Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rise of the Nazis - BBC2, starts 9pm Mon 2nd Sept ‘19

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
A three parter on the rise of the Nazis starts on BBC2 tonight at 9pm. I’m afraid I don’t know which or even whether historians have acted as consultant on this, or whether it’ll be any good.

I’ve seen trailers, and there seem to be dramatic reconstructions. The voice over talked of “one man changing the course of history”, which is a bit of an alarm bell, but may just be sales hyperbole.

I’ll have a look at the first one anyway.

I think the benchmark for me and many others was set by Laurence Rees Nazis: A Warning From History, with Ian Kershaw as consultant.
I will watch this because it will no doubt have material from studies that have emerged since Nazis, but also it has resonance today.

Last edited:
I didn’t catch who the consultant was: it flashed past while I was interacting with the dog. But my fears were somewhat correct: far too much emphasis on Schleicher’s individual agency/influence on events. It seemed to imply that if it hadn’t been for Schleicher none of the following would have happened. I really don’t think that’s the case. History isn’t about one person making one decision. It’s about confluences of social tides.

As our historians take us through the biggest events of the period, from the Wall Street Crash to the backstairs dealings of the 1930 election, from the brutal Night of the Long Knives to Hitler becoming the all-powerful Führer of Germany - we highlight the incremental decisions and missed warning signs that could have prevented the rise of the Nazis.

Warning signs eh? How could we have known?

People still do that?

Yep, it's easier to set a series to record via the Freesat TV guide, and have every episode 'drop into my inbox', rather than fluffing about with iPlayer & remembering to go back and watch the latest episode.

Plus I can keep anything 'special' on my Freesat box for as long as I like.

Actually the historians involved are top-rate... I will give it a go... Not sure how Ash Sarkar got a slot on it though..

I'm sure Sir Richard Evans will be voicing his opinion on twitter sooner or later if he thinks the end product is pants..

I was asked on to talk about Ernst Thälmann, Stalinism and the red-brown alliance - so I did.
I admire chutzpah but this is silly. On a not entirely unrelated note, surely communists have enough to get Sajid Javid on without going for the race traitor angle.

There's a weird focus on lawyers and the reichstag fire bit was vague enough in order to create inside job vibes. Sarkar's spoofery was horribly exposed.

Back
Top Bottom