And as a single person with no children at home, who is also neurodivergent with executive dysfunction (poor planning) and also poor impulse control, I probably get waylaid on the way home from work once or twice a week.

Not much smart here. Bar mobile. TVs are technically 'smart' as in can connect to WiFi/streaming apps but I think you mean other smart functions. A couple of Bluetooth speakers but again I feel that's not strictly smrt

I am resisting smart meter from the energy suppliers because I just feel like it's a scam. They want usage data to make more profit... Which tbh they should probably have anyway but I don't like it. And I'm pretty sure they have lied to try and get me to install one.

Obvs I can look up what Hive is, but for sake of thread viewers like me, who don't want to until we know more about it, what is Hive and what does it do for your central heating?
Where I live had a hive when I moved in.
I don't use it. I like to turn the heating on when I'm cold and off when I'm comfortable.
So it can be cold when I come back from somewhere but not as cold as outdoors. So hey ho

...I am resisting smart meter from the energy suppliers because I just feel like it's a scam. They want usage data to make more profit... Which tbh they should probably have anyway but I don't like it. And I'm pretty sure they have lied to try and get me to install one.
I don't want a smart energy meter for similar reasons, ie their unscrupulous business practices, by which I mean lying to customers in order to persuade them to have them installed. And all the stories in the news about faulty meters, people having a smart meter installed and then they get a bill for £17,395.32 or £57,286.34 or whatever. Or alternatively, they don't get a massive, obviously wrong, bill like that, but their used-to-be £90 a month electric bill suddenly inexplicably jumps up to £160 a month after having a smart meter installed.

I don't want to get Alexa or Siri or anything that listens to me at home, the idea of that it creepy to me, not to mention a massive intrusion of privacy and I don't like the idea of Amazon being able to collect so much personal data.

Chez Q is a very smart home, possibly smarter than the people that live in it.
We have 4 Amazon Echo devices (we had 5 at one point but the fifth was taken to Uni by Youngest and demoted to alarm clock) we have 2 smart bulbs, 7 smart plugs in use all year round plus 3 more than only get used at Xmas, Hive central heating, a Ring doorbell and 2 Internet enabled cameras (1 outside and 1 inside).
I suspect this is where the Machine Rebellion will begin, I will be it's first casualty and I have unwittingly doomed mankind to extinction

Apart from an iPhone, I actively rail against all this "smart" tech shit. I can see some of it can be useful (e.g. remotely operated doorbells/cameras) but most of it's just nonsense toys for tech geeks. I also don't like things happening that I don't control, so food ordering fridges and the like can fuck right off. I'll decide what food I buy and when, thanks.

Smart phone that I don't really use for anything "smart" besides internet browsing because that's the only way I have to get online atm. Old fashioned clicky dial plug timer for the bedroom lamp. That's it. Actually the washing machine has a button with the bluetooth symbol on, but it's not my machine and it's also halfway across the campsite out of range of my phone when I'm home, or any wifi.

I can see how some things might be useful for people with disabilities etc but the thought of wanting or needing anything like that in my own life is totally baffling tbh.

And the lack of compatibility between stuff is a pain.
What compatibility between stuff would be useful?

I don't want to get Alexa or Siri or anything that listens to me at home, the idea of that it creepy to me, not to mention a massive intrusion of privacy and I don't like the idea of Amazon being able to collect so much personal data.
That's been my feeling, too. However, what Crispy said makes sense:
For the record, the world's privacy paranoid supergeeks would let us know in a second if the smart speakers and phones were actively listening to us all the time. It would be impossible to hide from a simple network sniffer. They're not doing that though, because all the other data they have on us is more than enough to make seemingly spooky inferences without having to spend loads of extra bandwidth and processing on live speech decoding.
What I mean is that they already have your phone and computer usage. That's enough. The smart speakers don't need to do anything. In fact, they haven't found a way of making them proftitable.

Apart from an iPhone, I actively rail against all this "smart" tech shit. I can see some of it can be useful (e.g. remotely operated doorbells/cameras) but most of it's just nonsense toys for tech geeks. I also don't like things happening that I don't control, so food ordering fridges and the like can fuck right off. I'll decide what food I buy and when, thanks.
I don't want a smart fridge, either, but I'm guessing one would have veto over it, no? :D

I have a Loxone server in the loft which is the primary part of my smart home. There are sensors in each of the rooms which monitor the temperature and humidity. If they were wired up rather than wireless, they would also be able to monitor air quality too. There are also motion and light sensors in the hall and kitchen. All the control decisions take place within the server so it isn't reliant on some external provider (via the internet) to work. I can access the server via a PC, tablet or phone.

The server controls the heating by reference to a schedule I've set up and taking account of the weather forecast and fuzzy logic to ensure the rooms are at the desired temperature when I want them to be. I can override it all remotely.

I can control the lighting via the light switches but also from the PC, tablet or phone. With the motion and light sensors, the server can also switch on the lights in the hall and kitchen if it senses someone in them and it's dark. It also switches them off when there's no one in there.

The humidity sensors will also trigger the extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom as necessary. Again, these can be controlled remotely. The extractor in the bathroom also comes on for a set time if the pull cord is used to switch on the light. In the kitchen, it's slightly different. As all the light switches are connected to the server it's possible to assign more than one function to a switch. They are retractive switches so one short press switches the lights on but a long press will switch the kitchen extractor fan on instead. The light switches in the lounge and dining room are set up to provide 'moods' depending on how many times they are pressed.

The fire and smoke alarms are connected to the server too so, I can receive remote notifications of problems if I can't hear the alarms themselves. I can also configure it to switch all the lights on (or flashing) as a further alert function.

The motion sensors also act a burglar alarm - if I'm not there and they are activated, it sends an alert to my phone. I can then get all the lights (both inside and out) to flash. They neighbours know that if all the outside lights are flashing, there's a problem!

The Loxone system can be expanded to deal loads of other things like curtains, roller blinds, window and door locks but I haven't bothered with that. It can also handle energy management stuff like solar panels and battery storage but as I haven't got those, I haven't bothered looking into it.

I also have Sonos speakers throughout the house which I can control from my phone or PC etc.

Then we move onto the less useful stuff. I have an Amazon Spot in the kitchen which I really only use as a shopping list and to tell me the weather when I get up and make my first coffee. I should be able to talk to my Sonos system via Alexa but something got updated remotely so now that doesn't seem to work.

The useless stuff is the Blink CCTV. Don't be taken in my the sales pitch. The cameras won't work over any distance and it's very fussy about the batteries it uses. Even then, they run down far too quickly. I gave the Blink system a poor review on Amazon and the sales team threw freebies at me to try to get me to change my review. It didn't work. Alexa is supposed to be able to activate the cameras but I haven't tried it recently.

ETA: None of my kitchen appliances are smart.
Wow! Thank you :)

What installing did you have to do, to get that all working, as in wall switches and rewiring and stuff <becomes increasingly vague>?

Nope, can't do it, they stopped supporting the device with windows 7, so it's now a useless piece of tat
Have a very good, deep look around. That's the sort of thing that often gets community support in later years. I had a negative scanner that theoretically ended support with WinXP, but there's a community driver and I could still use it if I hadn't already scanned all my negs and ditched it.

Have a very good, deep look around. That's the sort of thing that often gets community support in later years. I had a negative scanner that theoretically ended support with WinXP, but there's a community driver and I could still use it if I hadn't already scanned all my negs and ditched it.

Bit late now, I ordered one off the evil Amazon last night at about 6pm, which is arriving between 12.15-2.00pm, if it works OK, I'll happy enough as it only cost £15, inc. next day delivery.

Reactions: Chz

I'm with you on this , some of it no doubt has a use but there's almost a child like over reliance on some of this stuff. When my brother-in-law comes over he's always on about his voice activated devices , " ooh I just say lounge light on and the lights come on, rather than have to get up and switch the light on " and Amazon telling him he needs more washing powder etc but he's the laziest person I have met and he is about a stone and half overweight.

Wow! Thank you :)

What installing did you have to do, to get that all working, as in wall switches and rewiring and stuff <becomes increasingly vague>?
When I bought my house the wiring was a mess and, in some cases, dangerous!

The most serious issues were:
no earthing anywhere,
'lighting' grade wiring to all the kitchen sockets, and
bare wires in the front garden and in the loft.

The secondary issues were:
that there was only one light switch in the hall by the front door even though there are five doors along the length of the hall,
there was only one light switch in the kitchen even though there are three entrances to the kitchen
all the existing light switches were behind the doors when they were opened, and
there was lots of redundant wiring throughout the house and in the garden.

The lights in the front garden were also operated from an old immersion heater switch outside the bathroom :confused: (that took us a while to work out! :D)

As a result of all the problems I could have had the house rewired traditionally and had the walls of the kitchen and hall channelled out to put in extra switches. However that would have resulted in a lot of additional work to redecorate afterwards. Instead I chose the smart home route. It was slightly more expensive but saved on all the hacking about and redecorating.

I had an electrician do most of it for me. Initially, he traced all the problems and disconnected the dangerous and redundant wiring. He removed some of it and left me to do the rest - I was finding old wiring buried the front garden for months!

The creation of the smart home as been done in stages - the Loxone system is modular so you can add to it over time.

First he installed the server in a cabinet in the loft. Luckily all the original wiring inside the house was in conduits hidden behind the walls and, as it's a bungalow, much of the rest is accessible from the loft. The existing wiring from the lights was connected to the server. New 24v wiring was run from the server and pulled through the existing conduits down to the switches. Most of the light switches were swapped out for single, double or triple retractive ones. The back boxes are the same size as the originals so didn't require any further changes. Effectively the 'switches' are now in the server with the wall switches acting as 'senders' to provide information to the server so it knows what to do when they are pressed (to provide multiple functions via one button).

After that, he added the motion, light, heat and smoke sensors in the hall and kitchen and connected them to the server. Again, being a bungalow, that was relatively straightforward to attach them to the ceilings and run the cabling in the loft.

The server was then hardwired to my wi-fi router and he programmed it from there and then showed me how to modify all the settings and add new functionality.

The second stage was a minor one. The electrician ran traditional wiring into the back garden to the shed and to provide various waterproof sockets so I could use the lawnmower, leaf blower etc. without running long cables back to the house. It also meant I could have power to the BBQ area. Having power by the BBQ area has meant I can use the Sonos speakers there too. I added a water feature and low-voltage lighting and the electrician installed another wirelessly controlled socket system to control them via the server. Because of the size of the garden he had to install a booster transmitter/receiver in the loft.

The third stage was adding the heating into the system. Initially, he just connected the old boiler to the server so it could control the timing of the heating and basically replace the existing timer on the boiler. But when I had the boiler replaced we did it properly. We added the wireless room sensors which just needed to be screwed to a wall in each room. They are discreet little boxes about 4 or 5 cm square and possibly 1 cm deep. All the thermostatically controlled valves (TRVs) on the radiators were replaced with wireless actuators. This was simply a case of unscrewing the TRVs and screwing on the wireless actuators.

The server was then reprogrammed to recognise the room sensors and the wireless actuators and to add a heating schedule. Just to add, the heating has so many permutations. Each room has three levels of heating (as well as 'off'). You can set up multiple schedules as far as timing is concerned so I have a basic weekly schedule with the heating coming on in different rooms at different times on different days but also schedules for when I have guests or when I'm away.

The final stage was to add the extractors in the bathroom and kitchen. The vents were cut into the ceilings with the actual fans installed in the loft space (it's much quieter than having them just above the vents). The sensors were already in place from when the heating was done so it was just a case of updating the programming of the server to add the extra functionality.

I think that's more or less it.

It does have some odd little functions too. For instance, if I'm away I can get it to switch lights on or off following a similar pattern to the way they would be switched had I been there. I've never tried it but I suspect this would mean the lights would come on in the loo at random intervals roughly matching my normal visits. :D

I'm with you on this , some of it no doubt has a use but there's almost a child like over reliance on some of this stuff. When my brother-in-law comes over he's always on about his voice activated devices , " ooh I just say lounge light on and the lights come on, rather than have to get up and switch the light on " and Amazon telling him he needs more washing powder etc but he's the laziest person I have met and he is about a stone and half overweight.
There's definitely some tech geekiness about it all which I enjoy. :oops:

And, there's a degree of reliance/laziness which develops from it. I was staying somewhere recently and walked into the kitchen. It took me a couple of seconds to realise I had to actually switch the light on if I wanted to see anything! It took me several trips to the kitchen to re-adjust to having to switch the light on every time I walked into it. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom