Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shows your age

Doctor Who, a show whose popularity I never understood but then it never got shown in Germany when I was a kid

The Judy Garland Show, which as a Judy-queen makes me happy, though I've only seen a few episodes.

The Outer Limits, which was like a longer Twilight Zone with more monsters. Only caught up with it later, when it already felt quite dated.

June 1960
----------------- but later in that year ----

September
  • 10 September – ITV broadcasts the first live Football League match to be shown on television, and the last for 23 years.[6]
  • 11 September – Danger Man premieres on ITV.
  • 19 September – BBC Schools starts using the Pie Chart ident.
October
December

I was born the same month Sesame Street first aired in the UK.

Not too mucking fusty, as my grandfather would have said.

Nothing in May 1971, but it was the year of the debuts of Mr. Benn, The Two Ronnies, Parkinson, The Generation Game, The Old Grey Whistle Test, and The Comedians

Nothing for May 1969 but later on that year things pick up a bit:

Star Trek
Monty Python
Dad’s Army
Randal and Hopkirk
Benny Hill Show
The Clangers
Chigley
That Blue Peter episode with Lulu the elephant

Rolf Harris‘s Carton Time, Blankety Blank, and The Jim Davidson Show.

My parents must have thought all their Christmases had come at once.

Nothing in my birth month, however a month later Lulu the elephant pooed on Blue Peter so the year wasnt wasted!

Cathy come home was first shown the day before i was born, and patrick troughton first appeared as doctor who 12 days before .

I can see where you are coming from. I only disagree in the fact that it wasn't even for kids as at least that would have more direction. It was a mess of ideas searching for an audience for a long while.

buuuuuuuut who was always a strange mix of dark and family friendly. I think it was just that who struggled to modernise. davison was the last hurrah of old school doctorness and colin was a mess of 80's revitalisation and budget issues that was all over the place which also hit mccoy hard. I am astonished they made any sort of turn around with mccoy.

delighted when it came back revamped.... so you like McGann?

for years I hated McGann it took the novelisations (parly terrance dicks in the 8th doctor but more importantly the really quit special vampire science one of my most beloved novelisations) and more importantly the bbc shorts to redeem the character

i found ecclestone to be intresting but not great.

Loved Mcgann, but the story was very average. Delighted to see him return to the role, years later in the mini episode.

Ecclestone was even better. Real shame he bailed out early.

Not much.

My Old Man (some Clive Dunn vehicle)
Happy Every After (which later became Terry and June)
The Small World of Samuel Tweet (about a guy with a twitter account with very few followers)

Thinking about it I do have a strange notion that Terry and June have always been with us.

November 1986 here. I got:

Garfield In Paradise (5th)
Unnatural Causes (8th)
Room at the Bottom (9th)
SWALLOW (12th)
Running Loose (13th)
The Singing Detective (yay! - 16th)
Breaking Up (19th)
Beadle's About (22nd)
Kilroy (24th)
The Children of Green Knowe (26th)

Last edited:
The whole of Channel 4, plus over on BBC2:

iu

A Question of Sport first aired, and Jon Pertwee became the new Dr Who a couple of weeks before I arrived.

Earliest memories of telly would probably be play school, magic roundabout, bagpuss, it's the wolf, the clangers, ivor the engine, trumpton / camberwick green, and pot black (snooker) which was fairly shit in black and white. for that matter, it was only comparitvely recently that i found out bagpuss was in black and white when he was asleep and colour when he was awake

Back
Top Bottom