Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

First thing that sprang to my mind (if you will pardon the exgageration), was

"Oh please stop posting, look at the bags under ma pwetty eyes, they is almost as big as ma ego now", or simular. LET ZE MEEEP SLEEEPZ:)

Captions please. :facepalm:

SDC13449.jpg
OMG, that photo would melt anyone's heart. Got a soft spot for ginger tabbies, after my Herbie (RIP)

I have learned a lot about guinea pigs from this thread.

The only pinnygig I had met previously was a class pet at primary school, and all he did was sleep, occasionally wake up and mooch a bit, eat a bit, meep faintly, and then go back to sleep.

Which always seemed kinda dull. The gerbils, by comparison did dig tunnels in the sawdust, run around, shred bog roll middles and sleep in a gerbil pile.

On reflection he was probably depressed - living in a pretty small cage and getting poked with ILEA pencils by scruffy 10 year olds is probably enough to make anyone depressed...
I wasn't allowed any rodents as a child, so have been making up for that deficit over the past 25 years! :)

I started out with gerbils, also had a pair of dwarf hamsters. I'd seen guinea pigs in pet shops and yes, they looked pretty dull. One day though, when I went in to get gerbil food, I saw the pet shop owner's daughter holding a guinea who was singing to it's heart's content, and I never looked back. On boars 7 and 8 (you have to do succession planning,) now. They need stuff to do or they get bored, but their conversations, their antics, their affection - just amazing.

Gruffydd ap Mochyn (Griff) is the fuzzy cream coloured one. He's from Casnewydd (Newport - you knows it!) and he turned 3 in August. Malcolm Preston MacRodent VIII is the sort of tricolour one. He was born in Preston, Lancashire, but moved to a shelter in Gretna at 3 weeks of age - bit of an Oliver Twist situation here. I have it on good authority he is a descendent of a line of noble rodents who once owned Craigmillar Castle! Who else would be happy being paid in vegetables and grain? :)

P7081242.JPG

Whoops - soz for the gender confusion. Interestingly enough, I've only ever had male cats and pigs and female dogs, but gerbils of both sexes.

Their mouths are the most amazing things. Look like my aunt Janice. I think I've mentioned that before.

Anyway, here's Charlie right now, relaxing on my legs having been super helpful earlier while I was putting together flat pack furniture:
9c7de6d6156111e2ba6922000a1fb733_7.jpg

Quite apart from climbing in the furniture and scratching me every time I tried to screw in screws, he disappeared for a while at one point, then came back and proceeded to wipe his shitty arse across the duvet cover. Fucking shitbird.

rollover.jpgtufts.jpg

this is pepper, who came to live with me on saturday. she's six months old, and very friendly and purry, and seems to be settling in well.
she has a ridiculously fluffy tail, which makes her look part squirrel, and ridiculously tufty ears, which makes her look part owl (imo). so far, her favourite things seem to be sleeping in unexpected places*, trying to eat receipts, sticking her head up sleeves and purring like a small motorbike.

she is absolutely lovely :)

* i spent about ten minutes panicking when i got in this afternoon cos i couldn't find her. looked in the wardrobe she hid in yesterday, no joy.
should've checked my bag first :facepalm:

catinabag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom