Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

scientists piss about with genes, making sure only desired sex is born

Looking at the details of the process it's not something that will ever get ethical approval for human use. You couldn't use it to choose the sex of your own kids anyway. Or you could, but only by permanently altering your own genome, and in a way which if it goes wrong could prevent you from ever having any children at all.

TLDR version: OP is a load of bollocks.

Perhaps. I don't know the economics of it, but there are chicken sexers which decide if a chick is going to be male or female, at that age there is little to tell between them so they don't always get it right. I expect if they could guarantee female it could be worth something divided by the hundreds of thousands of chicks they deal with ..
Humans chicken sexers are 98% accurate. This early machine learning system to sex eggs before hatching is 89% accurate:

You could always let the male chicks grow then use them as food.
I thought that too but apparently they're on about layer hens which aren't really suitable for consumption (though I suspect they probably end up in something like dog food at the end of their useful lives, or being adopted by Meghan Markle). Meat chickens are completely different breeds. Male layers are useless either for egg laying or eating.

Back
Top Bottom