Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Robin Hood's tree now a stump (iconic tree at Hadrian's Wall)

The somewhat older "little 5h1te" that burned down the railway workshop at Ravenglass, tried to claim something similar [IIRC].
He still got a custodial sentence as it was pretty clear he was faking. He knew exactly what he was doing ...
He and his family ended up leaving the area as they became persona non grata.

The tree won't have been killed. My SiL's neighbour had a large sycamore tree in the back garden. It's seeds kept sprouting everywhere each year. Where they took hold and became saplings they were virtually impossible to kill. If cut down new growth would sprout from the stump.
Next year the same will happen with this tree. They grow really quickly too.

Would appear that the "Twice Brewed" the closest watering hole & microbrewery has an ale named "Sycamore Gap" the bottle label shows said iconic feature.

They're so pissed off that they've offered a £1,500 bar tab to anyone that fingers the mad axeman [chainsaw operator] and secures a conviction.
I might nip along tomorrow and add a few ££ cash to that.

Northumbria Police gave out "NP 20130928 - 0295" as the reference to quote if anyone has information for them on the matter.

I presume that's valid even if you want to go via Crimestoppers

The tree won't have been killed. My SiL's neighbour had a large sycamore tree in the back garden. It's seeds kept sprouting everywhere each year. Where they took hold and became saplings they were virtually impossible to kill. If cut down new growth would sprout from the stump.
Yeah my mum said the same thing earlier. Very hard to kill apparently.

Northumbria Police gave out "NP 20130928 - 0295" as the reference to quote if anyone has information for them on the matter.

I presume that's valid even if you want to go via Crimestoppers

TBF I imagine just saying ‘I know the wanker that cut that tree down” would do it…

In my experience coppicing only works well with younger specimens.
Much older trees seems to struggle more with regeneration, not that they can't do it.

In my experience coppicing only works well with younger specimens.
Much older trees seems to struggle more with regeneration, not that they can't do it.
Why would you want to coppice a tree that only became famous for being on its own not as part of a crowd. Why can't they replace it with a more appropriate tree and wait a couple of centuries?

i understand completely that things could be worse because the tree isn't actually killed. But optimism about this destructive act really doesn't do it for me. This magnificent iconic Ent had such significance for so many people. It was such a striking landmark for the area, and had a magical charm so powerful as to make it irresistable for lovers, families, friends, hikers, strollers, bikers and so on and so on. For me It had earned its historic significance, and it stood as a proud reminder of our social and ecological responsibilities in an age of catastrophe for the natural world. This fucked up destructive act is just another indicator of all that goes wrong when we turn our backs on our responsibilities to our communities and neighbours.

Why would you want to coppice a tree that only became famous for being on its own not as part of a crowd. Why can't they replace it with a more appropriate tree and wait a couple of centuries?
I didn't want it coppiced/cut down or vandalised.

Replacing it could be a bit of a complicated exercise, it's not as if you could just dig a hole and transplant a specimen as you could in a normal parkland setting.

I would put solid money on the tenant farmer having repeatedly asked the NT, as well as the NP and the council, for help in dealing with the tourism impact, but getting nowhere
Not saying they're like this everywhere but tbf, the tenant farmer I know on National Trust property right by a local beauty spot in a different national park has always found both the NT and NP people to be pretty supportive and helpful afaik.

Not saying they're like this everywhere but tbf, the tenant farmer I know on National Trust property right by a local beauty spot in a different national park has always found both the NT and NP people to be pretty supportive and helpful afaik.

Sadly mine is different - Lakes and Yorkshire Dales - both were an absolute nightmare. Far more demanding, and far less helpful, than commercial landlords.

I didn't want it coppiced/cut down or vandalised.

Replacing it could be a bit of a complicated exercise, it's not as if you could just dig a hole and transplant a specimen as you could in a normal parkland setting.

I don't know anything about replacing trees, what makes this situation more complicated?

Depends a bit on the local situation.

Around here the National Trust are also constrained by World Heritage / UNESCO and the local National Park.

The latter's planning department can be rather strict on their interpretation of "The Rules" - I know as we've crossed swords a couple or three times.
Although how the ***k they gave themselves permission for The Sill beggars belief - a truly ugly building.

I don't know anything about replacing trees, what makes this situation more complicated?
The location primarily, meaning high level of difficulty for access and within feet, literally, of Hadrian's Wall.
also the local rock is Whinstone - which is very hard / erosion resistant, and the soil is very thin so the rock is very close to the surface.

So, to replace a tree with something old enough to have grown to more than a whippy twig you have to dig a hole big enough for the rootball.
For a semi-mature tree, that equates to the diameter of the canopy.

You then have to dig up the new tree [there's a massive machine that does that] and transport it to the new location - whilst keeping the root ball from drying out. Did I mention that there isn't much in the way of a road access / around the site ?
What route there is, is also within the "protected area"

Next, you have to physically plant it, provide support against wind & frost rock, not to mention the local animal life that might try and eat it and finally supply water for some time [in case there's a lack of rain].

E2A - when they did some work on the paths for the Hadrian's Wall Trail in this area - the one ton dumpy bags were delivered using a helicopter !

Last edited:
The most likely outcome is they will plant a sapling - something more substantial than a whip but just a couple of metres max.

Luckily sycamores are fast growing, so if all goes well will be photogenic within a couple of decades.

The most likely outcome is they will plant a sapling - something more substantial than a whip but just a couple of metres max.

Luckily sycamores are fast growing, so if all goes well will be photogenic within a couple of decades.
IIRC there's already a potential replacement growing nearby.

e2a I've got a variagated Acer in the garden. I know when I planted that, will measure it tomorrow, to get the growth rate,

This fuckin free market society has no respect for anything that hasn't a bottom line attached to it. Imbecilic behaviour at every turn. All the focus seems to be on this or that device, which fuckin idiot on the screen ought to be listened to, and how much insult or hurt can be heaped upon people with a different origin or sexual preference. The joy of ambling through woodland and skinnydipping to cool off or nicking a few apples or plumbs is confined to history books and memory. i do know that many bad things happened when we inhabited a simpler age, so i aint completely rosy in my choice of spectacles. But i'm still well fucked off..

What William Morris would have made of this obnoxious shithole we have created i cannot imagine.

Dunno about the obnoxious shithole we have created, but the tree probably a nice sideboard and a couple of chaise longues.

Dunno about the obnoxious shithole we have created, but the tree probably a nice sideboard and a couple of chaise longues.
Given its history and significance the felled tree will no doubt command a very high price on the auction sites. A nice classical guitar or two would be my preferential use of the inevitable sycamore planks - chaise longues being the furniture of choice for idiots like Rees Mogg. i wonder who is guarding it to see who will haul it away?

Back
Top Bottom