Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rating the watchability of sports that I catch a few minutes of randomly

The Floor 7/10 - the purest form of gymnastics with no silly equipment like the pommel horse, just you and the floor and you can basically do whatever. Doing triple twisty whatsits and landing on two feet without flinching is mighty impressive. Only a 7 because it's still up to the judges to score with some sort of opaque system so you can never tell who might be winning without the commentator's help.

No they get 90 seconds for four shots. Two shots & two shots from the other team & then repeated. Worth having a look. Well I enjoyed it anyhow. :thumbs:

Watched a bit of the epee, could appreciate the difficulty but the cagey back and forth was less fun than waling away with pugelsticks on Gladiators 5/10

Street skateboarding 5/10. I'm sure it's "breathtaking" as the commentator says but it just looks like the kids outside my local shopping centre. No triple backflips or whatever.

The French guy appears to have got lost, should be playing cricket.

I'm just watching looking at it on catch up, I'd go 8/10, but I played a lot of Tony Hawk's pro skater.

Taekwondo is good entertainment for the couple of minutes it takes to realise that yes, this extremely silly activity really is an actual competitive thing that people do, presumably on purpose.

3/10

Surfing 2/10. Lots of waiting for them to swim back out. They're really at the mercy of the sea and keep falling off. It's all points-based so totally unclear what's going on.

Last edited:
Judo was weird. 4/10.
I'm assuming that you watched Olympic judo. Real judo isn't bad, but like most other sports when it becomes an Olympic event it becomes shit. Ice hockey comes to mind: NHL is entertaining, Olympic hockey is shit. Baseball is fun to watch live with beer and hotdogs. Olympic baseball is just boring: who can play, who wants to play, who cares.

Taekwondo is good entertainment for the couple of minutes it takes to realise that yes, this extremely silly activity really is an actual competitive thing that people do, presumably on purpose.

3/10

Apparently there's two types of taekwondo. The one in the Olympics is all about kicks and is quite dull.

The other type involves punches and parries and is more entertaining

I'm sure the IOC had the purest of motives for choosing the dull one

Surfing 2/10. Lots of waiting for them to swim back out. They're really at the mercy of the sea and keep falling off. It's all points-based so totally unclear what's going on.
I love surfing. Its great to watch once you understand it.

Mountain biking should be exciting but is mainly just single file cycling through the woods

2/10 for the sport

9/10 for Tom Pidcock winning

Yeh I agree. I tuned in about half way through and I don't think saw a single passing manoeuvre. Does it all happen at the start?

Skateboarding. Awful. No idea why 13yos rolling around is an Olympic 'sport' and yet cricket, arguably the second most popular sport in the world isn't in there. Though the commentary was almost worth it.

The best I've seen so far - the badminton. Insane skill levels/reactions.

Apparently there's two types of taekwondo. The one in the Olympics is all about kicks and is quite dull.

The other type involves punches and parries and is more entertaining

I'm sure the IOC had the purest of motives for choosing the dull one
tbf there is an issue when adapting martial arts into martial sports suitable for the Olympics. It does generally make them duller, but you need a clear points system and you also need to tighten up on safety by adding rules and prohibiting certain moves. There are similar issues with judo.

Back
Top Bottom