Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Share Your Spotify Playlists

I’m on a mission to hear new music. Add yours, or ones you’ve found, with a brief description. Thanks in advance. (I did look if a similar thread existed but the only one I found was buried in a Christmas forum by Friedaweed).
I mostly like techno/electronic but up for listening to anything really.

it's long (as most spotify playlists tend to be), feel free to skip through.... or put it on while tidying up or whatever. playlists are lot more disposable than mixtapes etc to me, they're sometimes handy/fun but I can't get as enthusiastic about them as much as a mix. cos you just drag and drop tunes.

I’m on a mission to hear new music. Add yours, or ones you’ve found, with a brief description. Thanks in advance. (I did look if a similar thread existed but the only one I found was buried in a Christmas forum by Friedaweed).
I mostly like techno/electronic but up for listening to anything really.
I was going to ask the radio 6 moaners yesterday to add to my radio 6 playlist(you can do that, send a link for "collaborators") but then came over all shy. Good thread!

I was going to ask the radio 6 moaners yesterday to add to my radio 6 playlist(you can do that, send a link for "collaborators") but then came over all shy. Good thread!
I’ll listen to anyone’s offerings. I’m currently halfway through rutabowa playlist and thoroughly enjoying it. What’s better is it isn’t stuff I’d normally listen to. I get a bit lazy with music. I need to broaden my horizons.

There's some really good lists on this thread

There's some really good lists on this thread

I’ll work my way through those also. It didn’t come up on my search as the title didn’t mention Spotify.

Cool. I’ll listen to these. Stupidly I have two threads running regarding new music. But I’ve got the time to work through all of it. Spotify is a dream come true for this.

So Magnus here is my Spotify Radio 6 playlist, I hadn't been in the habit of making them and had started this one a month ago to try and break out of algorithm hell, built it up a bit more last week. I put it on when I'm studying and add anything I like. Most of this is probably from Jamz Supernova's numerous shows, hardest working DJ since Annie Mac surely. Lots is from the Huey show.

The high point of this playlist for me is Nzara Hapana by Mokoomba. I felt that beyond the party atmosphere of this record there were parallels between the HAIIIIAWWWWW! in the chorus and the Scottish Gaelic style "Obhan obhan obhan iri" (to take one example from Griogail Cridhe(Gregor's Lament) ) which means nothing language-wise but conveys much colour and emotion. It may be that HAIAAAWWWWWW!! is actually a word, but I found this bit from bandcamp interesting after further digging:

" It is this connection that gives Mokoomba’s music its spiritual power. And if you hear Mathias Muzaza singing and you watch closely, you will realize that this music carries him to a different sphere, a spiritual place, a place where he is singing with the ancestors. Only a split second later Trust Samende’s sparkling guitar riffs kick in, blending congolese influences from neighbouring Kasai with Zamrock and Mbira inspired Chimurenga music, making you want to hit the dancefloor. It is this unique blend of local musical styles with contemporary dance music that makes Mokoombas music unique. Mokoomba reconnect the world of today with Zimbabwe’s cultural DNA and the world of the ancestors."

(You must google the bandcamp write up as sharing it on here just puts a video up)

Yeah! That's literally what I would have said if you hadn't said it first guys!

Luckily I'm only going to bang on about the one song, you're spared my thoughts on the rest of the playlist.

Here's my giant 1971 list. All album tracks and generally tending towards the chill out end of things. But all genres including eg. Bollywood, jazz-funk and improvised noise though with a bit of bias towards folk. I intended to do a load more of these for different years, but I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom