Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Royal Mail sale around the corner?

I sometimes wonder about Tory MPs and whether what they say is deliberately false or whether they're so well indoctrinated that they believe their own shite. Did anyone see this question come up on question time last night? There was a bit where two or three of the panel were talking over each other and I heard Justine Greening say 'Yeah, and with privatisation we can all own it.' We already fucking own it you daft bint! Surely she knows this already and is just pushing the neo lib propaganda that private is best, we can all own a piece and blah de fucking blah or perhaps she just doesn't see it that way and thinks state owned = tax payers being mugged? Perhaps it's a little from column and a little from column b but I found her comment absurd, I was more surprised that not one person challenged it.

...or perhaps she just doesn't see it that way and thinks state owned = tax payers being mugged?

I'm sure I've posted this up before, but I do love a bit of graphage, and this one seems relevant.

UK Deficit vs Gross Operating Surplus.png

Basically, if you fail to invest in public industries, you reduce your revenue flows and in turn add to the deficit. This is what annoys me about the the whole debate surrounding public spending; whether or not borrowing to spend is bad depends on what you spend that money on (just imagine a business that refused to borrow money to expand production; it would most likely fail). I mean fuck, business folk are constantly complaining about how the banks aren't lending, and the Tories want to make it easier for people to get mortgages. Just goes to show how privatisation is pure ideology rather than sound economics.

eta: my rudimentary understanding of national accounting might make this entire post a load of old cobblers. Criticism welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The strike action being balloted on by the CWU was never about stopping privatisation, although one result of industrial action might be to make buying shares less attractive to potential buyers.
The purpose of the proposed industrial action is to secure ongoing guarantees on pensions, wages, and terms and conditions of staff.

Read it as if i had put an 'a' before strike. And like it or not, the posties are seeing the ongoing ballot as clearly a vote on how to respond to privatisation - that is, guarantees on pensions, wages, and terms and conditions of staff.

Bad bad move, as logistics and deliveries in the age of internet buying is gonna be one of the biggest potential growth areas.
The Royal Mail was in a prime position to invest and already has the best infrastructure to capitalise on this.
Now all the money which would have been reinvested will go straight into shareholders pockets and customers will be mugged for a ever declining service.
See buses, trains, water, energy all over inflated prices for customers and declining service.
It's all so thoroughly depressing and benefits so few people I can't see why it KEEPS fucking happening. :facepalm:
Politicians (of any colour it seems) are fucking raping the fuck out of this country for their own personal gain.

See buses, trains, water, energy all over inflated prices for customers and declining service.
It's all so thoroughly depressing and benefits so few people I can't see why it KEEPS fucking happening. :facepalm:
Yes, it's THEFT. Politicians dance to the tune of their money-juggling-parasite puppeteers.
Many of these strategically important utilities are controlled by foreign interests now, so we can probably add Treason to the charge-sheet too.

Last edited:
The trouble is the vast majority out there don't care, they live in a daydream thinking it is not their problem.
I currently work in a place where young men in their twenties and thirties will be looking forward to buying Royal Mail shares to add to their portfolios, for fuck's sake they are like me, tuppenny shit maintenance workers.
They cannot/will not listen to my case, they are more concerned about their share options than their children's education and welfare.
Thatcher's legacy, there is no such thing as society and they care only for themselves. Diabolical.

was collecting a parcel for ma last week and asked the blokey if he was in the union and if he would vote to strike if balloted. His response was 'Yeah I am but whats the point, they always sell us out anyway'

to which I had no pithy reply whatsoever. I did say that as a customer I think service is good if the workers are treated right and even if its just token he should strike. There was a queue tho so I didn't pursue that particular piece of agitation.

Unfortunately we will never get anywere in stopping spivisation by relying on the three main parties as they are now just different sides of the same bankster/fatcat friendly coin and have been for decades :mad:

In the US, the Post Office is protected by the constitution. The so-called "postal clause" which gives Congress the implied authority to carry, deliver, and regulate the mails of the United States as a whole. The kind of ideologues who would privatise everything tend to regard the constitution as a kind of holy relic and notwithstanding the palaver of getting it changed tend to leave well alone. Without a written constitution, Parliament can pretty much do what it likes which is unfortunate for the Royal Mail. Interestingly (for me, at least), the Post Office here will be unaffected by the latest shenanigans on the Hill. All its funding comes from the cost of postage.

Does this decision mean that any other institutions sharing the adjective are likely to be privatised in an attempt to end state subsidy?

Its going to take 280 odd days for a note from the Queen to get from London to Glasgow, they have to do something to sort the post out

...as if by magic...

Royal Mail has warned that more postal workers will lose their jobs following its controversial privatisation. On Tuesday the 500-year-old national institution saw unprecedented demand for its share offer, with more than 1 million people thought to have applied. In its written submission to parliament on Wednesday, Royal Mail said: "The company will employ fewer people in the future, whoever owns it."

The company refused to state how many of Royal Mail's 150,000 employees will be axed.

Moya Greene, Royal Mail's chief executive, who was paid £1.6m last year, has said the company needs to be "sized appropriately for the [declining] traffic we have to process".
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/09/royal-mail-warns-thousands-job-losses

The radio said that if the price goes up just a bit it will be in the FTSE100 which will trigger lots of institutions buying it for their tracker funds and likely drive the price even higher.

So who's buying shares then? Looks like private investors will only be getting £750 plus one seventh of what they asked for due to over-susbscription. :(

Where's me coat?

So who's buying shares then? Looks like private investors will only be getting £750 plus one seventh of what they asked for due to over-susbscription. :(

Where's me coat?

The continued rolling-out of the thatcherite 'dream'. All those sacked posties as shareholders. Who says she's dead?

Over 35% now

Vince Cable rejects claims the company was undervalued so nothing to worry about there.

I liked Evan Davies' dig on Today about the flotation being all about rewarding tories (as the majority of their supporters are able to afford the £750 punt). Hearing Cable's pathetic justifications for this IPO was also entertaining -but only insofar as it reminding me just how utterly fucked the libdems are going to be come the next GE....

Back
Top Bottom