Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

We have acquired a black & white [male] hamster - he'll be known as "Patch" - just at the end of last week [let's say on the 25th].

The reason was that I had to take Elmer on a one-way trip to the vet's this morning, as he grew a nasty tumour on his cheek and it was getting rapidly bigger. Initially, I thought the swelling was him carrying peanuts or half a grape around - that was only a week or so back.
But at around four years of age, he's had a good life ...
So, the last service & kindness has been performed.

As sad as it makes me, every single time one of the little furries goes, we'll be doing it all again, and again ...

[I did tell them that we would also offer rehab or long term care for any hedgehogs that turn up ... and we may get a call this evening or tomorrow. I made the point as I overheard the receptionist talking to someone about what could be a potentially injured hedgepig. Although, it could be all they had heard was mr hp going after mrs hp for some nookie !]

received_710109443458689.jpeg

received_1217029775704400.jpeg

So this happened. Its a Gargoyle gecko and I've been lucky enough to be sent a photo of it hatching, then as he looks now at a few weeks old. Named it Nero and I'm already stocking up on powdered gecko food ahead of him coming home in a couple months

Sorry for your loss StoneRoad , even with the littlest ones it is difficult, and they definitely do not live long enough do they. 4 is an excellent age however.

Photos of Patch will be required of course!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss StoneRoad , even with the littlest ones it is difficult, and they definitely do not live long enough do they. 4 is an excellent age however.

Photos of Patch will be required however!
Aye, some pictures will be available "shortly" as he's still a bit shy after his recent arrival.
He's settling down quickly !

1653764577838.png

This is Gary. You can actually see in the photo that he has a worrying lump on his left hand side. He had just come out of the vets. It seems to have gone down with preds and anti-biotics so probably not the worst case scenario. Also doesn't seem to be bothering him at all (yet). Anyway he's been getting a lot of attention and walks and treats. Had a nice day out with him.

Incidentally "Gary" is a dying name. So why not recycle it as an animal name? Good strong two-syllable ring to it.

View attachment 324503

This is Gary. You can actually see in the photo that he has a worrying lump on his left hand side. He had just come out of the vets. It seems to have gone down with preds and anti-biotics so probably not the worst case scenario. Also doesn't seem to be bothering him at all (yet). Anyway he's been getting a lot of attention and walks and treats. Had a nice day out with him.

Incidentally "Gary" is a dying name. So why not recycle it as an animal name? Good strong two-syllable ring to it.

You have balls the size of the Death Star. Ferrets are fucking terrifying.

Sadly, Jimmy the hamster is now RIP [a few days ago].

These small animals definitely don't live for long enough ...

But Yesterday, we've acquired a little female hamster - very cute.
Name still under discussion, various suggestions have been made.
Final choice will - probably - depend on "personality".

I have some more images to take, I did get some of her on arrival and there are some of Patch due to appear "shortly" on my Ipernity ...

My little Anna died today. We think she was pretty old (7-9) and she went down hill quickly. Spent the first few years of her life with someone who didn't know about ferrets and was scared of her, I think she spent a lot time in a small cage with rubbish cat food to eat.

She settled in really quickly with us and would actually break into cages especially to look after young ferrets. This is her when we got her at a ferret racing event.

1654975291267.png

This is her last week (yeah she changed colour when she got older). She had food issues at this time and was only eating expensive cat food. We thought maybe teeth issues but nothing serious, even a few days ago she was pretty happy.

1654974733050.png

My little Anna died today. We think she was pretty old (7-9) and she went down hill quickly. Spent the first few years of her life with someone who didn't know about ferrets and was scared of her, I think she spent a lot time in a small cage with rubbish cat food to eat.

She settled in really quickly with us and would actually break into cages especially to look after young ferrets. This is her when we got her at a ferret racing event.

View attachment 326807

This is her last week (yeah she changed colour when she got older). She had food issues at this time and was only eating expensive cat food. We thought maybe teeth issues but nothing serious, even a few days ago she was pretty happy.

View attachment 326803

I'm very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl and was very lucky I think to have found you to care for her.
I am sure her time with you was very happy and you will have given her a great life.
Loads of love to you.

View attachment 326807

View attachment 326803
Condolences, Knotted
Anna looks quite a character !

Maybe this should be in birdwatching, idk.

I was at the local traction engine club's annual rally today [first time for three years].
They always have loads of side shows, trade stands etc, etc,
One of which was a group of birds of prey, which called to me, so I went over for a good look.

Their newest bird on display was a two year old male Steppes Eagle, he's just into full training and getting used to big events and lots of people.
He's called Zelenskyy !

Did a dog-transport run today.

This chap will be looking for a new home after assessment. That's assuming the fosterer can give him up (unlikely, IMO)

1657209735066.png

The dog with the longest eyebrows I've ever seen!!!

😍

Edited to add: oops. I meant to post this to the dog thread :facepalm:

Last edited:
Just took an order in from The Spider Shop. Most of its for a mate here but I treated myself to 5 (but they sent 9!) of these stunners. Aren't they just adorable?

IMG_20220902_110155.jpg

After all maybe 8 to 10 months of living buried in a mix of leaf litter and decayed wood, they'll pop out looking something like this.

images (9).jpeg

IMG_20220914_203907.jpg

Nero just munched his first ever insect, an adult grasshopper thats about half as long as him. Nero is a Gargoyle Gecko and whilst they can happily live on a diet replacement mix, they're much better having live insects too. He came from the breeder with the warning he'd never taken a bug.

Boom!

Back
Top Bottom