Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Robin Hood's tree now a stump (iconic tree at Hadrian's Wall)

By law, fallen timber is still the property of the landowner. This actually / supposedly prevents anyone picking up branches etc.

I think that means the National Trust own the tree ...

By law, fallen timber is still the property of the landowner. This actually / supposedly prevents anyone picking up branches etc.

I think that means the National Trust own the tree ...
Yes, it very much still belongs to the landowner. If the NT have any sense they'll have it carved into various things and auction them at a high profile fundraiser to milk money from rich people. Or maybe they can turn it into a large carving for the site, like that one in Brockwell Park. Then there will still be something for people to photograph themselves next to.

The tree might grow back OK from the stump, but with many stems. It could be managed to leave only one stem eventually but that would take a few years, and it will be 50 years before it is anything worth photographing. And it might not grow back that well because trees coppice better when started young. In such an exposed location it might really struggle.

Yes, it very much still belongs to the landowner. If the NT have any sense they'll have it carved into various things and auction them at a high profile fundraiser to milk money from rich people. Or maybe they can turn it into a large carving for the site, like that one in Brockwell Park. Then there will still be something for people to photograph themselves next to.

The tree might grow back OK from the stump, but with many stems. It could be managed to leave only one stem eventually but that would take a few years, and it will be 50 years before it is anything worth photographing. And it might not grow back that well because trees coppice better when started young. In such an exposed location it might really struggle.
i think it's well worth photographing now, even - particularly - in its truncated condition

Yes, She will try to regenerate, but the location isn't ideal. The wind really howls across that gap.

Thin stems are quite attractive to animals that nibble on trees.
and quite easy for "people" to snap off as "souvenirs"

Given its history and significance the felled tree will no doubt command a very high price on the auction sites. A nice classical guitar or two would be my preferential use of the inevitable sycamore planks - chaise longues being the furniture of choice for idiots like Rees Mogg. i wonder who is guarding it to see who will haul it away?

Morris liked a chaise longue. Good for upholstery textiles. Well the company did anyway, I think they probably slightly post-date Morris himself.

I wonder if they would actually season it and sell it. Tricky line to tread that...

Iconic trees are an odd one. I mean this specific tree stands out because the trees that were once around it are gone. The fact that it was iconic was at some point an intentional aesthetic or practical choice. It tells us as much about 19th century approaches to land management as anything.

i'm feeling a little calmer about this now. Still not happy, but more relaxed. The soothing balm of Urban good sense and humour can work wonders. Not to mention the half bottle of wine with my tin of pea soup and cheese bits.

i would still adore a hand built classical guitar made from the old Ent though..

Gossip on the tweets is that the 16yo is an ex NT apprentice who was sacked - he'd threatened to chop down the tree in revenge, and put it on Snapchat....

Could be total bollocks of course - but whatever, the tree wasn't felled by anyone who didn't have both serious equipment and knowledge..that's a big commercial chainsaw that's done that, not something you'd by from B&Q on a whim.

Gossip on the tweets is that the 16yo is an ex NT apprentice who was sacked - he'd threatened to chop down the tree in revenge, and put it on Snapchat....

Could be total bollocks of course - but whatever, the tree wasn't felled by anyone who didn't have both serious equipment and knowledge..that's a big commercial chainsaw that's done that, not something you'd by from B&Q on a whim.

Nice clean cut too.

Glad you posted that. It stops me posting my speculation that the youth's chainsaw proficiency pointed to a farming background.

Well, he wanted the pics for his CV, so it had to be.
my guess is that he will find alternative employment quite difficult even with a bonny CV. Self Employment may work for him in the short term, handing out promo leaflets on street corners: 'clean cut tree feller - ancient sycamore's a speciality'. Dickhead that he must be.

Back
Top Bottom