Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Self-indulgent pet thread

Please visit the kitties here?

Pah. That's for pussies :D

Pwdin wasn't getting any better, and my attempts to syringe feed him were an abject failure, so I found a local vet hospital that does rabbits, and am parked outside waiting for the verdict.

This is what I took up smoking again for!

Looks like he's going to be fine. Because I spotted it early, the treatment should be successful. He's staying overnight at the bunny hospital :D and I'll get an update in the morning.

Trwffl doesn't appear to be affected by his disappearance, and is taking full advantage of the extra attention and treats. The little tart.

Looks like he's going to be fine. Because I spotted it early, the treatment should be successful. He's staying overnight at the bunny hospital :D and I'll get an update in the morning.

Trwffl doesn't appear to be affected by his disappearance, and is taking full advantage of the extra attention and treats. The little tart.

:)

get well soon, pwdin

🐰

What is GI stasis, existentialist?

Asking because I dont want to google it and maybe see pictures...of poorly bunnies 🙁
Rabbits have a finely tuned digestive system. As ever, Mr Pratchett puts it better than I could, albeit describing swamp dragons:

" These dragons are generally called swamp dragons because they evolved in swamps, where there is rather little that can be used as fuel, and this is a problem for animals that create flame to incubate eggs, fight off enemies, predators, and other dragons (competitors for food or territory), or just to dispel boredom. Swamp dragons compensate for this by evolving a huge appetite for anything that can be used for combustion. Swamp dragons can rearrange their "internal plumbing", guts, stomach, other miscellaneous tubes, to make the best use of what they have eaten, and to make the hottest flame they can. When having indigestion (a common ailment for swamp dragons), or being over-excited, a dragon tends to explode, which is the most common (practically the only) cause of death for swamp dragons. Swamp dragons are almost permanently ill; the famous swamp dragon breeder, Lady Sybil Ramkin, has written a book listing all swamp dragon diseases, their symptoms, causes, treatments, and so on. "

Which is basically a - ahahaha - high-octane description of a rabbit's digestion. Rabbits have a huge caecum (think "lower bowel") in which all the plant fibres they consume meet an array of bacteria which set to work breaking down cellulose and turning it into sugars and starches. The balance of these gut flora is finely-tuned, and delicate - primarily, they are evolved to work best on grasses and hays. The result of their efforts is then excreted as "night poo" (caecotropes), which the rabbit eats off its bum, thereby providing essential nutrients and carbohydrates. Any rabbit that, for whatever reason, stops being able to eat its caecotropes gets ill very fast.

But problems can occur at the other end too. If that gut biome gets disrupted, either through poor feeding, stress, or some other illness, the finely tuned balance quickly goes out of control, and - unfortunately - the rabbit's response is usually to stop eating...which of course exacerbates the problem. Worst case, other bacteria which don't have the beneficial gut effect start to prosper (clostridium being one), and the gut contents start to ferment, creating bloating and pain. Ultimately, if not treated, the rabbit will inevitably die.

It is looking like Pwdin has dodged that bullet. Speaking to the vet this morning, he's eating, and a bit perkier, but they are still waiting for things to happen in the department of poo, so they'll hang onto him until that's sorted...

Rabbits have a finely tuned digestive system. As ever, Mr Pratchett puts it better than I could, albeit describing swamp dragons:

" These dragons are generally called swamp dragons because they evolved in swamps, where there is rather little that can be used as fuel, and this is a problem for animals that create flame to incubate eggs, fight off enemies, predators, and other dragons (competitors for food or territory), or just to dispel boredom. Swamp dragons compensate for this by evolving a huge appetite for anything that can be used for combustion. Swamp dragons can rearrange their "internal plumbing", guts, stomach, other miscellaneous tubes, to make the best use of what they have eaten, and to make the hottest flame they can. When having indigestion (a common ailment for swamp dragons), or being over-excited, a dragon tends to explode, which is the most common (practically the only) cause of death for swamp dragons. Swamp dragons are almost permanently ill; the famous swamp dragon breeder, Lady Sybil Ramkin, has written a book listing all swamp dragon diseases, their symptoms, causes, treatments, and so on. "

Which is basically a - ahahaha - high-octane description of a rabbit's digestion. Rabbits have a huge caecum (think "lower bowel") in which all the plant fibres they consume meet an array of bacteria which set to work breaking down cellulose and turning it into sugars and starches. The balance of these gut flora is finely-tuned, and delicate - primarily, they are evolved to work best on grasses and hays. The result of their efforts is then excreted as "night poo" (caecotropes), which the rabbit eats off its bum, thereby providing essential nutrients and carbohydrates. Any rabbit that, for whatever reason, stops being able to eat its caecotropes gets ill very fast.

But problems can occur at the other end too. If that gut biome gets disrupted, either through poor feeding, stress, or some other illness, the finely tuned balance quickly goes out of control, and - unfortunately - the rabbit's response is usually to stop eating...which of course exacerbates the problem. Worst case, other bacteria which don't have the beneficial gut effect start to prosper (clostridium being one), and the gut contents start to ferment, creating bloating and pain. Ultimately, if not treated, the rabbit will inevitably die.

It is looking like Pwdin has dodged that bullet. Speaking to the vet this morning, he's eating, and a bit perkier, but they are still waiting for things to happen in the department of poo, so they'll hang onto him until that's sorted...

Well that was interesting. Thank fuck we are not rabbits or swamp dragons 😳

Good to hear that Pwdin is improving and hopefully on the way to a productive poo..
🙂

Update. Pwdin is eating, but not all that much just yet - he still turns his nose up at treats if I offer them. But they've "debonded" a bit, and had a punch-up shortly after his arrival home, so they're separated from each other and None Best Pleased about it. I now have two stroppy rabbits who think I'm the Rabbit Devil Incarnate. She stomps the floor if I go near, he just runs like he's seen a ghost. Bit of a long haul back to normality, I think...

Or maybe not such a long haul. He just took a treat from me.

She'd managed to worm her way through the baby gate, so I've now bodged a bit of cage side onto it, and moved it so the flat's a bit more evenly split. I'm hoping they'll be able to get to know each other again through the gate without the opportunity for violence.

This isn't quite what I had in mind in my bunny ownership dreams!

Damp a couple of small towels, rub one over each and leave next to the other.

Is it possible that Pwdin smells too strongly of "elsewhere" and "other people" ?

Damp a couple of small towels, rub one over each and leave next to the other.

Is it possible that Pwdin smells too strongly of "elsewhere" and "other people" ?
Yes. A friend says her cats are always a bit suspicious when one comes back from the vet's. But another points out that Pwdin's been hanging around with a LOT of other women during his stay in hospital :D, so it could be that, too - he gets on a lot better with women than with men (well, me :hmm:).

Glad to hear he is home and doing well! Hope they are best of friends again soon, I think having the baby gate so they can see one another and interact without fisticuffs is a grand idea. Best wishes!

A rapprochement is underway. Withdrawal to pre-prepared positions is complete, and diplomatic negotiations, largely in the form of existentialist-distributed kale, fenugreek bites, and his entire vegetable supply for the next week, distributed with exquisite precision on both sides of the "anti-fascist barrier". Stage II talks to begin after 2 or 3 broccoli heads. I'm looking at scaling down Checkpoint Charlie (baby gate) over the next few months :D.

20210319_180510 bunny bonding.jpg

The little fucker...he must have worked hard to get this done...

20210329_125327.jpg

So, having spotted the damage, and assumed from a quick inspection (and the continued life of the rabbit) that he'd managed not to chomp a live conductor, I carefully laid the cable on top of the heater to prevent further attacks. BANG!

One bloody lucky rabbit. And now I have another little job to do, viz. replacing that cable. Maybe with something armour-plated :hmm:

Last edited:
Bonding rabbits in the bath.

20210407_094042.jpg

So far, so good. No fur flying, no teeth deployed. I took them out after 10 minutes or so, and both seemed a little indignant, which I take as a good sign. I'll do another session later...

In other news, Pwdin has learned to bite off the cable ties holding the mesh onto the gate, and last night managed to find the ONE unprotected (until the next one) cable, and promptly cut off the (low voltage) supply to my Hue. Little fucker :D. Which is partly what prompted the bonding attempt - I think he's giving it the full Romeo & Juliet.

Last edited:
received_515212346305208.jpeg

This young lady has no name yet. She's still not much more than a baby but is going to be part of a breeding project next year when I source an appropriate male. I already have several breeding age Leos so this will be a nice wee project, producing higher end geckos.

That is an awesome picture - I've never kept spiders so wouldn't have known what was going on without your explanation - thank you!

I feel like his name needs an explanation. :D

I had named him Escobar. A friend thought I'd said Estevez and was confused as to why I'd named it after the actor. We got into a well natured argument and I called the spider Fucking Estevez, which kinda stuck.

Rabbits successfully rebonded for 24 hours now, and no flying fur. This is a huge relief, as I don't have to hurdle the baby gate to move around the flat, and it is lovely to see them back interacting so happily again.

But that's the practical aspect. Having a flat that doesn't have a DMZ in the middle of it, even after this short time, and where, when I go to do something, I am followed by two eager bunnies on the constant ear'ole, is proving a constant delight.

Not quite so delightful is their 2am foraging amongst the quantities of unsorted stuff in my bedroom to find ways into the dark corners they like to lurk in: I got up in the small hours to turf them out and I shut the bedroom door, just so as I could actually GET SOME BLOODY SLEEP :D. But it's worth it when I get up to two rabbits doing cartwheels and top hat'n'cane routines to persuade me to feed them. Priceless :)

Back
Top Bottom