Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should you put your leftovers in the fridge before or after they have cooled down?

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
I'm paranoid about food poisoning and worked in big kitchens where it was the rule to refrigerate stuff while still warm, but others seem to disagree.

New fridges adjust- some of the older ones you can 'turbo' for a bit too. I think the advice is from the sort of fridges we all had a few years ago
I've always had tiny, shit fridges (private rental... ) so err on the side of caution. With a big expensive fridge it probably doesn't matter so much.

I've always felt it's more sporting to at least let the cockroaches get within snatching distance.
big.cockroach.jpg

a container being shallow has nothing to do with the amount it will raise the heat inside the fridge.
It will chill quicker in a shallow dish. The fridge is cool enough not for the temperature to be raised. If it was in a massive casserole, it would take ages to cool and might raise the internal temperature of the fridge.

It will chill quicker in a shallow dish. The fridge is cool enough not for the temperature to be raised. If it was in a massive casserole, it would take ages to cool and might raise the internal temperature of the fridge.
for a *given quantity* of food it will still put the same amount of heat into the fridge, just at a different rate.

You definitely need to put rice in the fridge before you cool it down if you bother to reuse leftover rice.

You definitely need to put rice in the fridge before you cool it down if you bother to reuse leftover rice.
Nah - this is also bollocks. I live with some guys from India and they make a batch of rice everyday and just leave it in the rice cooker until it's been eaten. No fridging at all and they seem to get up alive every morning.

They also cook all manner of curries and leave them in the pot on the cooker until it's all been eaten. This can take a few days sometimes.

Nah - this is also bollocks. I live with some guys from India and they make a batch of rice everyday and just leave it in the rice cooker until it's been eaten. No fridging at all and they seem to get up alive every morning.

They also cook all manner of curries and leave them in the pot on the cooker until it's all been eaten. This can take a few days sometimes.
Safe cooling of cooked rice

Yeah at home my mum never put rice in the fridge. It was always just left in the aucepan with the lid on and usually eaten by the next day. I, mostly, do the same unless I need to use that pot again in the mean time. Curries would go in the fridge though.

I usually let food cool down to room temp before refrigerating but that's more to do with not wanting to raise the temp of the fridge rather than for any food hygiene reason. I honestly think people are are way too fucked up about this kind of shit. I'm sure there are more people in the world who don't have fridges than who do and im also sure they generally eat leftovers just fine.

My advice to you Orang Utan would be do whatever is convenient at the time and don't worry about it.

Having said all this, if I was feeding a frail elderly person or a child, I would probably be more careful with food hygiene.

Back
Top Bottom