Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reclaim the Streets -1996 M41

On a whim, I searched for urban75 on that site. Eek!
It were probably that stink of misogyny that stopped me using it in the first place.

Boys and their toys (rigs). I think its got a little better, but as an old cunt, I only see the young peoples free party scene from a distance and there still feels like theres a good bit of toxicity there

It were probably that stink of misogyny that stopped me using it in the first place.

Boys and their toys (rigs). I think its got a little better, but as an old cunt, I only see the young peoples free party scene from a distance and there still feels like theres a good bit of toxicity there
I've seen plenty of big boys with their egos but also met a bunch of well sound heads also holding it down just not making a big deal about it - as ever an empty vessel makes the most noise (but you need to put a driver in it first) x

I've seen plenty of big boys with their egos but also met a bunch of well sound heads also holding it down just not making a big deal about it - as ever an empty vessel makes the most noise (but you need to put a driver in it first) x
Is that your evaluation of the prominent members of Urban75? :confused:

That's pretty astute I'd say :cool:

i was part of the cycle crew. Unsound were there playing all sorts. I got sun stroke and was a mess later back in Brixton.

:oops:
Amazing! Was the cycle crew a diversion, just another way of getting people to the site, both, or something else?
Edit: love the handle, +10% is normally the right speed for most tunes ey x

Hello gang I'm new here - I have used the search function but got a couple of burning questions that haven't been answered anywhere I've looked. Sorry if this is rehashing stuff that's already been posted. Wanting to do a radio show on RTS, and specifically the 1996 one cos the story I see everywhere about people planting trees is fucking nuts and I love it. The piece I'm doing is kind of leaning more into soundsystem culture and the relationship between protest and party. My curiosity comes from working with soundsystems and being loosely involved in some anarchist actions here in Liverpool - I run a show on Melodic Distraction which is so far just tunes but wanting to get into party/protest history - I've got a pal who's speaking to me about the history of the tune Propaganda and the Brains Kan parties in Norfolk, but want to cover a bunch of different stuff. So I was wondering if anyone knows:

The first tune that got dropped on the day of the M41 RTS? (from the footage I've seen it was an acid techno tune and I'm shite with that, more of a hardcore kid myself)
And what soundsystems might've been involved, what gear they were using - was it suicide bits or anyone's actual pride and joy?

mods feel free to move me/delete me/ask me for more info

Cheers/sorry in advance xx
Oh, I was there. Was part of the crew that erected the tripods and got the first people up the tripods just ahead of the police arriving. Then that awful moment when we thought it was all over when the police surrounded us, then the moment when we saw thousands of peeps running up the road towards us and the police backed off. Wasn't really my plan to spend the day in police cells. But it did take a while, and a lot of cider, before i calmed down and could enjoy everything that was going on. I was so hyper that when some journalist tried to interview me I just babbled some non words and they walked away!!

I think I went on the first ever RTS demo just a few years earlier. We had a papier mache bus that we walked around the west end, on the road to hold the traffic up. There were about a dozen of us and it was nerve wracking as hell. Every demo we did got so much bigger after that.

Oh, I was there. Was part of the crew that erected the tripods and got the first people up the tripods just ahead of the police arriving. Then that awful moment when we thought it was all over when the police surrounded us, then the moment when we saw thousands of peeps running up the road towards us and the police backed off. Wasn't really my plan to spend the day in police cells. But it did take a while, and a lot of cider, before i calmed down and could enjoy everything that was going on. I was so hyper that when some journalist tried to interview me I just babbled some non words and they walked away!!

I think I went on the first ever RTS demo just a few years earlier. We had a papier mache bus that we walked around the west end, on the road to hold the traffic up. There were about a dozen of us and it was nerve wracking as hell. Every demo we did got so much bigger after that.
A good bit of history. I thought the first one was Camden High Street. A lot of us heard of this and thought oooh!

A good bit of history. I thought the first one was Camden High Street. A lot of us heard of this and thought oooh!
oh, the first street party was, but before that we did more traditional style demonstrations and marches. Shane Collins was leading the group back then and he did take photographs but I've ever seen them.

oh, the first street party was, but before that we did more traditional style demonstrations and marches. Shane Collins was leading the group back then and he did take photographs but I've ever seen them.
Good stuff. I know Shane. I may shamelessly curry favour in the hope of viewing them. :)

The article implies everyone set off from Liverpool St. I went with critical mass and I thought we met at Euston?

Back
Top Bottom