Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remembering Cardiff's old clubs: Montys, Smileys, Moon, Revolution, Top Rank...

in75vn.jpg

I haven't been to the new Moon club yet but I'm sure it'll be rather posh compared to the original!

Anyone remember the old Taff Vale pub close to the Capital?
Taff Vale was next to Marks & Spencer - upstairs where Ruby was the barmaid.
Thankfully the Moon Club on Womanby St is in the best tradition of the old Mill Lane version (but with better fire precautions maybe)

Hello. I used to go to Monty's, Smiley's, The Moon Club and the Casablanca. I think there were a few other places too. I was just looking for footage of the Casablanca Club when I came across this thread. I don't think a week goes by when I don't tell somebody about the Casablanca Club. I wonder what happened to the 2 guys that ran it Carl and Vaughan? I think I was about 15 we I started going there. Cardiff docks was supposed to be dodgy, I never had any grief off anyone. I wish I could go back there.

Hello. I used to go to Monty's, Smiley's, The Moon Club and the Casablanca. I think there were a few other places too. I was just looking for footage of the Casablanca Club when I came across this thread. I don't think a week goes by when I don't tell somebody about the Casablanca Club. I wonder what happened to the 2 guys that ran it Carl and Vaughan? I think I was about 15 we I started going there. Cardiff docks was supposed to be dodgy, I never had any grief off anyone. I wish I could go back there.
you are obviously referring to carl and vaughan johnson carl lives in london and the other one is a cab driver. Do you remember the theme tune to the casablanca it was hard work by john handy check it out may bring back some fond memories my cousins husband john gray was the DJ with some great tunes ahhhhh happy days

this was the first night club I ever went to when I was about 15 live band druggies in the toilet (those that made it up the stairs) I was a weekly visitor after that it was only 50p to get in but closed at one oclock so we would get the last hour of smileys it was a £1 to get in there but because we were late comers they always let us in for nothing, got my first taste of beer in the moon newcastle brown from a bottle score smoe weed smoke s few joints listen to live music. when the band warned you the police were in you kept a low profile happy happy days im 51 now and long gone from cardiff but some things you never forget

that is amazing! cheers
mrs reckoned she signed the petition and recognised a few in the film

worked at horse and groom facing clwb ifor bwach also worked at market tavern used to know the tall dark bouncer from clwb used to let us in free after work regular at twat on Sunday nights and hippo club when I wasn't working 1995-1998 also went to UWIC anyone is free to get in touch specially people who knew me!! International days at horse and groom were awesome!!!

worked at horse and groom facing clwb ifor bwach also worked at market tavern used to know the tall dark bouncer from clwb used to let us in free after work regular at twat on Sunday nights and hippo club when I wasn't working 1995-1998 also went to UWIC anyone is free to get in touch specially people who knew me!! International days at horse and groom were awesome!!!

Hi, if you worked at he Hippo then I must know you :)

Pete sadly died a few weeks ago, there's a load of us old hippo heads on facebook here Hippo Club Cardiff...I was there and loved it!!! public group | Facebook

I have just been talking with Andy Franklin, (and his new young lady this afternoon) and yeah, he still remembers getting really pissed off with those dickheads who broke his spec's.
I have just been talking with Andy Franklin, (and his new young lady this afternoon) and yeah, he still remembers getting really pissed off with those dickheads who broke his spec's.
Happy Birthday Mate !:D:hmm::thumbs:

Someone needs to mention Toucan when it was by the taff. Good times listening to funk bands on a Friday. My first ever dj'ing gig :)

Just stumbled across this forum. Damn, the memories....

I was at the old Reardon-Smith maritime college out in Fleetwood from '73 - '77, and haunted several of the clubs mentioned. I remember going to Monty's because they waived the cover if you had a Students Union card. Top Rank on Thursday for 'grab a granny night :).

I first met my wife in a basement wine club near Monty's, whose name escapes me, when her best friend set her hair on fire with one of the candles in a bottle. Eventually proposed to her downstairs at the Philharmonic. Used to go to the Revolution till I got 86'd after a fight. (which was NOT my fault!)

I've lived in the States for years now, but still remember those days.

I first met my wife in a basement wine club near Monty's, whose name escapes me, when her best friend set her hair on fire with one of the candles in a bottle. Eventually proposed to her downstairs at the Philharmonic. Used to go to the Revolution till I got 86'd after a fight. (which was NOT my fault!)

I've lived in the States for years now, but still remember those days.

Apart from your first wifes name

Dempseys is shutting. Just heard this weekend.
Conflicted about this. Not particularly upset that another plastic paddy pub is shutting, I much preferred it as the Four Bars. However it looks like it might be turning into some sort of fine dining thing instead, leaving the city another pub short. There are no longer any pubs left in Riverside - a backpackers hostel is the closest thing left

Back
Top Bottom