Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend A Chef's Knife

BTW Yuwupi, it's probably worth a trip to the shop to 'audition' a few knives and to see what you prefer. Japanese knife blades tend to be lighter and designed for slicing, rather than the rocking motion taught by most Western cookery schools. They're generally of harder steels, sharpened to more acute angles - in theory giving much sharper edges that stay sharp for longer. The downside is that they lack the heft of European blades, they chip easier as a result of that hardness and tend to lack the comfort and finish of good European knives. Generally it's easier to sharpen softer steel at shallower angles too.

If you're looking for a blade to chop large veg often, then something like a Nakiri/Usaba may be for you - a kind of half cleaver. Combine that with a small, sharp blade like you currently use and you should have most purposes covered, slicing roasts and butchery perhaps excepted. Personally I use a nakiri for most purposes, often finding the sharper point and longer blade of the traditional European chef's knife shape a little redundant. Mostly it's veg prep for me admittedly.

I probably do need to go somewhere to actually look. That likely isn't anywhere in this state. I'm due for a road trip to Kansas City or Chicago anyway. :)

<pedantry>
No, you'll need a steel to sharpen it, you'll need a stone to hone it. :)
Basically, you "touch up" the edge with the steel, and then once in a blue moon (okay, a bit more regularly than that, especially if you're careless with your blades) you'll need to use the stone to smooth out nicks and bumps in the edge/open up a new edge.
</pedantry>

Will one of those things with a double set of rollers work to sharpen those? I have this handheld thing that you draw through it that seems to work well enough on everything else.

Will one of those things with a double set of rollers work to sharpen those? I have this handheld thing that you draw through it that seems to work well enough on everything else.

Yep, the carbide rod/roller type of sharpener are fine unless you really ding your knife, in which case you either use a whetstone, or find a local knife sharpener (usually the guy who also repairs everyone's electrical goods, I've found).

Normally I'd agree, but the salts can have a swiftly-corrosive effect on carbon steel blades. That's fine if you're happy with the possibility that you might have to replace them every 5 or so years, but not brilliant for cutlery that has a lifetime guarantee if you don't put them in the dishwasher, IYSWIM.
Well they're going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later thanks to the butcher who sharpened them last gouging a chunk out of one :mad:

I couldn't bear putting my knives in a dishwasher. It's not hard to wipe the things quickly with a washing up minge.

Honestly, I've just about got to the stage when I can honestly begin to say that I've got to grips with the whetstones. The thought of those carefully cultivated edges jangling around in a dishwasher cycle makes me shudder a little

I don't even have a dishwasher.

Because I have unnaturally small hands and poor grip, I find a small knife so much easier to handle than a heavier one with a larger blade, so I prefer knives that are good quality but less than 5 inches, as that's what suits my hand and grip best. The best tool for the job is the one that you can use best to get a good result, if someone is telling you that you are using the wrong tool it is possible that it is just wrong for them - someone with large hands will naturally prefer different tools than someone with small hands. The most important thing is to use a knife that feels comfortable for you to grip and gives good results because of a high quality blade, the balance and weight have to be right for you though, it's not a case of "one size fits all".

I couldn't bear putting my knives in a dishwasher. It's not hard to wipe the things quickly with a washing up minge.
it is when you have a million and one other things going on too in life - sacrifices have had to be made and this is one of them

there will be a time when I get them all professionally re-sharpened and they won't go in, but right now it's just one of those little things that adds to stuff to do and I just don't have the head space. I know it sounds stupid but anything, absolutely anything, that needs me to do something has had to be shelved :(

the butcher gouging a chunk out hasn't helped because now I don't care about them as much as I did - they're BEAUTIFUL knives, gorgeous to handle and use and look at :cool: idiot man :mad:

Global cooks knife does me very nicely, regularly sharpened with the carbide rollers and not put through the dishwasher. Also have a set of less than top of the range Henckels which does the job for paring, bread etc. I generally keep half of them sharp and half a little blunt or the rest of the family are too scared to use them. I have one of these a mate brought me back from China for bigger stuff like butternut squash, going through bone, scaring the nippers etc:

127131444_3e70b84535_z.jpg

It's the tradeoff - Japanese style knives are sharper, but more fragile and a bugger to sharpen properly.
Western knives aren't quite as sharp, but hardier and an idiot can sharpen them.

On a budget, John Lewis' own brand are good, as are Victorinox. The Victorinox ones are stamped, rather than forged, but still have a good heft and balance and stay pretty sharp considering their price. I've known a few professionals who have a set of them for when they don't want to use their hyper-expensive other set of blades.

<pedantry>
No, you'll need a steel to sharpen it, you'll need a stone to hone it. :)
Basically, you "touch up" the edge with the steel, and then once in a blue moon (okay, a bit more regularly than that, especially if you're careless with your blades) you'll need to use the stone to smooth out nicks and bumps in the edge/open up a new edge.
</pedantry>
Indeed.

Well they're going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later thanks to the butcher who sharpened them last gouging a chunk out of one :mad:

You're kidding? :eek: I'm VERY sorry to hear that!
How the frig do you gouge a chunk out of a knife when sharpening it? It should be impossible! :confused:
I bet the twat dropped the knife. The only time I've ever seen a big ding on a blade was when a mate dropped his Henckel and the blade caught the edge of his (steel) prep surface. We ended up having to grind the the blade down by about 3mm, and then regrind the bevels - long and tedious as feck.

Honestly, I've just about got to the stage when I can honestly begin to say that I've got to grips with the whetstones. The thought of those carefully cultivated edges jangling around in a dishwasher cycle makes me shudder a little

My mate used to put his 1960s-vintage Sabatiers in the dishwasher. Guess who ended up replacing all the Indian Rosewood handles/re-riveting because the finish got eaten through and the wood turned to sponge? :facepalm:

Because I have unnaturally small hands and poor grip, I find a small knife so much easier to handle than a heavier one with a larger blade, so I prefer knives that are good quality but less than 5 inches, as that's what suits my hand and grip best. The best tool for the job is the one that you can use best to get a good result, if someone is telling you that you are using the wrong tool it is possible that it is just wrong for them - someone with large hands will naturally prefer different tools than someone with small hands. The most important thing is to use a knife that feels comfortable for you to grip and gives good results because of a high quality blade, the balance and weight have to be right for you though, it's not a case of "one size fits all".

I only buy knives with decently shaped grips because I have a similar problem to you (including the small hands - they're only small though, not tiny like fogbat's are!). I prefer wood to plastic, and I really dislike metal grips - they never feel to me like I've actually got a good grip on them, however "ergonomically" they're shaped.

Yes, I think that's why I mostly using paring knives. The largest blade I have is about 8 inches.

Cheers Freida mate.

That block is on amazon for £45

Going to Asda then Dumelm then the independent chef shop in town

This for 12 quid from IKEA is great value. Had one a few years now and still as good as new

This for 12 quid from IKEA is great value. Had one a few years now and still as good as new
Confess I don't really really get on with cleavers. Trained with standard knives and stick with them.

Got a decent Sabatier set for £40 down from £80 in the end so happy with that. Did pick up a cheap steel as well (£3)

Might treat myself... Miss my cleaver from China (they do a more Chinese version from a quick look).

For those after cheap knives, I actually liked these... we bought a set for the workshop, just because obviously they're going to get abused (communal kitchen for 4 small workshops, we all like cooking, have the odd barbecue etc). They've held up well, grips are comfortable, very sharp out of the box. Not had to tweak them yet, but tbh it's not hard to put a serviceable edge on a knife these days, with jigs etc. Ridiculous value for money. Funny name.

e2a: when I say the forslag (snigger) grips are comfortable; they look like shitty plastic, but actually have a nice rubberised texture.

Last edited:
Might treat myself... Miss my cleaver from China (they do a more Chinese version from a quick look).

For those after cheap knives, I actually liked these... we bought a set for the workshop, just because obviously they're going to get abused (communal kitchen for 4 small workshops, we all like cooking, have the odd barbecue etc). They've held up well, grips are comfortable, very sharp out of the box. Not had to tweak them yet, but tbh it's not hard to put a serviceable edge on a knife these days, with jigs etc. Ridiculous value for money. Funny name.

e2a: when I say the forslag (snigger) grips are comfortable; they look like shitty plastic, but actually have a nice rubberised texture.

That is useful info, I have arthritis in my hands, it's fairly mild but one of the items I have most issues with is my favourite stainless steel knife - I have dropped it (and cut my foot as a result) twice recently, the knife actually kind of made a comedy "doiiiinnggg" noise as it stabbed me in the foot when I dropped it - as much as I love the knives I have, I need something that suits my poor grip better.

I’m not a chef and i’ve Never tried any other named knives but I love my Global set

Got the sharpener recommended and they get a sharpen every 6 or so weeks. mega easy 20 slashes on each grade, very satisfying

Dangerously sharp and easy to keep sharp. On issue I have is trying to get the house mates not to chuck them in the bowl while washing everything else. A couple of the have quite obvious nicks

I’ve never used a cleaver but I really fancy having a go with one

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom