Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruskin Park: south London park between Brixton, Camberwell and Denmark Hill

Hello

Just a reminder that the Ruskin Park Summer Fete is taking place on Saturday (24th June) from 1pm to 6pm. Details below. Also, if anyone fancies helping out on the day we are still looking for volunteers.

feteposter2017final_2.jpg

Ruskin Park Fete Saturday 24th June - Friends of Ruskin Park

Hope to see you there!

Also, we are no longer charging for membership of Friends of Ruskin Park. This is because we want to encourage as many people as possible to take part in our activities, without any financial barrier. Of course we still need donations for our running costs and things like the paddling pool and other improvements we want to fund in the park, but giving time is as important as giving money. If anyone would like to join you can do so at www.friendsofruskinpark.org.uk/join

Thanks
Chris

Dear all,

We will be ploughing up an area of the park in order to sow tall heritage wheat with shire horses, Heath and Nobby and ploughman Tom Nixon from Operation Centaur tomorrow morning, Friday starting around 11:30am. The wheat area is up the hill from the bandstand along the Ferndene Road side.

yours
Andy Forbes
Secretary Brockwell Bake Association
I've got a post going up on Buzz tomorrow and have changed the times from the original press release. Hope it goes well!

Hi everyone

After two years of successfully running the paddling pool in Ruskin Park with the help of volunteers and a local business sponsor, we have a gap in funding again and need to raise at least £5,000 to cover costs in 2018 and 2019.

Obviously this isn't an ideal long term solution, but if anyone is able to donate we have a Crowdfunder at www.crowdfunder.co.uk/ruskin-park-paddling-pool

Volunteers will be gathering for a campaign photo by the paddling pool (and our new mural on a neighbouring house) this Sunday at 11am if anyone wants to come along! We will do a big push after that on social media, etc.

Thanks

Chris
Friends of Ruskin Park

Great to see the paddling pool packed out with families all weekend

Northway Road entrance to the park is closest to the paddling pool
Parking restrictions 12-2 weekdays (not weekends or bank holidays)
Always busy with visiting families parking there
Parking restrictions currently in place for 'utilities work' - just outside the entrance (yellow signs on lampposts)
No sign of 'utilities work' going on today - why should there be? It's a bank holiday

However, busy day for a Lambeth 'traffic enforcement officer' lurking around Northway and whacking out the tickets
All on cars of visiting families

I remonstrated as politely as my temper would allow - 'officer' informed me that 'restrictions apply and are in force' and gave me a shrug to say 'i don't make the rules' ... but bet it helped hit targets for 'ticket distribution'

So a bunch of families who've visited for a great afternoon out at a facility Lambeth don't want to pay for are greeted by a parking ticket and fine that will go to Lambeth

Nothing on any of the yellow signs to say restrictions apply on weekends and bank holidays - so it's unclear

Fucking fucking wankers you are Lambeth. Shame on you.

Great to see the paddling pool packed out with families all weekend

Northway Road entrance to the park is closest to the paddling pool
Parking restrictions 12-2 weekdays (not weekends or bank holidays)
Always busy with visiting families parking there
Parking restrictions currently in place for 'utilities work' - just outside the entrance (yellow signs on lampposts)
No sign of 'utilities work' going on today - why should there be? It's a bank holiday

However, busy day for a Lambeth 'traffic enforcement officer' lurking around Northway and whacking out the tickets
All on cars of visiting families

I remonstrated as politely as my temper would allow - 'officer' informed me that 'restrictions apply and are in force' and gave me a shrug to say 'i don't make the rules' ... but bet it helped hit targets for 'ticket distribution'

So a bunch of families who've visited for a great afternoon out at a facility Lambeth don't want to pay for are greeted by a parking ticket and fine that will go to Lambeth

Nothing on any of the yellow signs to say restrictions apply on weekends and bank holidays - so it's unclear

Fucking fucking wankers you are Lambeth. Shame on you.

If parking is suspended, then parking is suspended whether it's a bank holiday or not.

I'm also note sure why people need to drive to park at a park, when it's well served by trains, buses and in the case of Ruskin park, it's on a walking route.

I guess until you ban cars in zone 2 london, people are going to use them - for 'justifiable' reasons or otherwise

perhaps mobility issues means that trains, buses and walking routes aren't options

Anyone know if the parks department have finally carried out their threat not to lock Ruskin Park at night?

On Tuesday I happened to pop in to the Fox on the Hill, and on leaving the pub about 9.45 pm noticed the park was not locked. I was able to walk through to Northway Road and thence home - a tremendous convenience saving 10-15 minutes.

Of course had the Northway Road gate been locked I'd have got a hernia climbing over it. Hence my question for future reference.

Anyone know if the parks department have finally carried out their threat not to lock Ruskin Park at night?

On Tuesday I happened to pop in to the Fox on the Hill, and on leaving the pub about 9.45 pm noticed the park was not locked. I was able to walk through to Northway Road and thence home - a tremendous convenience saving 10-15 minutes.

Of course had the Northway Road gate been locked I'd have got a hernia climbing over it. Hence my question for future reference.
carry a small stepladder in future, so it won't matter if they lock the gates

according to Ruskin Park | Lambeth Council it closes 15 minutes before sunset, so surprised you found it open. but pleased. surprised but pleased.

Unless it's a very recent change, my observations would indicate that it is still locked each night, but quite often it doesn't get locked until a while after the official time.

It's still locked at night although the hours are erratic. I got locked in once last year coming back from a night Hamlet game but managed to scramble over the fence without trouser rippage.

Back
Top Bottom