Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shows your age

In this thread we list shows that are your age.
What TV shows first aired in your birth month and year?

I got quite lucky. I'm September 1981 so I manage to pick up

Only fools and horses (8th)
Postman Pat (16th)
Danger Mouse (28th)
Bullseye (also 28th)

I must admit to watching and liking all of those.

This link may help people

Actually if I include the US I can add the smurfs to that list.

This makes me very nostalgic for old TV

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe debuted on British TV several weeks after I was born, and would go on to define my pathetic life :thumbs:
I actually think He-Man stands up a lot better than many 80's cartoons.

although if you can include several weeks after birth I can include october 81 which had some amazing hits like Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (09/10/81) and Ulysses 31 (10/10/81)

I actually think He-Man stands up a lot better than many 80's cartoons.

although if you can include several weeks after birth I can include october 81 which had some amazing hits like Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (09/10/81) and Ulysses 31 (10/10/81)

It was pretty shit, but had a lot of talent involved; the sequel, She-Ra: Princess of Power, even more so

Only one new programme in the September I was born. I have never seen it.
Scotsport. It went on on BBC Scotland until 2008.

The Sky at Night had started in April.
The only other notable event was the ending of the ‘Toddlers Truce’, in February, no tv programmes transmitted between 6 and 7 PM, to allow parents to put the children to bed.

I was not aware it was televised.

dramatic reconstruction

20170301231819.jpg

August 1961 - another month of fuck all. And I mean fuck all, even on the world one, nothing was launched

-
The last decent Doctor Who tale from the classic era, imho, of course.
I will say it's the best for a good long time.

I'm a bit down on Colin Baker. I remember his era as being trash and the few stories i have seen of him haven't really helped.

McCoy's first season was garbage too (I kinda like paradise towers but it isn't exactly amazing, Time and the rani is fucking atrocious, dragonfire is empty as fuck. I don't remember delta and the bannermen but i can't imagine it would turn the season around). Which is a shame because his later stuff is some of my favorite who stuff. This is particularly true of the end season which has battlefield and the curse of fenric two of my most favorite who stories. ghostlight is good too although i completely did not get it as a kid. Survival is great too if let down by budget.

There was a TV show called The Adventures of Twizzle which began
In the month of my birth (Nov 1957) and apparently Captain Pugwash was first shown the same year (broadcast live apparently)
I can remember as a kid watching Star Trek in black and white since my Dad thought a colour TV was a waste of money.
Radio Rentals actually let him have a colour one at the same price as his black and white since he was their last Crewe customer with a b&w

No idea what was on telly when I was born. But remember we had a black and white telly for years - there was a colour one in the front room, so the old B & W portable was relegated to a bedroom. You had to turn a dial to tune in to different channels.

Earliest telly memory was watching Tom and Jerry before a power cut plunged us into darkness, so the candles were brought out.

-
I will say it's the best for a good long time.

I'm a bit down on Colin Baker. I remember his era as being trash and the few stories i have seen of him haven't really helped.

McCoy's first season was garbage too (I kinda like paradise towers but it isn't exactly amazing, Time and the rani is fucking atrocious, dragonfire is empty as fuck. I don't remember delta and the bannermen but i can't imagine it would turn the season around). Which is a shame because his later stuff is some of my favorite who stuff. This is particularly true of the end season which has battlefield and the curse of fenric two of my most favorite who stories. ghostlight is good too although i completely did not get it as a kid. Survival is great too if let down by budget.

By the time Sylvester McCoy had taken the role, I'd been let down by the show and I really felt it was shoestring and aimed at kids. But I persevered and was delighted when it came back revamped.

By the time Sylvester McCoy had taken the role, I'd been let down by the show and I really felt it was shoestring and aimed at kids. But I persevered and was delighted when it came back revamped.
I can see where you are coming from. I only disagree in the fact that it wasn't even for kids as at least that would have more direction. It was a mess of ideas searching for an audience for a long while.

buuuuuuuut who was always a strange mix of dark and family friendly. I think it was just that who struggled to modernise. davison was the last hurrah of old school doctorness and colin was a mess of 80's revitalisation and budget issues that was all over the place which also hit mccoy hard. I am astonished they made any sort of turn around with mccoy.

delighted when it came back revamped.... so you like McGann?

for years I hated McGann it took the novelisations (parly terrance dicks in the 8th doctor but more importantly the really quit special vampire science one of my most beloved novelisations) and more importantly the bbc shorts to redeem the character

i found ecclestone to be intresting but not great.

Not the day, but the year of my birth the film "Seagulls Die in the Harbour" was released.

We'd a black and white telly when I was born. Don't remember what was on the schedule at that particular time.
If it is a matter of remembering what was on the telly when you were born, how did you even know whether there was a telly or not? Do you also remember a floor, or a roof? :hmm:

I do have an idea what was on the telly when I was born, (but it was was in a hospital) in that my Mum once mentioned that they took her into the delivery room, but she could hear the opening sounds of "Coronation Street". I can see why it is obvious that I was always a disappointment to Mum.

If it is a matter of remembering what was on the telly when you were born, how did you even know whether there was a telly or not? Do you also remember a floor, or a roof? :hmm:

I do have an idea what was on the telly when I was born, (but it was was in a hospital) in that my Mum once mentioned that they took her into the delivery room, but she could hear the opening sounds of "Coronation Street". I can see why it is obvious that I was always a disappointment to Mum.

I remember stumbling, rain, darkness, death, darkness and a white blinding light followed by an explosion of colours.

Or at least, that's what I used to dream of from as far back as I remember. Recurring dream for the first decade (and a bit) of life.

February 1965 was a bit disappointing in terms of TV shows debuting. Which of course it more than made up for in other ways.

Back
Top Bottom