Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruskin Park: south London park between Brixton, Camberwell and Denmark Hill

Grim day today...

miserable-ruskin-park-01.jpg

miserable-ruskin-park-05.jpg

miserable-ruskin-park-09.jpg

Ruskin Park on a miserable wet afternoon, Mon 10th June 2019 – photos

Sad news, the enormous oak bough crossing the path near the Finsen Road gate has finally come down. Looks like it may have snapped before being part dismantled by the tree surgeons ...

View attachment 182490
Hi. I can confirm that's what happened. A large fracture was developing (making quite a bit of noise) and the tree surgeons managed to attend fairly quickly, but unfortunately this work was the best option to limit the damage.

Chris
Friends of Ruskin Park

Hi. I can confirm that's what happened. A large fracture was developing (making quite a bit of noise) and the tree surgeons managed to attend fairly quickly, but unfortunately this work was the best option to limit the damage.

Chris
Friends of Ruskin Park
I went past it last week:

tree.jpg

:(

Just noticed this thread. I came by train from East London with my two-year old to visit Ruskin Park. Was really impressed by the paddling pool. Its the best I've seen anywhere in London so far. Its a lovely park.

Chris
Friends of Ruskin Park

It always had that rare gravity and logic-defying characteristic of really old oaks, that always reminded you that the park was designed around the tree rather than the other way round. My kids have grown up climbing and swinging on that bough, and I'm sure generations of others too

Just noticed this thread. I came by train from East London with my two-year old to visit Ruskin Park. Was really impressed by the paddling pool. Its the best I've seen anywhere in London so far. Its a lovely park.
Glad you enjoyed it. We're winding it up now for the year, after a lot of volunteer effort to keep it full and clean. It's a really special place.

I know is probably old news in Ruskin Park, but I noticed the new Steel Warriors gym when I was there this weekend: Steel Warriors gym launched in Ruskin Park

From what I gather it's made up from the recycled metal taken from knives seized on the streets. There are a couple of photos in google: Google Maps

I personally think it's a great idea.

It seems to be getting well used - people in it every time I've gone past in the last week or two.

I know is probably old news in Ruskin Park, but I noticed the new Steel Warriors gym when I was there this weekend: Steel Warriors gym launched in Ruskin Park

From what I gather it's made up from the recycled metal taken from knives seized on the streets. There are a couple of photos in google: Google Maps

I personally think it's a great idea.
What a brilliant initiative and a welcome change from all the pricey new commercial gyms moving into the area.

Buzzed: Anti-knife charity builds Steel Warriors open air free gym in Ruskin Park

So... recently some marker posts have appeared around the park perimeter implying that the loop is 2km long.

But it's not :hmm:

It's about 1.8 or 1.9.

Back
Top Bottom