Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Smart TV.

Doing this for m parents just now. You probably don’t really need the freebies box. But, if you want it ( my mum loves old detective stuff some of which is only on Alibi). Looks like your recorder is just SCART, you can buy an adapter, I’ve not tried it yet but for £12 it’s probably worth a go before you buy a new recorder.
She may know them but I've just come across The Mind of JG Reeder by Edgar Walllace.

There's only a few but they really are good.

I also love The McLevy series - Edinburgh detective from the 19th century. They're radio but there's loads of them, great for when your doing other stuff.

Does this come under tech??
I'm probably going to sound really stupid now.
I want to upgrade my old bog standard Samsung TV to a new smart TV. How do I connect my Freeview recorder? Do I need an aerial?
I have absolutely no idea where to start. (Be kind 🫣🤣🤣)
Nope. Smart TV will replace your existing setup , will be able connect your free view recorder via HDMI or scart.

I have a Samsung a different model than that, it's an excellent TV
Looking at the pictures of that one, the round connector that says ANT is what you would use to connect your Freeview box
The ARC HDMI which is what you use to connect a soundbar is on HDMI 3 not 1 like it is on mine so what I said about avoiding HDMI 1 applies to HDMI 3 on yours

I have a Samsung a different model than that, it's an excellent TV
Looking at the pictures of that one, the round connector that says ANT is what you would use to connect your Freeview box
The ARC HDMI which is what you use to connect a soundbar is on HDMI 3 not 1 like it is on mine so what I said about avoiding HDMI 1 applies to HDMI 3 on yours
Thank you. Much appreciated 👍

Ok I'm thinking you're all sick of me now. 🫢
However... ☺️
My neighbour knocked and gave me this TV. I've tried to connect my old Humax recorder. But sadly it's not having it. Think it's just too old. I've tried with hdmi. And hdmi & scart. But nope. 😞
Any recommendations for a new recorder that would connect to this TV? 🙏🙏

ignore that FAQ, it's asking if the TV has built in recording facility, which it doesn't. But that doesn't matter to you as you already have one in your Freeview box. The TV has a Freeview tuner built in but no recording facility built in.

You should be able to connect your Humax DVR using one of the below leads from the SCART on the back of the Humax box to the 3 x phono plugs (red/white/yellow) on the back of the TV. It will probably be listed as "AV" under inputs.

(I'd still get the Samsung though. :D )

1704829757342.png

1704829822107.png

ignore that FAQ, it's asking if the TV has built in recording facility, which it doesn't. But that doesn't matter to you as you already have one in your Freeview box. The TV has a Freeview tuner built in but no recording facility built in.

You should be able to connect your Humax DVR using one of the below leads from the SCART on the back of the Humax box to the 3 x phono plugs (red/white/yellow) on the back of the TV. It will probably be listed as "AV" under inputs.

(I'd still get the Samsung though. :D )

View attachment 407668

View attachment 407669

Thank you so much. Really appreciated. 🤗. I'd prefer a Samsung too. But this one was free. 😁

No worries at all.

Without wishing to over complicate it the new TV Freeview tuner may get HD channels so it may be worth plugging in an aerial cable from the back of the Humax to the TV and watch Freeview on the new TV for potentially better picture quality. You will still have to record things on the box though. Does that make sense?

My Freesat recording box and a new LNB cost me £350.00. My Sky bill was over £60.00 a month, so the Freesat setup is now 'paid for'. :)

Back
Top Bottom