Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruskin Park: south London park between Brixton, Camberwell and Denmark Hill

Realised I used to go here as a small kid in the late 80s for a treat or break whilst I was having treatment at one of the hospitals down the road. Enjoyed reading the thread

Today's walk

In photos: Ruskin Park on a cold, snowy afternoon

In photos: Ruskin Park on a cold, snowy afternoon

There's a proposal for a pop-up thing, at the bandstand, over the summer.

NB that this is for 5 days a week for more than 4 months.

Organisers are seeking approval from Lambeth for an open-access, “performance-led pop-up” called the Open Arms occupying Ruskin Park Bandstand for 5 afternoons and evenings a week from 29th April to 12th September 2021, Covid restrictions permitting.

“With a Culture Recovery Grant, they will be looking to celebrate and support the rich pool of talent living within the borough. They will provide a stage for local performance in the midst of rapid venue closures. Alongside a food and beverage offer.”

As far as I can make out this is a commercial proposal. Stands selling food and drink. The performers don't get paid. The bandstand is there anyway and it is frequently used, either informally by small groups doing various activities, or for low key musical events, sometimes organised and sometimes not really.

The bandstand and the area around it are part of the public park. It's not there for Lambeth to sweat revenue from. Also, Ruskin Park is already under quite heavy pressure from the increased use its seen through the pandemic.

I don't really get why a stage for local performance in the midst of rapid venue closures is presented as a positive. Once summer arrives, and maybe some of the restrictions are lifted, and venues are struggling but might have outdoor spaces that are already licenced for this kind of thing, why encourage people to go to pop-up events in a public park instead?

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 19.23.36.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 19.25.11.jpg

Yeah that seems over the top.
I think folks should take heed of what's happened in Brockwell park where we end up with steel walls and things. It's an important matter of principle that public parks aren't assets to be sweated for (probably minimal) cash. The past year has made clear how valuable public open spaces are.

I think it might be an appropriate circumstance to talk about the "thin end of the wedge".

I think it could have been fun.
Which part, the music bit or the pub-in-the-park bit?

I think there will still be some music events like there usually are, but they won't be encircled by a commercial drinking operation which is not really what public parks are supposed to be for. And presumably any pubs that have outdoor areas will be looking to get as much custom as they can this summer, in an attempt to survive.

Which part, the music bit or the pub-in-the-park bit?

I think there will still be some music events like there usually are, but they won't be encircled by a commercial drinking operation which is not really what public parks are supposed to be for. And presumably any pubs that have outdoor areas will be looking to get as much custom as they can this summer, in an attempt to survive.

Both the music and the pub in the park bits. As a soon-to-be father, it would have been really nice to be able to get my friends over to Ruskin and be able to sit outside with our baby and have a few drinks and listen to some music. It's exactly what public parks are for, it would only have been a tiny part of the park. What do you think public parks are for?

And I don't think the pubs with gardens are going to be struggling to pull in punters this summer.

Both the music and the pub in the park bits. As a soon-to-be father, it would have been really nice to be able to get my friends over to Ruskin and be able to sit outside with our baby and have a few drinks and listen to some music. It's exactly what public parks are for, it would only have been a tiny part of the park. What do you think public parks are for?

And I don't think the pubs with gardens are going to be struggling to pull in punters this summer.
I really liked the idea of people being able to watch live music in the park - after all, it's what bandstands were built for - but I think 5 days a week for five months was really too much.

You'll still be able to do all of that won't you? No one is going to stop you bringing picnics and drinks in.

There might be a less intensive programme of music on offer but there's quite often stuff going on at the bandstand, some of it formally organised and some of it impromptu. Sat around there having picnics several times last summer with various bands doing stuff in the bandstand.

The proposal was for something that would have set up a load of food and drink huts, portaloos and so on, on the grassy areas around the bandstand. And it would inevitably have attracted an additional load of people who might otherwise be spending their time in a pub garden. That is, additional to the people who regularly use the park and live in the surrounding area. Like most parks it's already suffering from unusually intensive use. I think we'd have ended up with a large area of completely trampled ground around the bandstand which would then take a long time to recover.

Something that just went on for one weekend or so would have been different. But this was proposed to be there for months on end. It's basically handing over public space for someone to build a temporary pub on and make a load of cash from it. The park, including the existing life around the bandstand, is already enjoyed by lots of people. This wasn't bringing anything of benefit to people that use the park regularly and for whom it provides local amenity space.

You'll still be able to do all of that won't you? No one is going to stop you bringing picnics and drinks in.

There might be a less intensive programme of music on offer but there's quite often stuff going on at the bandstand, some of it formally organised and some of it impromptu. Sat around there having picnics several times last summer with various bands doing stuff in the bandstand.

The proposal was for something that would have set up a load of food and drink huts, portaloos and so on, on the grassy areas around the bandstand. And it would inevitably have attracted an additional load of people who might otherwise be spending their time in a pub garden. That is, additional to the people who regularly use the park and live in the surrounding area. Like most parks it's already suffering from unusually intensive use. I think we'd have ended up with a large area of completely trampled ground around the bandstand which would then take a long time to recover.

Something that just went on for one weekend or so would have been different. But this was proposed to be there for months on end. It's basically handing over public space for someone to build a temporary pub on and make a load of cash from it. The park, including the existing life around the bandstand, is already enjoyed by lots of people. This wasn't bringing anything of benefit to people that use the park regularly and for whom it provides local amenity space.

I agree. There's nothing to stop the new dads going to the park now that this is not going ahead.

This was going to be for 5 months, for 5 days from 12 noon to 9.30pm at night. The area requested by the organizers was not a 'tiny bit of the park' but a fair whack of the area around the bandstand, taking in the former works area, right up to the nature pond and stretching beyond the close proximity of the bandstand. It was also going to be fenced off and ticketed, so was privatizing public space. Ruskin Park, by Lambeth council's admission, is a difficult space to access for removal of waste, with very few ingress and egress areas and this was a key concern.

No it wasn't going to be ticketed, of course anyone would be against it if that was the case.

And you're being dramatic about the amount of space:

1618501601462.png

No it wasn't going to be ticketed, of course anyone would be against it if that was the case.

And you're being dramatic about the amount of space:

View attachment 263428
You may want to use the plan that was submitted by the Open Arms on 26 February for permission, rather than the one dated 16 Feb which you've pasted from above. It's a bigger foot print and therefore begins to encroach further into the park.

That's just a move of the food and drinks kiosk in response to initial concerns, wasn't it? And I still don't see anything about it being ticketed. Either way, what's done is done but I still think it's a pity.

I’d like to hear all kinds of music coming from that bandstand for the next 5 months all day long but don’t think I could be arsed with the food stalls and craft beer dealers. Can’t musicians just rock up and start playing? It’s mostly used by personal trainers and their clients at the moment, which is not a pleasant sight.

Back
Top Bottom