Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend A Chef's Knife

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
I've been doing more cooking and realized that I almost always use paring knives. I even use them to cut open large squash and hunks of meat. After looking at my knife set it appears that what I'm really missing is a large chef-style knife. However, I'm completely hopeless as far as brands of household goods. I usually just use a hand-me-down or something cheap.

Any recommendations?

Global knives are great. Expensive, maybe £70 for one. If you get one be sure to get a ceramic sharpener at the same time and sharpen it every week.

I have the 20 cm cooks knife and use it practically every day. The difference a good, sharp knife makes is amazing.

Global knives are great. Expensive, maybe £70 for one. If you get one be sure to get a ceramic sharpener at the same time and sharpen it every week.

I have the 20 cm cooks knife and use it practically every day. The difference a good, sharp knife makes is amazing.

Yes, I was chopping basil for pesto last night and realized that a paring knife just doesn't cut it.

I was figuring around $150 or so for a good knife so that looks like it might work.

I just checked and it's the 18cm blade knife I have. Just make sure you don't put it in the dishwasher.

Something cheap but available in your neck of the woods would be an Old Hickory 8" slicing knife. About $20-25 incl. shipping on your side of the pond. They're not flash, but they're good honest full-tang well-balanced carbon steel knives (I had one of their boning (fnar) knives for years until some bastard, my dad, probably, pinched it!) with riveted handles. Take the usual care with them (wipe clean, then dry the blade immediately, never put in a dishwasher. If you're really anal, lightly oil the blade after drying), and they last nearly forever.

Never heard of the brand before. Looking online it does look like they're quality knives.
Wusthofs are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, and unlike a lot of their competitors, they don't compromise on production values. They still make their entire output "old-style". I was almost tempted into buying a couple last time I was in Germany, where they're about 30% cheaper than anywhere else.

I just checked and it's the 18cm blade knife I have. Just make sure you don't put it in the dishwasher.

You shouldn't really put any cutlery in a dishwasher, although everyone seems to put their dinner service cutlery in. You certainly should never put a decent prep knife in one, whether the blade is carbon steel or stainless.

everything in my house goes in the dishwasher - including my rosendahl knives, they get sharpened and life is too short

Reactions: Chz

I have a global and their expensive sharpener and it's impossible to keep sharp. Edited to add because I have not being doing it right. :facepalm:

Wusthofs are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, and unlike a lot of their competitors, they don't compromise on production values. They still make their entire output "old-style". I was almost tempted into buying a couple last time I was in Germany, where they're about 30% cheaper than anywhere else.

Easy to sharpen? I've been looking at getting a proper knife for ages. And how long?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/93247-wusthof-classic-chefs-knife.aspx

Easy to sharpen? I've been looking at getting a proper knife for ages. And how long?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/93247-wusthof-classic-chefs-knife.aspx

My personal preference is something between 6 and 8 inches, blade-length. Big enough to deal with just about anything, prep-wise.

As for "easy to sharpen", if you own and know how to use a steel, it's a piece of piss. If you don't know how to use a steel, use a standard edge sharpener similar to the one on the page (one suited for the grind angle of "western" rather than Asian knives, though!) and you won't go far wrong. Although it seems like a lot of money, most decent knives, whether carbon or stainless steel (my personal preference is for carbon steel, but that's all it is - a preference) will last and last. My dad is still using the 12" butchering knife he bought 50 years ago. The blade is narrower now, after 50 years of being steeled, but it's still as sharp and effective as ever!

everything in my house goes in the dishwasher - including my rosendahl knives, they get sharpened and life is too short

Normally I'd agree, but the salts can have a swiftly-corrosive effect on carbon steel blades. That's fine if you're happy with the possibility that you might have to replace them every 5 or so years, but not brilliant for cutlery that has a lifetime guarantee if you don't put them in the dishwasher, IYSWIM.

My bro was a professional chef and left me his Wusthof. It's ace. You'll need a stone to sharpen it.

<pedantry>
No, you'll need a steel to sharpen it, you'll need a stone to hone it. :)
Basically, you "touch up" the edge with the steel, and then once in a blue moon (okay, a bit more regularly than that, especially if you're careless with your blades) you'll need to use the stone to smooth out nicks and bumps in the edge/open up a new edge.
</pedantry>

I use Global most of the time, they're alright - they do me perfectly alright but I know she wasn't that impressed by them (or her chef mates), saying they spoil too quickly. Before Christmas I got a bit of a stupid head on me and spent a shit load of money on a ceramic knife, I love it. It is insanely sharp, lethally so - you really need to treat with TLC when using it and not using it.

http://www.kyoceraknives.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

Far from cheap but they'll last me the rest of my life if I look after them so therefore they're worth it IMO.

Kyocera-KYOTOP-Sandgarden-Ceramic-Knives.gif

Kyocera High Tech Ceramic HIP KYOTOP Sandgarden Series

HIP (Hot Isostatic Processing) high density blades - These blades are twice as sharp as a normal ceramic blade.

Elegant design coupled with outstanding sharpness.

Luxurious pakkawood handle that is both durable and moisture resistant.

The robust blade will hold its edge much longer than steel.

Completely stain and rust proof, these blades are impervious to food acids that commonly discolour steel.

The ceramic blades will not impart any metallic taste or smell, whilst maintaining the fresh tastes of food. Their use will also not brown fruits or vegetables.

Extremely easy to clean.

Non stick ceramic blade.

A joy to use, these knives are lightweight and perfectly balanced.

Peace of mind with the Kyocera 5 Year Limited Guarantee.​

<pedantry>
No, you'll need a steel to sharpen it, you'll need a stone to hone it. :)
Basically, you "touch up" the edge with the steel, and then once in a blue moon (okay, a bit more regularly than that, especially if you're careless with your blades) you'll need to use the stone to smooth out nicks and bumps in the edge/open up a new edge.
</pedantry>

Sir, your pedantry is misplaced! Sharpen on a stone, hone with a er... honing steel.

Sharpening always removes material, honing can, but usually in a totally different context (specifically abrasive surface treatments for metals). Honing in the context of sharpening means treatment of a blade involving minimal removal of material - honing with a steel is actually folding the existing edge back into the correct configuration.

I use Global most of the time, they're alright - they do me perfectly alright but I know she wasn't that impressed by them (or her chef mates), saying they spoil too quickly. Before Christmas I got a bit of a stupid head on me and spent a shit load of money on a ceramic knife, I love it. It is insanely sharp, lethally so - you really need to treat with TLC when using it and not using it.

http://www.kyoceraknives.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

Far from cheap but they'll last me the rest of my life if I look after them so therefore they're worth it IMO.

Kyocera-KYOTOP-Sandgarden-Ceramic-Knives.gif

Kyocera High Tech Ceramic HIP KYOTOP Sandgarden Series​
HIP (Hot Isostatic Processing) high density blades - These blades are twice as sharp as a normal ceramic blade.​
Elegant design coupled with outstanding sharpness.​
Luxurious pakkawood handle that is both durable and moisture resistant.​
The robust blade will hold its edge much longer than steel.​
Completely stain and rust proof, these blades are impervious to food acids that commonly discolour steel.​
The ceramic blades will not impart any metallic taste or smell, whilst maintaining the fresh tastes of food. Their use will also not brown fruits or vegetables.​
Extremely easy to clean.​
Non stick ceramic blade.​
A joy to use, these knives are lightweight and perfectly balanced.​
Peace of mind with the Kyocera 5 Year Limited Guarantee.​

I've never understood why pakkawood is described as "luxurious" by anyone. It's an industrial wood/plastic laminate. It's no better than loads of other similar laminates like dymondwood. Personally, I'd prefer micarta, or a nice piece of amazaque.

Sir, your pedantry is misplaced! Sharpen on a stone, hone with a er... honing steel.

Sharpening always removes material, honing can, but usually in a totally different context (specifically abrasive surface treatments for metals). Honing in the context of sharpening means treatment of a blade involving minimal removal of material - honing with a steel is actually folding the existing edge back into the correct configuration.

Damme, but you're right, sir. Curse you! :mad:

Global user here in the main too, although I've had most of my blades for the best part of a 2 decades. If I had to choose a good set of Japanese knives at reasonable(isn) prices I'd go for the Hattori HD series, or Gustavs/Wusthofs/Henckels for European style blades.

I use a Global as well - specifically the 14cm vegetable knife I think - love it, and use it for pretty much everything. Had it about 9 years now.

Global user here in the main too, although I've had most of my blades for the best part of a 2 decades. If I had to choose a good set of Japanese knives at reasonable(isn) prices I'd go for the Hattori HD series,
or Gustavs/Wusthofs/Henckels for European style blades.

Gustav's are brilliant value for money. Never used one but I have looked at some to replace my mediocre Globals.

Globals used to be pretty much the only show in town for Japanese style blades once, plus they once boasted a different steel composition. It's hard to see them as the natural choices in a more competitive marketplace, but they're still decent knives. Outside of knife nerds, the vast majority of folks would be hugely happy with them

large mundial for the big stuff. holds an edge and strong enough to lean on.
19cm victorinox very useful mid size.
kiwi brand, made in Thailand make good vege cleavers. thin and very sharp. my large one cost 8 dollars. stupid cheap really.

BTW Yuwupi, it's probably worth a trip to the shop to 'audition' a few knives and to see what you prefer. Japanese knife blades tend to be lighter and designed for slicing, rather than the rocking motion taught by most Western cookery schools. They're generally of harder steels, sharpened to more acute angles - in theory giving much sharper edges that stay sharp for longer. The downside is that they lack the heft of European blades, they chip easier as a result of that hardness and tend to lack the comfort and finish of good European knives. Generally it's easier to sharpen softer steel at shallower angles too.

If you're looking for a blade to chop large veg often, then something like a Nakiri/Usaba may be for you - a kind of half cleaver. Combine that with a small, sharp blade like you currently use and you should have most purposes covered, slicing roasts and butchery perhaps excepted. Personally I use a nakiri for most purposes, often finding the sharper point and longer blade of the traditional European chef's knife shape a little redundant. Mostly it's veg prep for me admittedly.

Back
Top Bottom