Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Refugee crisis. Something on the scale of the Marshall plan required?

_85336609_mail.jpg

The hypocrisy.

Mind you, one has to wonder how Germany is going to house 800,000 new people this year?

You're kidding, right?
There are large towns and cities in the former east running at about 60-80% of the population capacity they had in '89 (last time Greebo and I were there, there was a prog on Cottbus where the burgermeister compared the place to a "ghost-town"), with mothballed public housing that can be brought back into use cheaply and quickly. Even in terms of dispersal, there are enough former military barracks to set up a Germany-wide system of transit camps.

You're kidding, right?
There are large towns and cities in the former east running at about 60-80% of the population capacity they had in '89 (last time Greebo and I were there, there was a prog on Cottbus where the burgermeister compared the place to a "ghost-town"), with mothballed public housing that can be brought back into use cheaply and quickly. Even in terms of dispersal, there are enough former military barracks to set up a Germany-wide system of transit camps.
Yes, if you had read the thread VP you would see that Greebo had already pointed this out and I had agreed with her.

You're kidding, right?

not disputing what you say, or suggesting that it should not be done, but doesn't Germany have a problem that while it has a great deal of housing and facilities in the East going spare, what it doesn't have going spare in the East is jobs...

this arrangement is fine if Germany is talking about temporary support to people who will, in time, either go west or return to their home countries, but if the suggestion is that Germany should put 800,000 into place with few jobs, and then another 800,000 the year after ad nausuem, and immagining them staying there, then its just filling the East with greater unemployment - which of course will have follow on consequences.

i'm not suggestting that such a fate is worse than geing in Syria, or spending your life in a railway station in Hungary, but its not a panacea.

A lot of the old GDR is underpopulated and is crying out for people of working and childbearing/childraising age to work in areas where a scary proportion of the locals are either too old or too ill to work. Plenty of empty or near empty housing in those areas too, the problem will be finding the money for integration (mostly language and conversion of qualifications).
Can confirm, live in the old GDR. Where I am is picking up, but still has quite a few empty blocks.

Yes, if you had read the thread VP you would see that Greebo had already pointed this out and I had agreed with her.
VP keeps different hours to me, at least online. Also, because of his memory problems, he doesn't read to the end of a thread before replying.

not disputing what you say, or suggesting that it should not be done, but doesn't Germany have a problem that while it has a great deal of housing and facilities in the East going spare, what it doesn't have going spare in the East is jobs...

this arrangement is fine if Germany is talking about temporary support to people who will, in time, either go west or return to their home countries, but if the suggestion is that Germany should put 800,000 into place with few jobs, and then another 800,000 the year after ad nausuem, and immagining them staying there, then its just filling the East with greater unemployment - which of course will have follow on consequences.

i'm not suggestting that such a fate is worse than geing in Syria, or spending your life in a railway station in Hungary, but its not a panacea.

From what I can make out, there's been concerted efforts through infrastructure and other investment by the state and the lande to create sustainable industrial and service sector employment, so there's an "uptick" on that front, and I suspect that the state is taking a mild punt that the refugees (a majority of whom are the "professional" class) will act as an economic stimulus, rather than a brake on further economic and social progress in the east.
And I don't believe the intent is to"flood" the east with refugees, but rather that pragmatism dictates that during this phase of the crisis, it's best to use easily-available space first, while preparing to seed the refugees throughout the country as a whole.

It would be high irony and a long time coming if the refugee crisis which Cameron and his colleagues have used to play the xenophobia card, blew up in their faces.

indeed it would - Camerons' problem is that not only can he not resist jumping on a bandwagon, he is unable to see when he should jump off it.

to call him a lightweight is to insult lightweights....

Where do you get that from?
VP's resting at the moment. It's been repeatedly stated in the media (online as well as on paper) that the current wave of Syrian refugees are mostly doctors or similar, in terms of education and training. Don't believe me? Use google and your fingers.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, next time you feel the urge to troll, try using google and your fingers.

VP's resting at the moment. It's been repeatedly stated in the media (online as well as on paper) that the current wave of Syrian refugees are mostly doctors or similar, in terms of education and training. Don't believe me? Use google and your fingers.

Sorry, I've been following the story and have seen nothing to suggest that most of the refugees are professionals. It might be true, though it seems unlikely. If you have any evidence, why not post it?

I've posted this as there doesn't seem to be anything recent that deals solely with this issue. I know there's the Calais thread but that's more of a resource for individuals who wish to help. The scale of the issue is vast imo; in the Middle East the primary driver is the war in Syria as evidenced by this article but there are many refugees from other countries too. It really requires a concerted response from governments as they are the entities with the resources to provide aid and assistance The people of Germany at least are setting a good example and the government there is too. But here instead in the UK we are presented with the likes of Theresa May using dog-whistle psychology to appeal to the little Englanders and unfortunately it seems to appeal to a lot of people. The number of xenophobic comments in that article are frankly depressing. It makes me ashamed to be English tbh.

So what is to be done, or is anything to be done at all?
in reply to your question here and your question in the title, there has to a) be the will among governments - particularly governments in the middle east - that ending the conflicts which drive people to europe is a good thing. that does not seem to be the case, as the wars in iraq / syria / yemen / libya / afghanistan are either caused by the actions of western governments, proxy wars for other countries or a mixture of the two; and b) the will that there should be a proper, equitable settlement in the middle east to replace the failed sykes-picot, including a resolution of the palestine question; and c) a decision to make the funds available after any such general peace to rebuild the middle east - and not to impose conditions on how those countries are in future governed - there can be no imposition of democracy or dictatorship, it ought to be up to each country's population to decide on their mode of government - in other words, no interference from washington or elsewhere, no further coups or air wars etc.

so there you have it. ain't going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom