Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Robin Hood's tree now a stump (iconic tree at Hadrian's Wall)

I wish people would stop with this "century" business altogether whenever someone says "the 1400s" instead of "the 15th century" I have to stop and think "is that the 1400s or the 1600s? :confused:"

I mean, I disagree. We called the first decade of the 20th Century the nineteen hundreds.

I know people lost the plot with the millenium and started saying two thousand, but they were wrong then and they’re wrong now.
Twenty hundred and one: a space odyssey doesn't have the same ring to it :hmm:

Maybe that amount represents - or includes - the cost of clearing up after the vandalism.

I suppose you could estimate the £££ that visitors spend in the area, and assume a % of those will not visit this year because the tree isn't there - speculating here that fans of Kevin Costner / Robin Hood might be in this list.

I haven't yet noticed any difference.
The local micro-brewery has a product named after the gap / tree, and it was selling well during the last couple of visits I've made to their eponymous hostelry [Twice Brewed]

Maybe that amount represents - or includes - the cost of clearing up after the vandalism.

I suppose you could estimate the £££ that visitors spend in the area, and assume a % of those will not visit this year because the tree isn't there - speculating here that fans of Kevin Costner / Robin Hood might be in this list.

I haven't yet noticed any difference.
The local micro-brewery has a product named after the gap / tree, and it was selling well during the last couple of visits I've made to their eponymous hostelry [Twice Brewed]
You'd probably calculate this using frameworks related to ecosystem services. These basically allow you to put a monetary value on all the services the tree provides, from carbon absorption to biodiversity to recreation, tourism and cultural value.

This approach is often criticised for putting monetary values on stuff which is beyond simple finances, but does at least allow you to capture a wide range of values a tree or environment provides. Which is far more than the average person tends to think.

You'd probably calculate this using frameworks related to ecosystem services. These basically allow you to put a monetary value on all the services the tree provides, from carbon absorption to biodiversity to recreation, tourism and cultural value.

This approach is often criticised for putting monetary values on stuff which is beyond simple finances, but does at least allow you to capture a wide range of values a tree or environment provides. Which is far more than the average person tends to think.

This is true, but I'm not sure that the ecological value of a single sycamore tree is that great, even one that's over 200 years old, given that sycamore is a non native species.

I would guess that it's been valued so highly because of its iconic status as a result of being, somewhat anachronistically, in a film about Robin Hood.

Shit. Sheffield council must be almost bankrupt with what they owe.

Attachments

• 1718807509036.png
    1718807509036.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
There must be consequences! Attacks by the wealthy on trees in US increasing: Attacks on their neighbor's trees, mind you!

Munitions company CEO who cut down NJ neighbor's trees fined $13,000​

I expect 13k is small change to a CEO of a munitions company though.

I expect 13k is small change to a CEO of a munitions company though.
Exactly my point. When that first happened, the headlines said he could be fined a million $ or more...,

In the Maine story, the privileged ones' efforts to poison their neighbor's trees caused a local eco-disaster...

Back
Top Bottom